• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone Run At Least An 8 Inch Wide Rim?

but the rims still stick out past the fenders though with a 19mm offset. from what ive gathered the tour has narrower fenders. and andy im up to 275's in the front now :)

Yes, which is what rexx seems to want. And also, the height you're at jaged, you won't have much camber, even with the camber kits.. unless you've done something else. With the height rexx is at, he'll have more camber, therefore making it fit better. And it also looks like the rims stick past the fender even further due to the fact the that tires are so wide and are bulging around the rim.

So I'll be basically tucking the rim inside the fender now on the 17x8? For some reason with offsets in wheels, I have a hard time imagining the picture so forgive me hahaha. I'd like to be able to poke, but if that's too much without having to do the work, I can deal with tucking.

Forgive me for wording it that way.. I can see how you got that confused. It'll still poke out, but it'll be an 8mm less of a poke. Hopefully that cleared it up a bit.

a hoosier 245 is actually a 255. im almost stock height due to the 225's i was running rubbing like mad on the inner fender and the top of the inner fender under compression. i took the camber plates out cause at full camber i was eating wheel bearings

I'm running 235/40-17 on 17x8 ATS CompLites. I don't recall what the offset is, but it fits pretty much fine. It was rubbing the upper/front plastic retainer that holds the front liner in... but I bent that part up and haven't had a problem.

That combo doesn't rub the strut either... like 225/50-16's did on OEM SVT rims.

That definitely makes sense for me now haha. Sweet. So I'm looking to do probably a 205 40 tire, as well.

Haha man no problem. I'd love to see how you're car end's up looking!!

a hoosier 245 is actually a 255. im almost stock height due to the 225's i was running rubbing like mad on the inner fender and the top of the inner fender under compression. i took the camber plates out cause at full camber i was eating wheel bearings

Yeah exactly. From I've seen, most every R-comp tire runs fairly wide, since it's highly unlikely rexx will be tracking the car with the wheel setup he has.

I'm running 235/40-17 on 17x8 ATS CompLites. I don't recall what the offset is, but it fits pretty much fine. It was rubbing the upper/front plastic retainer that holds the front liner in... but I bent that part up and haven't had a problem.

That combo doesn't rub the strut either... like 225/50-16's did on OEM SVT rims.

I hate you (for having the ATS Complites...).

Did a little experiment for this thread today. Took a rear wheel off my Mustang and mounted it on the Contour.

Mustang Tires: 255/45R17 with a 9" rim width (offset unknown).
Contour is on factory suspension.

As they say a thousand words are worth a picture, so onto some pictures.

As you can see, they stick out a little.
IMG_20101104_112021.jpg

IMG_20101104_111951.jpg

But they fill the wheel arch nicely.
IMG_20101104_111913.jpg

And, there is space to pull them in some with a higher offset wheel.
IMG_20101104_111711.jpg

The only problem is that they do touch the wheel liners at full-lock, but not enough to flex the plastic.
IMG_20101104_111639.jpg

IMG_20101104_111415.jpg

Although, that could have more to do with the difference in overall height.
255/45/17 = 26.0"
215/45/17 = 24.6"
IMG_20101104_112703.jpg

Even so, they still fit under spring perch.
IMG_20101104_111746.jpg

Haha man no problem. I'd love to see how you're car end's up looking!!

Yeah exactly. From I've seen, most every R-comp tire runs fairly wide, since it's highly unlikely rexx will be tracking the car with the wheel setup he has.

Me either. It'll be about Spring time when I get the rims and tires on. Ive got some other things i want to do first before I get them. We'll see though, I might change my mind hahaha

And I'll be keeping the E1s with some good stickier tires just in case. Not that I'll be doing autocross, but maybe for stuff like, the Dragon Run.

Did a little experiment for this thread today. Took a rear wheel off my Mustang and mounted it on the Contour.

Mustang Tires: 255/45R17 with a 9" rim width (offset unknown).
Contour is on factory suspension.

You should REALLY find out what the offset is on those rims. I'm glad you posted pics of that 9 setup. Of course, the tires I'll have would be A LOT smaller so I can clear the fenders a little bit more. Besides, I'm not running any fender liners so I won't have that problem.

the 17x8" that i run are saleen replica wheels. i would also know what the offset of those 9" are. did you try and drive the car at all? things are all fine and dandy sitting in the driveway, going around a corner at 60 mph is completely differnet

I only drove it around the driveway and "back 40" enough to ensure that the suspension was properly settled before taking any pictures. If I had better dampers and springs and/or larger anti-roll bars I might consider running it around on the street a bit, but this factory stuff is soft enough that I am certain I would get body contact from large bumps, ie. MI roads, or body roll during high-speed cornering.

I will try to make time to measure the backspacing this weekend, but no promises.

Me either. It'll be about Spring time when I get the rims and tires on. Ive got some other things i want to do first before I get them. We'll see though, I might change my mind hahaha

And I'll be keeping the E1s with some good stickier tires just in case. Not that I'll be doing autocross, but maybe for stuff like, the Dragon Run.

You should REALLY find out what the offset is on those rims. I'm glad you posted pics of that 9 setup. Of course, the tires I'll have would be A LOT smaller so I can clear the fenders a little bit more. Besides, I'm not running any fender liners so I won't have that problem.

Nice, can't wait. And that sounds cool. IMO Go with Dunlop Direzza Star Specs for the stickier tires. Well worth the money. One of the best summer tires out there.

Also, take into consideration his ride height compared to what yours will be and also every day use like jaged said.

Yeah, I'm thinking of keeping the 8s for now. At least till I'm comfortable with modding and messing with the fenders and what not.

And thanks for the tip on the tires. I'll look into those for sure.

So I'm rethinking the stretch and going for more of a stretch now lol I looked at photos of the 205s, and man, I wanted to stretch some more. So I looked at 195s, and I really like those. The 185s seem like a lot, but also, I like the look of them. But it's pushing it for sure.

I will try to make time to measure the backspacing this weekend, but no promises.

I have not had an opportunity to get a wheel off the mustang again yet and will be out of town the rest of this week into next week. I have not forgotten, just short on time right now, but I am still hoping to fit it in before the car goes into storage for the season of white hell.

way way over due, but as a side effect of continued troubles the mustang it is going into long-term (indefinite) storage and is now sitting on old junker rims, so I finally have more info. probably too late to be helpful, but while cleaning the mustang rims I discovered casting markings that I failed to notice previously: 17X9 offset +20

IMG_20110627_192813.jpg

IMG_20110627_192752.jpg

the mustang will be picked up for transport to storage on Sat. July 2 and the wheels will be in it in storage, but if you still need additional photos of the wheels/tires on the contour I can do so before then (provided the weather cooperates).

Roll and pull, and stretch and poke hahaha. I'm going with a less aggressive setup than that 17x9. I'll be doing a 17x8 et 15, which has a little less poke than those J9s.

Pope, by the way, I can't thank you enough for those pictures.

No problem, I'm actually leaning toward getting some thinner but wider rubber and making those my summer wheels when my current tires are shot now.

Back