• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone Run At Least An 8 Inch Wide Rim?

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
Before anyone goes off about this, yes, I'll be doing at least 8 inches. I'm going for a different style that yes, lately has been a hot topic on other threads about being ghey, impractical, or bitter in taste.

ANYWAYS, all I'm asking is if anyone on here has done at least an 8 inch wide, preferably a 9 inch wide rim. I'll be doing a mild stretch on them to roll on. I know that stance thread on FJ has show some Focus' running 9" with just rolling fenders, but I wanna know if I can have the same effect with just rolling fenders like they do. (I don't know the clearance differences on the insides of the fender between Contour and Focus) The rims I'm looking at are 17x9 ET20. Would I run into anything on the inside of the fender? Right now, I'm clearing it without fender liners up front with a pretty drastic drop, tucking my tire inside of 225/50 on stock SVT rims. (if you need a picture of the set up you can find them on the boards, or let me know and I'll post one up.)

I'll have to double check my wheels to see the width. I can't rememeber off hand what they are.

Your biggest issue will be clearing the strut. Even with a 7" or 7.5" wide wheel, they come extremely close to the strut. Rolling fenders will only help you on one side.

Yeah. I started thinking about that, too. So that means I'll need something more along the lines of a zero offset, or closest to it if I don't want to go with new studs and spacers.

be careful with the spacers. In some states, you're only allowed to have 1/4" for state inspection, and with the wheel being that far out, i could cause premature bearing failure. I'm sure you can get them to fit fairly easy. I ran my former Tempo wheels for a couple days and they were 7". With a different offset and rolling the fenders, i could easily fit an 8" on there. If you get the right setup, i'm sure it'll work just fine.

You'll need to get wheels with a pretty intense offset. Stock is around 45ish, I think you'll need to get closer to 35/30 for the full 8 inches...

The rims I'm looking at are 17x9 ET20.

You'll need to get wheels with a pretty intense offset. Stock is around 45ish, I think you'll need to get closer to 35/30 for the full 8 inches...

The setup I'm looking at has an offset of 20 17x9, is that intense enough for clearance? lol

And I'm pretty sure the stock offset is 43.

Before anyone goes off about this, yes, I'll be doing at least 8 inches. I'm going for a different style that yes, lately has been a hot topic on other threads about being ghey, impractical, or bitter in taste.

ANYWAYS, all I'm asking is if anyone on here has done at least an 8 inch wide, preferably a 9 inch wide rim. I'll be doing a mild stretch on them to roll on. I know that stance thread on FJ has show some Focus' running 9" with just rolling fenders, but I wanna know if I can have the same effect with just rolling fenders like they do. (I don't know the clearance differences on the insides of the fender between Contour and Focus) The rims I'm looking at are 17x9 ET20. Would I run into anything on the inside of the fender? Right now, I'm clearing it without fender liners up front with a pretty drastic drop, tucking my tire inside of 225/50 on stock SVT rims. (if you need a picture of the set up you can find them on the boards, or let me know and I'll post one up.)
I don't mind the look, it's when you start do crazy stretch with the rim poking waayyyy out. That's just dumb.

No one's done a 9 inch rim, a few have done 8 inch. The Axis 19" rims came in 8" width, and one other guy is rolling on custom wheels from svt4stv. The specs are 17x8 +45. Personally, if and when I get my other track rims, they will be 17x8 +40. Yes, the Focus shares the same bolt pattern, but they do no share the same platform/body structure so comparing the 2 isn't really relevant. Just because they can fit a 9" wheel under their fender's doesn't mean we can. Personally, I think a +20 offset is too much for this car without adjustable camber. The inner clearance definately isn't the problem here, it's the outer clearance. You'd probably have to run a 195 tire on it to clear, and please don't.

I'll have to double check my wheels to see the width. I can't rememeber off hand what they are.

Your biggest issue will be clearing the strut. Even with a 7" or 7.5" wide wheel, they come extremely close to the strut. Rolling fenders will only help you on one side.

If you're talking about your OZ's, they are a 7" width. And see above for the last part.

Yeah. I started thinking about that, too. So that means I'll need something more along the lines of a zero offset, or closest to it if I don't want to go with new studs and spacers.

NO. A 0 offset will NOT fit. I mean sure, if you wanted to spend $3000 making them fit, then by all means make them fit.

I'm fairly certain stock is +49. A +30/35 is on the edge of pushing it, but with the right tire that'd look pretty decent for the flushness.

And I'm pretty sure the stock offset is 43.

See above ^.

You wont be able to put any camber on those bad boys. Just remember that. I would like to see it though.

+1.. like I said above.

Edit: Striker beat me to the stock offset punch.

I didnt mean trying to go to an offset of 0 when I said that. I know that would be ridiculously crazy. But anyways, I'm trying to stay away from doing a crazy stretch like the 195 like you said. I mean I want a good stretch, but I've seen the 195s on a 9" rim, and that's a lot. I was thinking more of 215. Still a good stretch, but not SUPER extreme like the 195s. And from what you both CRG and Tour said, what exactly do you mean that I won't be able to put camber on them? Are you talking more about the clearance on the shock body/coil inside the fender? Please let me know. I'd really like to run a wide setup with a stretch but I also don't want to run into the major problems that can't be fixed without spending any major money. If I have to, I'll put the camber kit back on, but will that put the same stress on the Ksports like the Koni's have with the top snapping off?

Edit: I just read your post again CRG, and you said the most problem is clearing the fender with the offset being 20. But my question still stands, will that be my problem if the wheels are cambered, the fenders? I prefer not to put the camber kit back on because of the experience with snapping off my Koni. I'll be rolling and pulling the fenders to accomodate for clearance, I mean, I'll have to. But I'd like to know if that's not enough. I'd really like to run the 9" setup and those rims in general as I can get them for a good price brand new, and I actually really like them.

Its going to take quite a bit of fender rolling to get it to fit, maybe more than you realize, and the rear will not be easy to do, let alone to make it look good. You might even want to consider cutting the fenders and grafting on some flares. Either way, you're going to have to do a lot of careful measuring on your car, and on the wheels, and figuring exactly how far you will need to go.

I would also recommend highly getting the camber right. If you're not comfortable w/ the available kit (and I don't blame you) you may want to consider chopping off the top of the tower and welding in plate to use something like a mustang camber/caster plate instead. (personally, I'm partial to the plates offered by Maximum Motorsports)

So then my best bet will probably be less than the 9, and maybe the 8 as the 9 will probably be mad expensive if I want to clear it well. That's what I'm trying to avoid, doing any major work, such as the cutting of the fenders with flares or doing a custom strut tower.

Its going to take quite a bit of fender rolling to get it to fit, maybe more than you realize, and the rear will not be easy to do, let alone to make it look good. You might even want to consider cutting the fenders and grafting on some flares. Either way, you're going to have to do a lot of careful measuring on your car, and on the wheels, and figuring exactly how far you will need to go.

I would also recommend highly getting the camber right. If you're not comfortable w/ the available kit (and I don't blame you) you may want to consider chopping off the top of the tower and welding in plate to use something like a mustang camber/caster plate instead. (personally, I'm partial to the plates offered by Maximum Motorsports)

That's like what Pole120 was doing a little while ago... it would actually be nice to see where's he going with that.. and it was only the front. Also, Maximum Motorsports does have nice suspension components.

So then my best bet will probably be less than the 9, and maybe the 8 as the 9 will probably be mad expensive if I want to clear it well. That's what I'm trying to avoid, doing any major work, such as the cutting of the fenders with flares or doing a custom strut tower.

Yeah i'd say go with the 8" wheel. Run a 215 or 205 tire and you're set. It'd also be nice to know the specs on the 8" wheel, if you know it.

I actually just found the rim in an 8" setup and it's much cheaper too! lol But the offset is even closer to zero than the 9". The specs on these ones are 17x8 ET15. Since it's skinnier than the 9s, I'll probably do a skinnier tire, so maybe the 205s on the 8s. The stock rim is 6.5" wide, right?

i run 225 35 19 on my 19x8 ne-os... i think the offset is 40 not sure though never got any rubbing on the fenders but im not as low as you are.

IMG_6921.jpg

Jaged has 245's on a 17x8". Here's what happens when you do that.

I actually just found the rim in an 8" setup and it's much cheaper too! lol But the offset is even closer to zero than the 9". The specs on these ones are 17x8 ET15. Since it's skinnier than the 9s, I'll probably do a skinnier tire, so maybe the 205s on the 8s. The stock rim is 6.5" wide, right?

Actually, you'll have 18mm more clearance to the strut, and it'll be 8mm further in from the fender than the 17x9 +20 so that looks a lot more promising. Yeah the 205's should be good. Yes the stock rim is 6.5" wide.

Jaged has 245's on a 17x8". Here's what happens when you do that.

Luckily, he won't be running 245's.

but the rims still stick out past the fenders though with a 19mm offset. from what ive gathered the tour has narrower fenders. and andy im up to 275's in the front now :)

Actually, you'll have 18mm more clearance to the strut, and it'll be 8mm further in from the fender than the 17x9 +20 so that looks a lot more promising. Yeah the 205's should be good.

So I'll be basically tucking the rim inside the fender now on the 17x8? For some reason with offsets in wheels, I have a hard time imagining the picture so forgive me hahaha. I'd like to be able to poke, but if that's too much without having to do the work, I can deal with tucking.

Back