• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

alpine vs infinity?

right on, i already picked up an amp, but im also in prospect for a 3l too, so i already skipped dinner, the movie, and the motel room.

I understand that ur trying to save money but to already have the amp and to go with infinity referance would be a mistake. Spend the extra fifty and go kappa you will be much happier.

Skip going out to dinner a few times and spend a little more. Your ears will thank you :) If you get the Kappas, they really really need to be amped to make the most out of their capabilities.

Definitely. I ran the Kappas off the HU for a day or two before my amp came in, and they were terrible. Powered from the amp, they are amazing!

no i really like the price of the references, but since im getting conflicting opinions, ill wait til i see one favored or another.

chris have you gone to a store with UR music and listened to diffrent speakers with an unbaised opinion?

Definitely. I ran the Kappas off the HU for a day or two before my amp came in, and they were terrible. Powered from the amp, they are amazing!

How loud did you have them turned up? I am running my Reference components (up front, ref coaxials in the rear) and only when I get to the point that I am taxing the HU (pretty f'in loud) do they start to pick up distortion.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the speakers. To me the Kappa's were more money and the highs weren't as natural, a good reason for me to not get them. But if you want to drive around with the music as loud as possible with less of an emphasis on SQ or accuracy they might fit the bill.

i havent, if was the chris you were referring to. i dont think it would help because unless it was in a contour it wouldnt be an accurate depiction.

I would say nowhere near terrible off the HU. Maybe your HU doesnt kick out a lot of power. Mine sound great for being unamped. I rotated the ring around my tweeters to give the highs a 3dB boost. When I play Money by Pink Floyd, it feels like I am there live. The clarity is just mind blowing. Since I have installed them, I have slowly been able to run a higher volume before they begin to distort. They do distort due to the lack of an amp, but like someone said earlier, its not till you have it at around 80% or more of the deck's full volume. Money well spent.

I thought they sounded terrible because the lower frequencies were way off...they were totally different from the Kenwood 5x7s I had up there. After I amp-ed them and turned on the high pass filter, everything was much better. It wasn't distortion, it was just bad frequencies, even though the included crossover.
I chose not to do the +3db on the tweeter, but should I? I recently turned the bass boost off the sub channels on my amp, and I'm able to absolutely crank it now, I think it's quite amazing. What are the advantages?

i just switched out all my audio to alpine,I purchased the type s 5x7 and im very please,no distortion and lots of bass.Im running a older alpine
mrv-f357 5 channel for everything.

I chose not to do the +3db on the tweeter, but should I?

I would definitely say do it. If you look at the angle of where the tweeter is aimed and how the speaker sits in the door, you'll notice that the tweeter points down and away. When you turn it to +3dB it aims the tweeter up and back, more towards where you sit. It helped even better when I kicked up the treble through the deck. I've gotten a lot of compliments from how it sounds despite the lack of an amp.

I would definitely say do it. If you look at the angle of where the tweeter is aimed and how the speaker sits in the door, you'll notice that the tweeter points down and away. When you turn it to +3dB it aims the tweeter up and back, more towards where you sit. It helped even better when I kicked up the treble through the deck. I've gotten a lot of compliments from how it sounds despite the lack of an amp.

Well my tweeters rotate so I pointed them up towards the driver/passenger. Not as good as true components but they work. Maybe next time I pull the door panels off (seems to happen far too often) I'll switch 'em, but I'm not wasting time pulling them off just for that.

Back