• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

alpine vs infinity?

chrisl311

CEG'er
hey all i was hoping to find my answer on the old forums, but came across nothing. i was hoping someone with experience with these brands can make any comments on them, because i was considering their component setups. really, its down to the type r or the kappa's. the kappa's are more expensive, but im not sure if they are worth it since im trying to keep the cost down. also, if anyone has anything for sale let me know, ill be needing a 4 channel amp, too. thanks in advance.

Kappas > Type R's....trust me. I just put in 4 Kappa 682.7cf's in my doors. The bass is more tight rather than booming and deep but the clarity is amazing. They come with tweeters that rotate 270 degrees and crossovers as well. The power handling is 100 watts rms and 300 peak at 2 ohms. I got them through a friend at Best Buy, so I paid about 40% of retail. My deck only has 25 watts rms/50 peak so as soon as I save up some more money I'm adding a 6 channel Inifinity amp and a sub. My buddy has Alpine type R 6.5's and 6x9's in his Sonoma. I heard them before being amped and after. Unamped vs unamped the Infinity's sound wayyyyyyyy better and would still blow away the Alpine's once amped.

my .02

Any speaker you put into a contour is going to have "tight" rather than "deep" bass because the doors of the contour flat out SUCK for SQ. This is why so many people here use rear-deck subs. Not so you can go boom boom, but just to fill in what the contour lacks compared to most vehicles.
Also if you look at your speaker through the speaker grill of your door you'll notice that Ford did as good of a job lining up the opening to the speaker as Dick Cheney does lining up a quail shot. Half of your speaker is firing right into the door panel. Which is why alot of us here have gone to a component setup with a seperate tweeter. Any speaker will make a nice improvement over stock. But Alpine vs Infinity really won't matter to much on this platform.

Alpine- Great HU and amps -electronics
Infinity-Great speakers -acoustics
I would go Kappa>Type R's

ok i appreciate the feedback. i was originally planning on the refrence's becasue they are 108, but the apline r's are 118, i can put an extra 10 in but the kappa's are 158 so im not sure i want to do 50 more than reference's, so do you think the reference's would still be better than the r's?

The REF series 6x8 have very good highs but their lows absolutly suck so I would spend the extra 50 and get the kappas, ir pick the type r's over them

ok thats good to know, ill probably do the type r's for the price. i appreciate the feedback.

Alpine- Great HU and amps -electronics
Infinity-Great speakers -acoustics
I would go Kappa>Type R's

You obviously shop at best buy and circuit city and have never heard a pair of Alpine Type X's or F1's Keep in mind that Infiniti has the Reference Kappa and Pefect while Alpine has Type E, R, X and F1 Even though you'll only see 2 in stores.

^ agreed, those f1's look bad, but its all about how much you spend. from reviews though, comparing speakers in this price range, i would say the reviews favor the infinities.

You obviously shop at best buy and circuit city and have never heard a pair of Alpine Type X's or F1's Keep in mind that Infiniti has the Reference Kappa and Pefect while Alpine has Type E, R, X and F1 Even though you'll only see 2 in stores.
I was saying for his price range trying to keep it post oriented

I have the Infinity reference 6x8 components and I like them a lot. I couldn't see spending much more money, unless I was going to invest a lot of time in reducing the background noise (this is in my Escape, so a little louder than a contour would be). I didn't like the Kappa's because the CMMD tweeter is too bright (IMO), even with the EQ adjusted.

I don't think Alpine speakers (and subs for that matter) are anything to write home about. Are they bad? No, but I think in the same price the Infinity's are better.

good info pete, im glad to see the reference speakers backed up because thats what im leaning towards.

good info pete, im glad to see the reference speakers backed up because thats what im leaning towards.

Skip going out to dinner a few times and spend a little more. Your ears will thank you :) If you get the Kappas, they really really need to be amped to make the most out of their capabilities.

Back