• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 SE 2.5L - Transmission Compatibility

bond007_ltk

New CEG'er
My transmission is dying on me and I would like to know which transmission from which model and year are compatible with my 98 SE? If any, of course - I hear a lot of parts are interchangeable and I know very little about cars.

Thanks

My transmission is dying on me and I would like to know which transmission from which model and year are compatible with my 98 SE? If any, of course - I hear a lot of parts are interchangeable and I know very little about cars.

Thanks
Hey bond007_ltk; if you want the best combination, then get a low miles 2000 transmision and put an pre 98 stock diff in it. Alternatively; get a low miles pre 98 transmission and put a focus shift tower in it. If you don't have the focus tower in your car now .. you will need the extra piece of wiring harness to connect your reversing light plug to the different style plug for the focus tower switch socket. ...G.

cant use the pre98 transmission without other modifications as they were all rod shift instead of the cable shift. although it may not matter as im not sure what type of transmission the OP has, MTX or ATX, since he didnt specify.

OP, do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

cant use the pre98 transmission without other modifications as they were all rod shift instead of the cable shift.
sorry dan, my bad .. i thought swapping out the shift tower would resolve the mismatch (assuming MTX) ... G.

sorry dan, my bad .. i thought swapping out the shift tower would resolve the mismatch (assuming MTX) ... G.

unfortunately not as its not just the shift tower that is different. on the rod shift, the rod enters the case from the side down low near the ground and then attaches to the shift tower via a ball/socket type joint.

you don't say if you have an automatic or manual transmission. if you let us know what it is i can get you a list of transmissions you can use.

Back