• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

96 Mystique write off

speersy

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Recently had my '96 Mystique hit while it was parked. Now it is a write off. Motor is a duratec 24 valve, 6 cyl., with an automatic transmission and is in excellent condition. Just finished installing four new oxygen sensors this summer and full break job. Considering whether to transfer the motor into something newer or just sell for parts in Kitchener area. Does anyone know how new a Mystique/Contour this motor would be compatible with. Does anyone know of any cars in need of a good motor or transmission?

Parting it out might be your best option but it will take time and most of the parts will probably never sell. Be ready to sell parts for very cheap cause most owners don't have much money to spend on parts. At least that is my experience with parting out a the same car that you have, two years ago.

What does CDW-27 stand for.
The car has around 180,000 but it is the best running engine I have ever had. It doesn't burn oil and after replacing all four 02 sensers, it passed the etest with flying colours. I have every confidence it will last another 100,000 if I can find another car, thought maybe I could try to find something newer that needs a motor.

What does CDW-27 stand for.
The car has around 180,000 but it is the best running engine I have ever had. It doesn't burn oil and after replacing all four 02 sensers, it passed the etest with flying colours. I have every confidence it will last another 100,000 if I can find another car, thought maybe I could try to find something newer that needs a motor.

If you're going to find something newer on the CDW-27 (Contour, Mystique and Cougar) platform to swap that engine into, chances are it already has the 2.5 Duratec in it, so there wouldn't be a need for a swap. If you find one with a blown engine, you could probably do a 3.0 swap for not too much more money, and get way more bang for your buck.

The 2.5 Duratec is a very common engine, and a good one if maintained. But I don't see it being worth swapping into a newer car. You can find a car with a good engine for a lot less trouble.

Back