• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l csvt vs talon

I got a buddy back at school that noticed that I just bought a new car (csvt). He has a 97 talon tsi awd, and he insists he'd be close, if not beat me in a race. Cars pretty much stock as far as turbo setup, but has a boost controller that has been upped 2-3 psi more than the stock setting I believe. I was wondering how close you guys think it'd be? Obviously assuming equally matched drivers.

I got a buddy back at school that noticed that I just bought a new car (csvt). He has a 97 talon tsi awd, and he insists he'd be close, if not beat me in a race. Cars pretty much stock as far as turbo setup, but has a boost controller that has been upped 2-3 psi more than the stock setting I believe. I was wondering how close you guys think it'd be? Obviously assuming equally matched drivers.

From what I've seen, you'd lose!

A stock SVT wouldn't stand a chance. I would hope the 3L would be able to win. What's the specs on the 3L (as stated in title)?

Not a big fan of the dsm's but the turbo'd eclipses/talons are pretty quick.Should be a good race since you did the 3L conversion.The only thing to do now is run him and see what happens.

yeah if your 'tour was stock it would most likely murder you, however with your 3L you probably stand a chance, what kinda numbers are you putting down at the moment?
either way post vid if you do this.

Stock for stock a CSVT and a DSM are almost equal. With a boost controller, he took about a 1/2 second off his 1/4 mile times. I believe a 3.0L takes away a full second. If he has done anything else, most likely it is his race...if not you should have him. He will murder you off the line but you will real him in.

Ask him to do best out of 10...by the 4-5 race his trans should drop and I would think you get the rest by default.

So I have heard anyway.

But if his gear holds together it is a tough call, they are quick little cars and the awd is a big advantage from a dig. You might be able to catch him.

Just for fun...guy I ran into a bit back had a gt3076r swapped into his tsi.....same turbo as my 3L...man was that FAST!

I raced one some time ago in my 88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3 Turbo which is rated at 180hp & 260tq. From a dig he only put my front end at his door and it pretty much stayed dead even until top of 3rd he got in front of me. At the time I had an exhaust and cold air but my car also weighed 3800lbs. Those cars bog unless the rpm is bouncing off the limiter on the line so slip the clutch a little and hammer it and you should get him. Rule of thumb is usually for every 1lb of boost added it should equal 10hp in a good setup.

I would think the dsm would have no problem with the 3L. my friend had one with a boost controller, built transmission, and exhaust and he was running mid 13's. I cant see a 3L svt running in the 13's

Slap a turbo on the 3L to make it fair, then tell him you'll run from 35+ lol

The '89 XR7 I've got is very fast right out of the box. Remove the exhaust restriction with high-flow headers, cat, piping and mufflers, and even if all other systems are bone stock, the thing should be close to 6 seconds flat to sixty.

This is a great primer on SC / XR7 exhaust restriction. This guy's got some mods, but still has mostly stock headers, and is doing 5.7. With the torque on these cars, I'd love to see quarter mile times.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwexhaust.php

More on topic, tell him he can buy you a beer instead of running at the track and spare his car the risk of breakage. :cool:

lol sorry to say laura but the contour would probably break down alot quicker trying to drag race against a awd dsm. I have owned 3 dsm's, 2 fwd and 1 awd. I ran a 14.1 in my awd talon with just the boost set at 15 psi, then ran a 13.6 with an exhaust and intake. Mid 13's is about all the stock turbos can putch out, so if he is running stock turbo with just upped boost he should be able to run low 14's.

thats a little more than a basic 3L conversion, is it not?

Not really. He's just very meticulous with his porting and such and is a hell of a driver. Even with 2.5L without touching the heads or bottom end, he was dynoing at 192 whp which I believe was before true duals and some other misc mods. I'm sure it was close to 200 whp but he never dynoed it. FWIW, he was outrunning PhatSVT and his supercharged SVT at the drag strip. I doubt the video is around anymore, but I remember seeing it.

He's done a full 3.0L with 3.0L oval port heads port matched to the SVT intakes. Many people have done this route and seem to make about 210-220 whp. He did his own porting just like everyone else, but like I said, he's very meticulous about it. I'm sure hes in the 230 whp range. Add that with a guy that knows how to drive this car and 13.4 is feasible.

BTW, there are two other guys that I can think of that are in the 13s with their 3.0Ls. 96BlackSE is one of them.

im definitely liking the beer idea, after i get a tune i may run him just for fun to let you guys knows. obviously there will be a lot of variables such as drivers and all that that you all will have to take into account before believing/disbelieving the results.

Back