• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaky moon-roof...

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
My moon-roof has a small leak on the drivers side... From what it looks the seal is in good condition, it is just that the glass is off-center... Since it is too far to the passenger side the seal barely touches the metal strip on the drivers side... Is there a way to re-center the glass?

Also, what is the substance on the seal of the moon-roof? The stuff that keeps the seal from sticking... I went to VIP and they had nothing to replace the original, so do you have any idea where I can get the stuff?

have you check out autozones help section online yet? It may have instructions. Otherwise pick up a Ford CD and that should also have isntructions

Yea, I did not see anything there... I will take the glass out this weekend, and I am sure I can fix it with an bend here and a washer there... Though I would still like to know is there is a legit way of doing this... I am going to pick up the Chilton's book from my library this weeked and see what that says...

Was the car in an accident? I'm curious to know why the moonroof is off-center to begin with.

Ok, I just read the car manual section on the moon-roof and apparently the glass is supposed to be able to slide back into the roof along with tilting open... Mine only does the second of the two, and when it gets back to the closed position the motor stops... It seems as if the glass is too far back because when it closes the seal is so tight in the center of the roof that it actually pushes the metal down with it...

Now, when I took the glass of there was a number written in black on the underside of the glass... Is it possible that it is not the original glass and not the right size or something? Like is the size a hair bigger/smaller on pre/post 1998 models?

It seems to me that even if the glass has a half-inch gap or more, there should not be any water leaking into the cabin, because of the DRAINS. There is a drain hose on each of the 4 corners of the assembly that lets the water run out and away from the cabin area, down the A- and B-pillars. Your problem is most likely that one or more of these hoses has become plugged, due to dirt, debris, bugs, or whatever. Pull the headliner and check those drain hoses. Blow them out with an air compressor if you don't see any obvious problems. A sunroof with properly functioning drain hoses can displace a LOT of water before anything leaks into the cabin area.

It seems to me that even if the glass has a half-inch gap or more, there should not be any water leaking into the cabin, because of the DRAINS. There is a drain hose on each of the 4 corners of the assembly that lets the water run out and away from the cabin area, down the A- and B-pillars.

So you are saying that it is designed to leak? My drains work fine, I just thought they were an emergency backup incase of a leak to prevent it leaking into the cabin...

Thanks, but I do not think that is the problem... The motor and arms have full functionallity when the glass is not installed... Like I said I think the seal is too tight in the back... I will get a picture of it as soon as I can...

So you are saying that it is designed to leak? My drains work fine, I just thought they were an emergency backup incase of a leak to prevent it leaking into the cabin...

There's no way it can seal.

There is a "trough" around the perimeter inside that is designed to catch the water and send it off to the drains.

So if you want to put it that way - yes, it is designed to "leak".

Back