• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Haha, I see the vacuum cylinoid for the secondaries! There was never an IMRC to open the secondaries, awesome. That is sooooo cool :drool:.

the only reason they did that is because it was probably built before they even invented the IMRC, or it was still being figured out. my guess, but i'm nobody

Well if that motor came with the car then its weird why ford didnt have the Imrc valve cover and imrc.

Im suspecting that the builder removed the Imrc because it wasnt needed and the 94 valve cover was installed for some reason.

It's not the original motor. The LIM did have butterflies but have been removed.

One thing that needs to be remembered is that this was a race car, built in conjunction with Ford for the Touring series. Things break on the track, swapped with other things and so on. So anything other than the sheetmetal itself is unlikely to be original.

On a different note, I've sent a request off to a current owner of a former BTCC Mondeo. I'm hoping to get some info on what Ford had developed over there and apply that to this car. I really hope that the distance between the 2 shores is enough to allow them to share info. Don't want them to think I want to steal their technology for competition.

Haha, I see the vacuum cylinoid for the secondaries! There was never an IMRC to open the secondaries, awesome. That is sooooo cool :drool:.

isnt that the fuel pressure regulator?

i also noticed the inlet to the IAC was plugged up. I wonder if thats why it had the idle trouble

There is a vac system LIM on this setup but the lim butterflys have been removed, so it doesn't do anything anyway. it looks that way anyway :shrug:. Oh well

There is a vac system LIM on this setup but the lim butterflys have been removed, so it doesn't do anything anyway. it looks that way anyway :shrug:. Oh well

I dont see what you are talking about, maybe I'm blind, but all I see is the fuel pressure regulator

Woops, you guys are right. It is the FPR not the vac cylinder:blackeye:. I looked through some of my build pics..... my bad

That plate on the one exhaust header pipe looks like it may have been made by Kooks...

See? Notice the front most pipe on the bank you can see the welded-on plate... Maybe others do this too but i've only seen it on the Kooks headers...

gt5012.jpg

That plate on the one exhaust header pipe looks like it may have been made by Kooks...

See? Notice the front most pipe on the bank you can see the welded-on plate... Maybe others do this too but i've only seen it on the Kooks headers...

I'm pretty sure JBA does the same thing.

Great Stuff

Great Stuff

I know exactly what the original poster is going through. I had a few laughs at his start up video. It sounds like my car until I replaced all the fuel and went through the car completely. My Cougar was built about 5 years after the Contour, so it has a lot newer higher level stuff in it, but until you see the quality of work that went into these cars you wouldn't believe it.

It is a great pickup and a super fast track car. Trust me you won't want to drive it on the street. I have to run VP C12 in mine and at 9.00 bucks a gallon, the fuel costs get old really fast. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help as I have 6 binders of build information on these cars, suspension jigs and more spare race parts than you could believe.

I have sent a p.m.

Eric Nummelin

Keeper of the ex-Mumm Bros. Cougar

www.nummelinmotorsportgroup.com

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
Just to let you know after going through all of the posts, I have an original Speed WC rear wing all set up for the Contour. It was part of the spares package I received. It would work very well, but at 48" it looks kinda narrow on the car.

As well I can tell you that the ECU is a special one. It can't be reprogrammed as any of the standard systems, like Diablo, don't recognize it. It is criticle to use the right plugs and fuel. The race ecu doesn't have a good cold start feature, but will flood the f&$% out of the car if you start, quickly shut off the car and try to start it again. You need to understand that the car wants to be started, warmed up to operating temps and then driven hard. It does not work for just f@rting around. It will flood the plugs quickly. I have a bag of over 40 race plugs that I rotate through the motor when I try to just drive it around. The guys in Ottawa who bought the ex-Capaldi car are trying to restore it to WC Specs. It had been converted to an almost IT spec. They have been having huge issues with bad gas, wrong ecu and wrong plugs.

Further details about the Kinetic Motors like in my car which was built and dynoed in 2001. I actually have the Dyno run spec sheets for my car and the original 2000 Mirko car. The cars had 12.8:1 compression. The heads were gone through, but little to no port hogging took place as the stock heads flowed very well. All of the engines made around 270 hp at just under 8,000 rpm. The original ones used blue printed stock internals and were really kinda fragile if you didn't treat them right. The later engines, like in the Capaldi car and my car used full on race internals, like different cranks, rods and pistons to make them almost bullet proof. The cams were pretty close to stock lift, but with longer duration and extended lobe centerlines. The cars don't like to idle when cold and finally settle down to about a 1,700 rpm idle loping when warm. Oil pressures and viscosity are important (straight 30 weight is good or a race 20-50).

Some details about my car, it was built from a body in white so it has no V.I.N.'s. It has a Quaife dog box in it with a Quaife diff. A full-on Dynamic suspension that makes the car handle like a rear wheel drive car and the whole suspension and most of the drivetrain mounting brackets are all hand fabricated from aluminum or tubular steel. The car is a work of art.

The best part of these cars is the on-track. They go like stink and will blow past many v8 cars in a straight line.

Eric nummelin

Back