• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

from where 95 and 26 meet it's about an hour or so out of the way.

Look for Moncks Corner to get an idea. I'm not actually in Charleston but Charleston is the nearest town that most people are familiar with.

I'll send you a pm when it gets closer but it should be the middle of march. I would deffinetly drive out of the way to come see one of the first SVT's built.

She started finally

She started finally

Finally got her started today and she purred right along without any effort. And she sounds better today than the other night, believe me. Still, I want a new exhaust. Maybe something in the shade of Ti would compliment my shoes well.

I'm editing the video and should have it up on youtube soon.

If people would bother to read sections of the site other than the forums from time to time (;)) you would know from the VIN decoder that the L represents first-gen airbags. The part of the VIN that confirms the car is an SVT is the 'P68'; digits 5-7. The car was built so early on that Ford hadn't yet switched to the second-gen airbags for the '98 model year which supposedly happened in August of '97. My car was built in April of '97 and has second-gen airbags, so the August date doesn't seem right.

Hmm...never knew this. I just checked mine. It was built in March of 97 and I've got the L.

Awesome find though! Kind of a shame it's been changed so much...but looks fun none-the-less!

Finally got her started today and she purred right along without any effort. And she sounds better today than the other night, believe me. Still, I want a new exhaust. Maybe something in the shade of Ti would compliment my shoes well.

I'm editing the video and should have it up on youtube soon.

I WANT THAT EXHAUST, headers back. i don't care if it's rusted to hell. pics please!

so how much hp do we think this thing makes?

It supposedly dyno'd at 270hp when the motor was fresh. Coupled with the custom gears and tuning by Ford, I'm told it was a helluva car. Very fast, bit of a brake balance problem and the suspension needs some fine tuning. Now though, the suspension needs a full rebuild just to freshen everything up.

I've been talking to the engine builder about the motor. Apparently it needs to run on 110 octane and colder plugs. Different fuel info than what was vaguely remembered and passed on to me. It will run on 100 but should have 110 to be real happy.

update 2/19/09

update 2/19/09

Today I fixed the leaks that showed up the other day and refiled the coolant. And now, the next issue has reared it's head. When I engage the clutch, I get a dry metal rubbing sound and the engine dies. It will go into gear and move just fine but requires some right foot provoking to keep running.

On the plus side for the day, the car is now beginning to idle without keeping my foot on the gas. It still dies after about 10 seconds but its more than what I was getting before.

Awsome buy! I bookmarked the posting on Craigslist about a month or two ago, while doing some "screen shopping", and followed the posting to atspeedmotorsports.com. They have pictures and info on the car. It sounds awsome! They say it was ran at Miller Motorsports Park. I'd keep it race ready! Heck with street legal. I live in PA, and it would be awsome to see you freshen it up( even improve it...wow) and tour that thing around in the summer!! Say "All Ford Nationals" in Carlisle, PA! Oh, how sweet that would be! You could go run it for fun at the events. A lot of show goers, at all ages, from everywhere, would LOVE to see that!! If I can say that for everyone...

Back