• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

01 3L With SVT Cams/ My build

Coming along. Prepping block for SVT heads. I may replace pistons/rings/rods with new OEM while I'm in here

3literblock.jpg

you have to use 3L gaskets. Easiest way to know what ports you need blocked is to put the head on the motor. Its the lower right coolant hole on the front and the lower left on the rear.

i thought there was an oil port that needed to be blocked when using 2.5 heads/3.0 block?

im glad the whole engine thing worked out, ill never buy another thing from those assholes again. wish i woulda known lol.

Weekend goodies!

Weekend goodies!

IMG00048-20100725-1851.jpg

Picked all this up for my hybrid swap. Other head is not pictured. Came from a 1999 with a little under 70k miles on it. Best part, it was nearly a steal :D. My goal is to have a complete engine to swap in with little to transfer so I can have a 3L in one day. Also, I won't have to molest my running 2.5 so I can sell it or part it out later. I will be cleaning and prepping soon, pics will come as I progress.

When I was doing my engine swap I checked my cams and I have the 3.0l cams (black banded) in it. Do the SVT cams make that much of a difference in power in the 04 Taurus engines to be worth the swap?

Those who know my car and the story behind it will appreciate this. I checked the old engine's cams to see if it had SVT cams I could pull. It did. One. It had one SVT intake cam, and the rest were 3.0l ones. That is if what I was told about the orange banded cams being SVT and the green ones being 3.0l is true across the board.

I couldnt totally remember what it looked like but I thought it looked very similar to the ST220 UIM, but with split ports

pretty much, and in my opinion, an extrudehoned split port 3.0 manifold on a SVT hybrid is probably the best way to add displacement to an SVT while keeping the "euro" personality of the SVT. I really dont think the SVT intake is big enough to produce seriouse NA numbers from 3.0l of displacement...

I'd powder coat the UIM black and move the SVT plaque to the the black plastic front valve cover...

When I was doing my engine swap I checked my cams and I have the 3.0l cams (black banded) in it. Do the SVT cams make that much of a difference in power in the 04 Taurus engines to be worth the swap?

Those who know my car and the story behind it will appreciate this. I checked the old engine's cams to see if it had SVT cams I could pull. It did. One. It had one SVT intake cam, and the rest were 3.0l ones. That is if what I was told about the orange banded cams being SVT and the green ones being 3.0l is true across the board.

oh dear, that sounds bad.

although if I'm not mistaken, arent all of the exhaust cams basically the same, short of the sprocket changes?

Reviving this thread. I have lots of parts on the way. Unfortunately I ordered a 2.5L head gasket set before realizing that I need 3L gaskets.. I'll be doing a hybrid for sure and I will be posting photos as I progress once my car is off the road.

Currently I have a WTB for cougar heads, which is the route I'd rather take. Also been searching the internet for a good price and sometime this week my friend will be checking at his dad's junkyard.

But if I don't have them towards the end of the month, I will be sending mine to be cleaned/prepped and blocking ports on the block. Either way, it should end up about the same- more displacement! ha

Back