• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hail anyone??!!

RedFire98

CEG'er
yeah so obviously im not having a good day to say the least... i dont know if any of you central mass boys got hit like me but all i can say is WOW! WTF!#@#!:shrug::shrug:
2cru61x.jpg

ab76yo.jpg

:shocked:ive never seen it come down like that before.. i have a couple golfball sized pieces sitting in my freezer..

Ouch! I heard hail was comin down pretty good in parts of mass and ri, but I haven't seen anything here yet. Just short periods of rain. Where in Mass are you?

AHA! So YOU have cruises8's old car! We were discussing this the other day amongst CEG'ers and the topic of RedFire came up. Anyways, we got NOTHING in Amherst up until I left at 4:45. It was bright and sunny and hot! I'm currently down by Springfield now, and there's a few rumbles of thunder and there was a bit of heavy rain, but nothing bad at all. :shrug:

I was in Worcester when the storm went though. We had nothing in Worcester, literally a few sprinkles. But as I headed to my parents' house in Millbury, I began to appreciate the storm's intensity. It looked like a war zone. Leaves on the road so thick you couldn't even see the pavement .. on every road throughout the town.

Between Wheelock Ave and West Main St, I had to detour FOUR times due to road obstacles (Millbury Ave power lines, Howe Ave flooding, Elm St flooding at the Rt 146 bridge, and Carlton Rd tree across the road and flooding). Rt 146 was flooded out too on the Sutton/Millbury border. The entire town had no power.

I couldn't BELIEVE the idiots that were diving right into the flooded zones. I witnessed two cars stall out at the 146 bridge, not entirely because of the water depth (though possible), but because they were behind cars and SUVs that created huge waves as they charged into the water at 30mph. Each of the areas had deep water, I turned around every time. Thankfully I had the Subaru, I don't think the SVT would have made it on half the leaf- and branch-covered roads.

When I arrived at my parents' house, a good 45 minutes after the storm hit, I found this all over their lawn and deck... it was 85 degrees out so I imagine they were much bigger originally :eek:

photo.jpg

Ouch! I heard hail was comin down pretty good in parts of mass and ri, but I haven't seen anything here yet. Just short periods of rain. Where in Mass are you?
oh it came down for a solid 3 minutes.. im in hopkinton

AHA! So YOU have cruises8's old car! We were discussing this the other day amongst CEG'ers and the topic of RedFire came up. Anyways, we got NOTHING in Amherst up until I left at 4:45. It was bright and sunny and hot! I'm currently down by Springfield now, and there's a few rumbles of thunder and there was a bit of heavy rain, but nothing bad at all. :shrug:
yep thats me. i love the redfire, and more importantly the car itself.. big props to all former owners for keeping it clean. too bad the car was flawless when i bought it from erine(redfire550hp), now its got a small dent on the roof and pre98 trunklid.. and a handfull of rock chips from the highway:cry:

I was in Worcester when the storm went though. We had nothing in Worcester, literally a few sprinkles. But as I headed to my parents' house in Millbury, I began to appreciate the storm's intensity. It looked like a war zone. Leaves on the road so thick you couldn't even see the pavement .. on every road throughout the town.

Between Wheelock Ave and West Main St, I had to detour FOUR times due to road obstacles (Millbury Ave power lines, Howe Ave flooding, Elm St flooding at the Rt 146 bridge, and Carlton Rd tree across the road and flooding). Rt 146 was flooded out too on the Sutton/Millbury border. The entire town had no power.

I couldn't BELIEVE the idiots that were diving right into the flooded zones. I witnessed two cars stall out at the 146 bridge, not entirely because of the water depth (though possible), but because they were behind cars and SUVs that created huge waves as they charged into the water at 30mph. Each of the areas had deep water, I turned around every time. Thankfully I had the Subaru, I don't think the SVT would have made it on half the leaf- and branch-covered roads.

When I arrived at my parents' house, a good 45 minutes after the storm hit, I found this all over their lawn and deck... it was 85 degrees out so I imagine they were much bigger originally :eek:
dude....
2i8zuyf.jpg

when i looked outside i thought the same thing.. it looked like the end of the damn world!

Reason #87 I will never live further north than DC.
Bear in mind that hail is rare in this area, and flash flooding is always controlled to certain spots, since there are hills everywhere.
I have personally never held hail in my hand before today.

edit: the news today states that most of the flooding was simply due to clogged storm drains.

yes, very minimal id say for the size of the hail.. three very small dents (front-right quarter,roof,trunklid)

me either i was so shocked when i looked out my front door:shocked: i think at one point i was yelling at the sky telling it to STOPPP!!!!

haha, man ive never seen hail, maybe thats a good thing!

Reason #87 I will never live further north than DC.

WOW!!!

Um, I think you have it backwards.

The South is where the vast majority of hail falls in the US. You're FAR more likely to see a lot more, and a lot larger, hail in the South than your are in the North. And May is prime hail season. It's when those Springtime microburst storms roll through, that are virtually a daily occurence in much of the South, that you see the biggest hail storms. The super cold storm fronts come off the Rockies and hits the warm, moist Gulf air and you get some incredible storms that can drop massive amounts of rain and large hail, spawn the occasional tornadoes, then disappear in a matter of about 20 minutes because they move so quick. The rainstorms I'd see in North Texas were literally worse than those I'd see in monsoon-season on Guam. I've seen storms that were dropping 18 inches AN HOUR of rainfall in Texas. I'll tell ya right now, that is literally impossible to imagine unless you've seen it.

Except that stuff in the OP's post, that's barely even "hail" in the South; we'd just call that "hard rain" ;) It's not until you get to about the size of a quarter that you worry about it. I'd see hail the size in the OPs post several times a year and quarter-sized stuff at least once.

Back