• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My car is shaking!

Alignment? I know I have had a bad alignment before and it caused a bad shake in the car like this. Hell, mine does it now, why I need a alignment :(

Tis is true. Its crushed now :( so it needs more than that. I was talking about the SVT though. Seems to happen with directional tires.

stupid is as stupid does, my car would shake/vibrate when I applied the throttle and it was all because of a bad set of spark plugs. who's the dumb one now :shrug:

thats what i was thinking. mine dose it also. from what i can tell the hubs fell good. so i was thinking mine needed a set of wires and plugs

thats what i was thinking. mine dose it also. from what i can tell the hubs fell good. so i was thinking mine needed a set of wires and plugs

yah it was weird because it only did it at low rpm's but it bucked and shaked so bad I thought the whole car was gonna fall apart.

Alignment? I know I have had a bad alignment before and it caused a bad shake in the car like this. Hell, mine does it now, why I need a alignment :(

That actually might be it. It's due I know. Never heard of bad alignment causing vibration.

kscontourkid honestly your problem sounds more like a tire out of balance than anything.

Todras, I know it has been asked, but yeah, you getting good spark? I had a grand prix that used to foul coils and it would do the exact same thing. While cruising no prob, while accelerating shook real bad. Didn't even throw codes.

thats exactly it though. he and I have the same problem. just balanced my tires. and it goes glassy smooth when off throttle. like i said i just made a 1000 mile trip and it didnt shake at all after 60mph. smooth as glass the whole time. only under throttle. I also just changed to a standard rear engine mount from a poly mount. (brand new by the way.) however my front mount is original.

It honestly feels like the type of vibration you get when you have an out of balance driveshaft. and i know i am getting good spark. the car still goes like stink just shakes the poop out of you in the process.

thats exactly it though. he and I have the same problem. just balanced my tires. and it goes glassy smooth when off throttle. like i said i just made a 1000 mile trip and it didnt shake at all after 60mph. smooth as glass the whole time. only under throttle. I also just changed to a standard rear engine mount from a poly mount. (brand new by the way.) however my front mount is original.

It honestly feels like the type of vibration you get when you have an out of balance driveshaft. and i know i am getting good spark. the car still goes like stink just shakes the poop out of you in the process.

ok I was under the impression that you were experiencing shaking at all times not just under acceleration.

Only thing is generally what I have noticed with bad driveshafts, is that the shaking is worse when they are not under load (acceleration or climbing) and there is still some vibration present when they are under load, they never go as smooth as glass. Do you get any vibration while you are engaging or disengaging the clutch?

Replaced the driver axle for fun since I had a low mileage one around. Haven't driven yet but I do wonder if it could be spark. I put a 3L in for someone and we never changed plugs. It did something similar to this but I can't recall exactly. Everything looks good under the car from what I can see. I was going to do a different rear mount next but it just doesn't make sense. I've seen rear mounts totally ripped apart and the car never shook. Glad I made this post. Making me think of everything.

P.S. RP Syncromax was $36 WITH my Napa discount. Sheesh. I remember it being $8 a qt. Car was due for fresh anyways.

clutch should be good. if there was an imbalance there I would notice that. I can rev it like crazy in neutral and it is still smooth as glass. nothing points to anything from the transmission back.

todras are you running a stock diff? if you are... ummm I am too. :( I am praying it is not the diff.

hopefully it is just and axle or mount. if you have an aftermarket diff then i am not worried. we seem to be having the exact same symptoms.

my diff is going out right now, thats why I got that quaife from you kscontourkid. Any vehicle I have ever experienced this type of thing on you will only feel the vibration when you are cornering, or under extremely low traction, cause thats the only time the spider set will move around the ring gear. I can accellerate all I want right now, but I feel a lot of feedback going around corners, even while coasting.

i know my diff is a ticking time bomb but i just dont drive it hard anymore. that is good to know that you (todras) are having the problem even with the quaife.

Today changed wires, plugs and coil pack. No change at all. I'm going crazy. The only things left would be interm. shaft, pass. axle or rear mount. Just wondering if I bent a hub or something crazy. I've heard that happening to other Contours. I just don't want to keep throwing $ at it.

i feel like it is the intermediate shaft or right side axle. it feels like it is coming from the right side of the car... i dont see how it could be your rear mount because im haveing the same symptoms and i just replaced my rear mount with a brand new SVT one. (at least that is what i ordered.) could the bearing on the intermediate shaft be out? that seems like it would make a difference or how it goes into the tranny in some way?

loose drive axel? i am getting a random pop when i turn the wheels sometimes. however my drive axles appeared to be tight. might check that.

Back