• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pwntbywombat 3L Build Thread

Just wanted to double check? Pwntbywombat did you change the position of the time gear?:shrug:

I stole this excerpt from PuckPuck how to build. Here is a link

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0...pucks-almost-official-3-0-swap-howto-faq.html

13. First, notice where the missing tooth is on the crank. Now to fix the above problem you need to remove the sprocket from the crank (it just slides off) and you'll notice the sprocket has 2 keyway holes, while the crank only has 1 keyway. The sprocket goes on 1 of 2 ways. 1 way is for the 3.0L timing cover and the other is for the 2.5L timing cover. Since we will be using the 2.5L timing cover we need put it in the 2.5L position.
14. On the sprocket itself you will notice a series of numbers, one of the numbers has 25 in it and another set of numbers has 30 in it. The 25 numbers should be next to one keyway hole and the 30 numbers next to other keyway hole. When you took it off the keyway hold used would have been the 30 numbers, so you need to put it back on so that the keyway hole marked 25 is what will line up with the crank keyway.
15. Essentially you take the sprocket off, rotate it 110* and put it back on. Or take it off and put it on in the only other position it will go on.

i dont even know what that it. i just had to order a reman axle today..the boot was ripped. :( we are beginning to think that it might be the ignition relay or something along those lines...because when you think about it, what else could it be? and i would have posted a video but its been raining every day ive had off and the contour is no longer privy to the garage now that winter is over. all i can say is that the starter clicks, not like it does when you have a dead battery, it sounds like its trying to engage the teeth on the flywheel but its bouncing off. like the gear inside the starter pops out, but then it just pops back. there isnt any spin after it pops out. its highly irritating.

pwntbywombat said:
we are beginning to think that it might be the ignition relay or something along those lines...

This is probably the reason your SVT motor didn't start. You never had to tear out the 2.5L and stick a 3L in it if you just fixed the original problem.....

i dont even know what that it. i just had to order a reman axle today..the boot was ripped. :( we are beginning to think that it might be the ignition relay or something along those lines...because when you think about it, what else could it be? and i would have posted a video but its been raining every day ive had off and the contour is no longer privy to the garage now that winter is over. all i can say is that the starter clicks, not like it does when you have a dead battery, it sounds like its trying to engage the teeth on the flywheel but its bouncing off. like the gear inside the starter pops out, but then it just pops back. there isnt any spin after it pops out. its highly irritating.

that doesnt make sense at all. how could it be an ignition relay if you hear the starter clicking and trying to engage? a bad relay would mean nothing happens at the starter. once the starter solenoid located on the starter "clicks", that means the relays have worked and sent power to the relays. If the gear doesnt mover out of the starter, than the starter is bad, if it does and the flywheel wont turn, then either the starter isnt getting enough amps or something is mechanically wrong with the engine/transmission.

use some logic. if the battery is charged, and the starter is hooked up correctly, and the engine turns by hand- all things you say are good- than it has to be the starter or the connections to the starter not giving you enough current.

here is a test, unbolt the starter and pull it off the tranny, touch it against the tranny or engine or something to ground it, and turn the key to see if it spins. if it does, its either the connections, the positive wire, or the starter itself- either not strong enough or the engine is too hard to turn.

the guys at pepboys tested it. the starter works, and no, it is not the original problem from the 2.5 cause this is the 3rd starter i've had since the 2.5. and a new axle was 40 bucks, so im not worried about it. not getting enough current could defiantly be a possibility. and how could it be hooked up wrong? the connections only go on ONE way. the power and signal wire are attached to each-other and only connect to the starter one way, that leaves only one other connection, the ground. so i dont know how it could be hooked up wrong.

I didn't say the starter was the original problem. Re-read. I am saying that the "ignition relay" that you are talking about was probably the original problem that you never fixed.:nonono:

the guys at pepboys tested it. the starter works, and no, it is not the original problem from the 2.5 cause this is the 3rd starter i've had since the 2.5. and a new axle was 40 bucks, so im not worried about it. not getting enough current could defiantly be a possibility. and how could it be hooked up wrong? the connections only go on ONE way. the power and signal wire are attached to each-other and only connect to the starter one way, that leaves only one other connection, the ground. so i dont know how it could be hooked up wrong.

im talking about a bad connection, as in corrosion on the ring terminals or battery terminal. pull all the connectors apart and clean them up with some sandpaper. how hard was the engine to turn over by hand? also, did you look closely at your flywheel gear teeth?

fuz: it cant be a relay if the starter is clicking.

fuz: it cant be a relay if the starter is clicking.

I didn't say it was, he did. I was just trying to point out the trouble shooting that he is now doing should have been done with the 2.5L. I'm not trying to tell him what to check because I don't know.

that doesnt make sense at all. how could it be an ignition relay if you hear the starter clicking and trying to engage? a bad relay would mean nothing happens at the starter. once the starter solenoid located on the starter "clicks", that means the relays have worked and sent power to the relays. If the gear doesnt mover out of the starter, than the starter is bad, if it does and the flywheel wont turn, then either the starter isnt getting enough amps or something is mechanically wrong with the engine/transmission.

use some logic. if the battery is charged, and the starter is hooked up correctly, and the engine turns by hand- all things you say are good- than it has to be the starter or the connections to the starter not giving you enough current.

here is a test, unbolt the starter and pull it off the tranny, touch it against the tranny or engine or something to ground it, and turn the key to see if it spins. if it does, its either the connections, the positive wire, or the starter itself- either not strong enough or the engine is too hard to turn.

+1

I had exactly the same issue your describing, it turned out to be a garbage starter. do you have a few starters laying around? hook one up to the battery and see if it's making enough juice.

i was having a similar issue. Turned out the starter was bad. I'd recommend going to the parts store and getting a new one. try it out. if it does not fix the problem you've at least eliminated an option.

Back