• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are my options for inspection? (MA)

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
Ok, so I went and got my car inspected today, and failed horribly. However, there is more to it. I guess the "new" inspections start tomorrow. As of right now, I have a red R (for September). I failed for tires (that will be taken care of), body rot (still thinking about this one, but it will be taken care of by my reinspection), and EXHAUST. I'm mostly worried about the exhaust. Am I eligible for "ex post facto," because I got my car first inspected this month? Or am I liable for the new laws being put in place? If I am liable for the new laws, will my car pass, being that it is an SVT exhaust with a resonator delete? I'm worried about dumping a crapton more money into my stupid piece of CRAP just so it can pass freaking inspection.

BTW, I failed for "visual" AND "functional" for exhaust. The guy told me it was leaking. I told him absolutely not and that all the leaks were very recently rewelded. So then he tells me I'm wrong :rolleyes:. Douchebag.

There's no mention of any change to the inspections on the state website. Recently, though, cars from 1995 and before (prior to OBD-II) are not tested for emissions.

Sometimes you just have to go to another station. Some of the guys out there inspecting cars go a bit overboard.

what visual aspect of the exhaust failed?
are you certain there are no leaks?
just because it was repaired recently doesn't mean another leak could have opened up.
technically, if the exhaust isn't stock for your car, it is illegal.

i thought it was the new inspection criteria that made pre-96 cars emissions exempt....
currently if the car is not OBD-II it goes on the rollers with the cut off being 1983
and older being exempt

i could be wrong though

I'm very sure there are no leaks. What pisses me off is the guy told me it was leaking, and I asked him where. He says "I dunno, you'll have to plug up the tailpipes to locate it." Ass. As to why I failed "visual," I have NO idea. I would think a leak falls under "functional." I'm just bringing it somewhere else next time. :shrug:

what visual aspect of the exhaust failed?
are you certain there are no leaks?
just because it was repaired recently doesn't mean another leak could have opened up.
technically, if the exhaust isn't stock for your car, it is illegal.

i thought it was the new inspection criteria that made pre-96 cars emissions exempt....
currently if the car is not OBD-II it goes on the rollers with the cut off being 1983
and older being exempt

i could be wrong though

Guy who inspected my 1989 Cougar informed that emissions was no longer part of the deal. No rollers, nothing. Just safety. Works for me. :cool:

Just last September, I had to have both my girl's 1986 Cougar as well as my 1993 Town Car put on the rollers for emissions.

i think the guy who did it was talking about the upcoming change, which i think takes effect tomorrow.
which will be great if i can pick up the 1994 dodge i want once i sell my vic (anybody wanna buy a crown vic?)
hehe

well .. sorry I passed my inspection luck on to you :(

ElKy said:
It's a 96...

i just thought of two funny (to me) stories
the last time i got my 86 dodge van inspected, they tried to put it on the rollers, but it didnt have enough bawlz to get them to spin, so they just did a multi speed idle test.
i filled the garage with black smoke and the fugger still passed!
the same thing happened with my 86 chevy truck except it could spin the rollers

If you are willing to take a trip down to my part of the state... I can get you passed no problem. $29 will pass anything.

won't work, he is already in the mass computer system has a fail. If another station scans his vin it will show up and they will not be able to do a new inspection unless there is a way around it.

The new inspection starting after oct. 1st, the are taking out the dyno's no more roller for pre-96 or obd1 cars, as of right now safety only. It's all in the plces you take them, my stang is pretty loud and the intake sounds like it will suck a small child right of the side walk, the guy just told me to shut it off and smiled :cool:.

well .. sorry I passed my inspection luck on to you :(

It's a 96...

correct 1995 and older are obd1 and will not need the rollers, no more emissions. 1996 and newer are obdII and require emission testing( they just plug into the computer)

correct 1995 and older are obd1 and will not need the rollers, no more emissions. 1996 and newer are obdII and require emission testing( they just plug into the computer)

ians car is a 96 so he isn't going to luck out and get out of emissions when the law changes.

won't work, he is already in the mass computer system has a fail. If another station scans his vin it will show up and they will not be able to do a new inspection unless there is a way around it.

The new inspection starting after oct. 1st, the are taking out the dyno's no more roller for pre-96 or obd1 cars, as of right now safety only. It's all in the plces you take them, my stang is pretty loud and the intake sounds like it will suck a small child right of the side walk, the guy just told me to shut it off and smiled :cool:.
Does this mean I need to go back to the same station? I decided to go without having everything taken care of because I'd rather have an R than an expired tag. The cops around here are CRAZY about crap, and I think having the R at least shows I put forth the effort :rolleyes:

I can't find info that says you must take it back to the same place, but I did find that you have 60 days allowed to wear that R and you can take it back to the same place to be reinspected for free. (I thought it was only 30.)

Under the new emissions codes, you also have the option to apply for an "economic hardship" sticker. If you have to do significant work to get the car to pass emissions, then you can ride with this sticker for up to one year. Unfortunately they define "significant work" as a new engine, transmission, or other several-thousand-dollar repair. Maybe you can claim you need to get new cats in addition to the new muffler/exhaust, which are expensive. I'd bet a few of us have bad O2 sensors to give you so the car throws the 420/430 codes to claim new cats. lol. And in 1 year you'll be gainfully employed enough to address those concerns in full or to sell the car.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/rmvnews/2008/pr_092508_inspection.htm

You're SOL on the safety stuff though. Tires are an easy fix, but that body rot needs to be addressed (or overlooked) to pass.

speaking of inspection. if i use exhaust tape to secure the loose end of my flex pipe, will it pass? cause i was considering doing that and fixing it when i actually get money after having to fix my water pump.

what color is the R on your sticker?
i think if it is red it is for a safety failure and you are supposed to fix it immediately and can be ticketed for driving an 'unsafe' vehicle.

what color is the R on your sticker?
i think if it is red it is for a safety failure and you are supposed to fix it immediately and can be ticketed for driving an 'unsafe' vehicle.
Oh it's red. Regardless, I'd much rather drive with a red R than an expired tag. I'm getting tires this weekend hopefully. If I do get pulled over I will calmly just talk to the officer about it, no big deal.

elky is correct. you only have 60 days for a black R for emissions. Technically speaking, the second you drive out of the station with the red R you can be ticketed. they used to give you 7 days, but not anymore. I would think a cop would have to be a real jerk to ticket you within a week of getting the R, but there is nothing protecting you if he decides to.

For the record, you do not have to return to the same station. You just gotta find somebody that's not as intense.

and if you don't go back to the same station, you have to pay the $29 again.
the free re-test only applies if you go to the station that did the initial test.

Back