• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blew up my trans, price?

ub3rduck

CEG'er
So I was being dumb and blew something in my trans. I shifted too hard going around a corner and broke something. I'm guessing something was on it's way out and I just finished it off.

Now it jerks and crunches when I turn, and once in a while going straight. It only does it when the trans is under load and goes away completely when I have the clutch disengaged or it's out of gear.

I took it to a shop and they said that is was definitely something inside the trans like I thought. You can definitely hear something clanking when you spin the tires when it's jacked up. It got all new gears and synchros just before I bought it. What's a normal price range for a shop to tear it apart and rebuild the trans? Yesterday the guy told me that it could be upwards of $600-700 to tear it apart plus the cost of parts. I'm still waiting for a call with a quote for doing a rebuild of the trans replacing all the 'soft parts' as the tech called them, and whatever is broken. I've never had any work done by a shop before so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks

btw it's a 2000 SVT with about 85k miles

Classic MTX-75 glass differential. A rebuild with a Quaife or Torsen is in the 1300-1500 range. Depends on where you send it. I charge $550 to pull it take it to HMS and then install. Add a new clutch. About $2300 all said and done to do it right. I know HMS does budget builds as well. Up to you. Have it towed over to GR and leave some cash. ;)

when i took my car to a shop asking a quote for them to reseal my tranny housing, i was told like 1200bucks. so figure more for parts. am sorry to hear about ur transmission. its stories like these that make me wonder what the heck i was doing modding a contour:nonono:

I know I should search this, but where's a good place to get a Quaife or Torsen from? I think I might want to go that route. I've got my tech pricing out a rebuild for me and he actually sounded excited to build it up haha.

talked to the guy at the shop and they said they wanted $1200 just to open up the trans and replace whats broken, not including any parts. sounds like way too much for me, plus i don't have that kind of cash. they also said they wanted $700 to replace my alternator, belt and tensioner which is kind of ridiculous

i might find another shop, cuddy brother's in farmington hills said they would take the trans out for free and then fix whatever's broken plus free towing

how hard is it to take the trans out and open it up? i've got a pretty decent knowledge of cars and access to an engine hoist. is it something i could possibly do myself in my garage?

remember book time to remove the tranmission is 9 hours iirc. so 9 hours x lets $75 per hour is $675. so $1200 doesn't sound to far off.

most likely the same story with the alternator. $200 for the alternator, $75 core + labor.

this is why its best to work on the car yourself if you can ...

LMFAO! No wonder he sounded so excited. Dollar signs in the eyes. That's the price without an LSD?!! Could have an HMS trans for that. It's not hard to undo the bolts to open it at all. Inspecting properly and reinstalling the new parts properly is another story.

actually more that I think about it I think its 9 hours for a clutch replacement since it can be done quicker by members here. but either way the trans r&r is a bit ticket item in labor and parts, etc ...

would i have to drop the whole cradle to get the trans open to replace parts, or can i get it out by itself? i haven't had the car long so i don't remember what it looks like under there and it's at the shop right now so i can't look at it

I went through this recently. I spent about 2.5K for the trans to be removed, opened and new diff put in. I had a stage 2 SPEC clutch and flywheel put in and MSDS headers installed. I had a stock diff put in just because I had bought all the other parts not expected to blow a diff or else I would have gone the LSD way.

would i have to drop the whole cradle to get the trans open to replace parts, or can i get it out by itself? i haven't had the car long so i don't remember what it looks like under there and it's at the shop right now so i can't look at it

search the transmission forum for instruction, etc ... but basically you drop the subframe and support the motor and then remove the mtx through the drivers side wheel well ...

or this would be a good option as already stated ...

Classic MTX-75 glass differential. A rebuild with a Quaife or Torsen is in the 1300-1500 range. Depends on where you send it. I charge $550 to pull it take it to HMS and then install. Add a new clutch. About $2300 all said and done to do it right. I know HMS does budget builds as well. Up to you. Have it towed over to GR and leave some cash. ;)

Can you get to the differential without taking the entire trans off the car? If you just split the case in two on the car can you unbolt the flywheel and pull out the diff, or does it come out through the other side (engine side)? It seems like it would be much easier to just drop half the trans rather than the whole thing?

The very bottom part of the case is the one I'm talking about.
MTX75-Gearbox.jpg

Your best bet, is to let a CEG'er do it, local shops are ridiculously overpriced.

I know Livinsvt started rebuilding trans's might want to shoot him a PM see if you can work something out.

Have you opened up your hood and looked at the engine bay? :help:

Click

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...allposts&Main=1092176&Search=true#Post1292558

LOL... let's be encouraging here perhaps this is the fellow that will find that way to do it that no one else has thought of....:cool:

sorry

really most folks go through this since it is such a big job and we are always looking for shortcuts..... you just have to check the posts and follow the advice so far there is nothing new and innovative on how to get this done. Now the alt is another story it is much easier to do if you follow the advice and undo the top bolt using an extension that goes from the driver side wheel well across the back of the engine to the bolt. Since you will have so much all ready torn apart when you remove the tranny it will be much easier to do that at that time.

AF

Thanks for the help guys, I know removing the trans isn't exact a spark plug change, but I'm here to learn and in the end it's only a car. If I mess something up, the worst that can happen is that i'm out a car for a bit longer and I have to pay someone else to fix it. I just don't have the money to pay a shop right now and I want to learn.

I've the subframe lowered and everything disconnected from the trans. I pulled off the one side of the case to see if I could get the diff out that side before I posted and figured if I can't it'll just make the whole trans lighter when I pull it off. So far everything is going pretty smoothly, the only mistake I've make is forgetting to support the radiator. Ended up popping off a hose and spilling coolant. But if that's the biggest mistake I make I figure I'm doing pretty good.

When I got the one side of the case off there was a big build up of metal shavings, hopefully the inside of my case isn't too torn up and it's the shrapnel from the differential grenading.

Right now the only thing that is holding me up is this one connector I can't figure out how to get off. I don't want to experiment with it and mess it up.
trans023.jpg

It's on the top side of the case.

Thanks again for all the help and for putting up with me nearly destroying my car trying to do it myself :)

That is the line to the slave. Pull the clip out with a little pick. See the shiney thing. Pry up and then you can release it. The slave that it feeds needs to be replaced while the trans is out since it is original most likely. About $100 for it.

Back