• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Glad I don't live in Boston

ctmystique

Hard-core CEG'er
So Debbie and I drive up to Summerville to pick up the struts from Zack.
How do you people up there deal with the traffic? We hit bumper to bumper before the 95 connection on the MA pike. From there on in it as a nightmare. I think we saw two car fires and three or four accidents, luckily the were on the other side of the highway. We went through Harvard Square and then up Mass Ave. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that **it every day!!

Zack, Thank you for being patient about all this.

so what car did you end up driving up there?

and on the traffic part, I hate traffic :mad:

:crazy:

so when are you going to install the struts?

Last edited:
So Debbie and I drive up to Summerville to pick up the struts from Zack.
How do you people up there deal with the traffic? We hit bumper to bumper before the 95 connection on the MA pike. From there on in it as a nightmare. I think we saw two car fires and three or four accidents, luckily the were on the other side of the highway. We went through Harvard Square and then up Mass Ave. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that **it every day!!

Oh man! I would have recommended a different route to Davis Square.
From the Pike, take exit 14 (95/128 Northbound). (a lot cheaper toll too!)
Head up 128 North until Exit 29 (2 East).
Travel 2 East until you get to the end of it. Turn left up Alewife Brook Pkwy, straight past Mass Ave, then there's a right turn onto a street I don't remember its name.

It avoids almost all of those problems! Unless you were going during rush hour, in which case 128 North and South are both jam packed, as well as the Pike as you noticed. Literally 1mph traffic, pretty much riding the clutch the entire time. :mad:

As for living in Somerville, I moved out. :p Well, technically, my job moved me up here, but I was extremely happy they did.
Automatic transmissions and mass transit are your friends. And it's definitely worth the extra few hundred a month for an off-street parking spot. (You can easily pay that much or more in parking tickets each month if you're not careful.)

That's GPS for ya. We did head out of the city on that route though. Stopped at Friendlys in Lexington for dinner. It was smooth sailing all the way home. Got back around 9:15. We took the Mystique. It's running great now, really feeling the secondaries opening up now:). Still need to change some O2 sensors though Damn CEL

It's more tolerable when you use public transportation...

Very funny. Public transportation is hardly tolerable, lest your a fan of B.O. and a paucity of space that would be unacceptable in a sardine can.

Tolerable -- the T? I laugh! :laugh:

I cruised into town today with reasonable swiftness -- used the Lynn Fells Parkway to cut over to 93 South, which was jammed, of course. I cut over to 28 and shot right in.

That's GPS for ya. We did head out of the city on that route though. Stopped at Friendlys in Lexington for dinner. It was smooth sailing all the way home. Got back around 9:15. We took the Mystique. It's running great now, really feeling the secondaries opening up now:). Still need to change some O2 sensors though Damn CEL

don't you mean a bouncy sail home :laugh:

glad to hear it running better now

I cruised into town today with reasonable swiftness -- used the Lynn Fells Parkway to cut over to 93 South, which was jammed, of course. I cut over to 28 and shot right in.
Lucky you! I'm in Somerville now. I left Merrimack NH at 5pm precisely. Took Rt 3 down, and hit traffic on 2 a mile before Alewife, at 5:45. From there to Davis Square, it took 1/2 hour. :mad:

You say Boston Traffic sucks, but you would change your mind if you lived in Florida. Take every old person on the planet who should not be driving + people from the middle of nowhere small town america who have never seen a freeway + nobody using their blinkers = missing boston and NY drivers and praying beforing you jump in the car.

Add rednecks with super lifted trucks and the fact that everybody has a gun to the equation and it makes for even more fun driving. If you upset a driver in Boston or NY by accidentally cutting them off you get the finger and some cursing. Do that in FL and you might get an angry redneck who pulls a gun on you in an attempt to excersize his misunderstanding of his rights and "protect himself."

I miss the organized and predictable chaos that is Boston and NY traffic. I however don't miss parking in either metropolitan area. You don't have to worry about some ahole trying to mess up your bumpers parralel parking.

I lived in Miami for a spell, and one of the running jokes use to be that traffic jams were the result of people slowing down in order to translate the road signs from English to Spanish.

The Dolphin and the Palmetto, as well as I-95 and US-1, are so overwhelmed that traffic is almost ubiquitous. I-95 ends in the financial district -- it turns into US-1 (South Dixie Hwy) at the end of an unceremonious off ramp, where drivers are greeted with a traffic light every 1/4 mile from there to damn near Homestead. Calling Rte. 1 a highway at that point is a misnomer -- it's nothing more than a severely overtaxed surface street.

These are the problems that crop up when a sleepy resort enclave turns into a huge city. Such has been Miami's lot over the last forty years.

With that, maybe I'll take a pleasant run through rural New Hampshire -- living in Montana rather cured me of crowds. :cool:

Lucky you! I'm in Somerville now. I left Merrimack NH at 5pm precisely. Took Rt 3 down, and hit traffic on 2 a mile before Alewife, at 5:45. From there to Davis Square, it took 1/2 hour. :mad:

If you want another way through that, take the exit for 60 towards Arlington. Follow it through Arlington Center, across Mass. Ave. Take a right at the set of lights just past the center, and take a right at the set of lights after that. It will put you onto Broadway. Follow it into Teele Square and hang a right onto Holland. ;)

Not to worry! Glad it all worked out. So you didn't head over to Frank's Steakhouse to wait out the traffic, huh? :)

I really miss the handling of the SVT. I think I need to upgrade my suspension or consider a new car. I love the Maxima, but it just handles so differently...

I like taking the T to work. Saves a ton on gas, and the Red-Line appears to be far better than the other lines out there. I have like a 20 minute commute every morning. Sure, traffic can be a little nasty, but you've got to know your way around it too.

Not to worry! Glad it all worked out. So you didn't head over to Frank's Steakhouse to wait out the traffic, huh? :)

I really miss the handling of the SVT. I think I need to upgrade my suspension or consider a new car. I love the Maxima, but it just handles so differently...

I like taking the T to work. Saves a ton on gas, and the Red-Line appears to be far better than the other lines out there. I have like a 20 minute commute every morning. Sure, traffic can be a little nasty, but you've got to know your way around it too.

Frank's looked a little to pricey for us at the time. I'm sure thier food is excellent though. Plus parking wasn't too plentiful around there either.

I really miss the handling of the SVT. I think I need to upgrade my suspension or consider a new car. I love the Maxima, but it just handles so differently..
haha - I had the same complaint. Solution was to buy a second car. You do get used to the Maxima handling, though it takes a while.
I think suspension upgrades do make the handling more precise.

recipe for traffic:

a little morning angst and a lot of coffee, mixed with stress and a hundred or so horsepower under your right foot. combine that with stupid people, slow people, old people, one-way streets, tolls, rotaries, and student drivers and you get grid-lock traffic in Boston.

eventually you learn to deal with it. public transportation is so bad in the city that driving in traffic seems tolerable. at least you control your own destiny!

Boston prides itself in having the OLDEST subway in America, not the BEST subway in America.

Back