• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Struts/Srings | Rides Worse Like A Truck

I don't know how anyone can comment on the ride of your car without driving it. Suspension feel is a completely subjective thing. My Fathers '72 Continental is way too soft for me, and now he hates his Fivehundred because it's too firm. To me it actually feels a bit soft to other Fivehundreds I've driven.

The steering pull over bumps? now that is a problem. I didn't read your whole thread, but I would seriously check the sway bar/sway bar end links. one of the fronts may be bent. As far as the bushings being preloaded as mentioned by another poster here; that is a good theory, but I would bet against it. Any dealr tech is going to try and get this done as fast as possible. There is no need to loosen anything other than the pinch bolt in back with the vehicle on a hoist to get the strut out. The suspension can be moved enough with the help of a fellow tech. To loosen the rest of the suspension would be a waste of time that a tech just isn't going to do. That being said, take it somewher else and have them do a very close inspection for bent or possibly damaged rear control arms. You never know what some gorilla is going to do.

I don't know how anyone can comment on the ride of your car without driving it. Suspension feel is a completely subjective thing. My Fathers '72 Continental is way too soft for me, and now he hates his Fivehundred because it's too firm. To me it actually feels a bit soft to other Fivehundreds I've driven.

The steering pull over bumps? now that is a problem. I didn't read your whole thread, but I would seriously check the sway bar/sway bar end links. one of the fronts may be bent. As far as the bushings being preloaded as mentioned by another poster here; that is a good theory, but I would bet against it. Any dealr tech is going to try and get this done as fast as possible. There is no need to loosen anything other than the pinch bolt in back with the vehicle on a hoist to get the strut out. The suspension can be moved enough with the help of a fellow tech. To loosen the rest of the suspension would be a waste of time that a tech just isn't going to do. That being said, take it somewher else and have them do a very close inspection for bent or possibly damaged rear control arms. You never know what some gorilla is going to do.

It appears that the front right sway bar link is very loose and needs replacing.

Update

Update

Just had the dealer who installed the struts and spring verify this information:

After driving the car that agreed that it's stiffer ride than normal and the cause of it is....

Apparently the springs in the rear are the same whether it is a 4 or a 6 cylinder. And 95 - 00 the rear springs are the same part number. The rear struts also seem to be the same.

The tech at the dealer is surprised that Ford would do this. I seems that they no longer manufacture the OEM springs/struts that are *intended* to be used for the 1999 Contour. They are simply trying to use the *extra* stock on the shelf. He feels this is wrong.

The dealer can do nothing to correct this - they told me.

By the way, why do people refer to me as *OP*? What does that mean?

JJames stated:

According to Alldata.... There was an option for "Vin 3" or "Vin Z" but I checked both and the part number's for the struts/springs are the same.

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L CNG DOHC VIN Z SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC VIN 3 SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA