• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hightowers

RaptorSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Tonganoxie, KS. Don't blink! You'll miss it!!
OK...I just restored my headlights and they look GREAT. Now I am ready to Hightower them. I bought some high gloss black paint for the hightowers, and to restore them, I used Permatex Headlight Restoration Kit (www.permatex.com Item # 09135). To reseal them I bought Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant (Item # 80050, also carries part # 66BR). My question is how far down do I go from the top to make the top eyelid, and how far do I come up from the bottom for the bottom eyelid? Also, will the paint I bought (Colorplace high gloss black spray-can, Wal-Mart, $1.00) work, and I searched the forums but couldn't find the answer.....What prepwork is needed to paint the lights, or can I just separate the parts and spray them? Do I need to clearcoat the hightower part, or can I just spray it and forget about it? Thanks for all the help in advance.

RaptorSVT

To hightower your lights (make the chrome inside black) you dont need to paint. Just use chrome polish to remove the chrome, it is a thin coat.

As for the eyelids I would use an automotive paint that matches, I wouldnt want cheap paint to go south and I would have to do it again.

The tops go to the first mold line. Not sure on the bottom probably similar.

We do have a fiberglass and CF eyelid gb going on check the asthetic and gb forum.

Not much prep work for the hightowers. Just bake open the lights, seperate the chrome part. scuff it up with some fine sand paper, spray a couple light coats, wait to dry, put back together. If you are painting on the eyelids, I'd suggest painted them on the inside of the lense, then you dont have to worry about it chipping. Also, just follow the lines on the lense for the lids. easiest way to do this. GL, post pics.

ok...so I lied lol. Here's the pics so far.

Start....
Start-both.jpg

Passenger....super faded!
Start-pass.jpg

Driver....not so great either!
Start-driver.jpg

Both after being cleaned....so nice!
Cleaned-both.jpg

Passenger all cleaned up...What a difference!
Cleaned-pass.jpg

Driver's side...lookin good!
Cleaned-driver.jpg

More pics soon!!

OK I just got them baked open (workin like it's no tomorrow or they would have been done by now) and I have one hightowered with upper and lower eyelids, as well as I have the other one apart. I kinda screwed up the passenger side one because i had a brain lapse and thought "Hey...the inside's a little hazy....lets wetsand it with 600 grit! :troutslap: So now I need to wetsand the crap out of the inside with fine paper to smooth it back out....pics will be attached to this message.

Passenger side....need to clean up and reseal.
hightower-pass.jpg

Driver's side...ready for hightowering
prepped-driver.jpg

Let me know what you guys think so far.

I would hit up the lenses again. I think you can get them to clear up better. Im not a huge fan of hightowers but If you do do it, they look the best crystal clear.

thanks. I know I need to reclean the lenses. 2 things happned there. 1) see earlier post regarding the sandpaper. 2) kids spilled pop on them about a week ago. I am probably gonna clean them today and hightower the drivers side/add eyelids. i'll let you guys n gals know when they are all done

I JUST got mine done as well.... I suggest before you drive with em.. Let them sit overnight outside with the Lights in, on the car. That way you can test the seal and re-caulk/seal if needed. Because if you do a wash or cold weather night/day too many times... you won't be able to fix it. And don't be shy with the sealer. I used clear... little easier to hide.. But since you have the black lids... might be just as easy! Good work By the way... i know it's worth the work. I'm SUPER happy how mine ended up. GOOD LUCK

looks nice with the ozs i like the hightowers on silver

now paint that oval!

that does look good! and i like it on the silver...and mine is silver...yet another mod i wana do! I really cant wait till next month so i can go get my car!

Back