• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Positive feedback on Ford Synthetic manual trans fluid change

jtrimm

New CEG'er
In preparing my '98 SVT for my first autocross, I changed the original manual transmission fluid with Ford's synthetic fluid (it was in-stock at my local Ford dealer).

The transmission shifts MUCH smoother, and there is a noticeable improvement fuel economy (getting another 25 miles/tank), and dare I risk saying it, a noticeable improvement in accelleration response.

In any case, I'm pleased enough with the improvement that I wish I made the change years ago. The HOWTO was excellent and the job was quite straightforward- about an hour doing it my first time. Definately a recommended tweak for folks driving stick.

-Jeff

what kind of fluid did you replace? I had mobil 1 atf in mine when I bought it a week ago, then I just put in royal purple synchromax, and it didn't really improve it much, but I'd say a little bit. Is the ford stuff much better than the royal purple synchromax? I really can't see it being better but has anybody tried both?

what kind of fluid did you replace? I had mobil 1 atf in mine when I bought it a week ago, then I just put in royal purple synchromax, and it didn't really improve it much, but I'd say a little bit. Is the ford stuff much better than the royal purple synchromax? I really can't see it being better but has anybody tried both?

I changed from whatever was shipped with the car. :eek: My car is a '98, but it only has 70k on it (I'm the original owner). I can't recall what the service interval is on the MTX fluid?

I went with the $15/bottle Ford synthetic fluid listed in the MTX transmission fluid change HOWTO. My dealer 2 miles up the road had it in-stock so I went for it. The improvement in smoothness and responsiveness over the original fluid was dramatic, even to the point where I swear acceleration is improved and as a bonus I'm getting ~20-30 more miles out of a tank of gas now. I can't say if that speaks to how good the Ford Synthetic fluid is, or how bad my orginal fluid was? :shrug:

-Jeff

I've got a buddy running the Royal Purple, and he does not blather on about great shifter feel the way I do -- I'm running, and always will run, the Motorcraft Full Syn XT-M5-QS. Here's the way I see it: Ford developed this fluid specially for this use. Further, saving $10 bucks a quart once in a blue moon on another product does not justify having to live with second rate shifter feel. There are folks that are very happy with the Royal Purple, I believe, but you won't get me away from the Motorcraft. I'm just about to head out with some friends for lunch, and can't wait to get back behind the wheel for the 45 mile drive, if that tells you anything.

Also -- check this out, too.

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/docs/New_Transaxle_Fluid_Service.pdf

I just want to find out of the Ford synthetic is better than the Royal Purple Synchromax.
Well, Ford thinks it's better and after just doing a fluid change using the Ford fluid, I'm sold as well. I haven't tried anything else though I do have 3 quarts of that ATF+3 stuff that I'll probably never use. I've stated this before that I can't see how you could go wrong using what Ford recommends because they wouldn't tell you to use something that is going to damage your car. Warranty work doesn't pay well and your dealer doesn't want to see you for any nor does Ford want to pay for any. Yes, buying anything at the dealer parts counter is going to cost you more (except for batteries) and you can find most other Motorcraft parts elsewhere but as LauraSVT stated, the few extra dollars you have to spend every 6 years or whatever really isn't going to break you and it certainly won't break your car.
Karl

Back