• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zuk is starting his 3L swap

zukgod1

CEG'er
Ya here is yet another 3L thread.

I figured I was going to have questions reguardless of how much searching/ reading I do so I figure I will start a build thread to post up progress, pictures and questions as I go.

I Have a 98 I'll be doing the swap on.
It already has some nice 17's and a Koni adjustable cupkit on it.

I picked up an 04 3L and orders the LIM plates from Bugzuki today.
Planning on a full 3L kinda anyway, going to use the SVT UIM and LIM ect then sell off the SVT cams.

This isnt going to be a race car. I just want it to start when the key is turned..

Adding a link for my future reference,

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=23294&highlight=cut

Here is the car.

Picture046.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture042.jpg

I got my jack covers from some ford dealership in las vegas, I think it was Bill jenkins ford. teamfordparts.com. I think i paid about 18 bucks shipped to san diego. check it out.
ok well I checked it out for ya, they are $17.60 they are called access covers. listed under body trim. they come in flat black so your gonna have to paint them. I bought a can paint at autozone an painted mine.

I picked up an 04 3L and orders the LIM plates from Bugzuki today.
Planning on a full 3L kinda anyway, going to use the SVT UIM and LIM ect then sell off the SVT cams.

Full 3L = 3L intakes (generally 3L cams)
Ported 3L = SVT Intakes (generally SVT cams)

Your doing a ported 3L with 3L cams then. :cool: I just sold a car with that setup. It was a great setup. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between the 3L cams and the SVT cams in the ported build. You should be very happy with it.

Your midnight blue interior looks really dark. Did you dye it or buy it dyed already. This will be a fun project for you, enjoy the learning experience ;).

I got my jack covers from some ford dealership in las vegas, I think it was Bill jenkins ford. teamfordparts.com. I think i paid about 18 bucks shipped to san diego. check it out.
ok well I checked it out for ya, they are $17.60 they are called access covers. listed under body trim. they come in flat black so your gonna have to paint them. I bought a can paint at autozone an painted mine.

Wow, thanks for that info. I'll check it out right now.

Full 3L = 3L intakes (generally 3L cams)
Ported 3L = SVT Intakes (generally SVT cams)

Your doing a ported 3L with 3L cams then. :cool: I just sold a car with that setup. It was a great setup. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between the 3L cams and the SVT cams in the ported build. You should be very happy with it.

Thats good to hear. I doubt this car will even get driven when done and if so it will be around town so big power isn't needed at all.

Your midnight blue interior looks really dark. Did you dye it or buy it dyed already. This will be a fun project for you, enjoy the learning experience ;).

It was already that dark.. Could be the lighting when I took the pics as well.

I'm looking forward to the experience, kinda anyway...

Car will look good with some TLC
1. Edit button is your friend.
2. you can quote more than one person per post.

I was able to get the 2 missing jack covers for $44.00 for the pair locally.

Figured I was going to pay $5 ish or so for shipping so it would have been close to the same @ $17.60 ea. then I'll use GT2SVT's suggestion on the painting.

hey $44 bucks isn't that bad, glad you found those! just becareful when you get the paint. I bought the actual toreador red for my car at autozone. it match the paint alright, it matched the paint on the inside of the rocker panels were it didn't fade like the outside. so needless to say the color was slightly off but it made the difference less obvious. your best bet and probably the cheapest would be to just bring in the gas cap to autozone and just try to match it with the paint thats there. hope that helps!

Yes that will help I'm sure. Thanks.

I found another 98 CSVT yesterday locally for $800.00. Engine is toast, bottom end at least.
Thinking of picking it up and parting it out. SVT heads/ UIM/ LIM interior etc. Front and rear bumpers looked good but the side skirts were toast.
Still had the SVT wheels as well.

My bugzuki plates are here!!!! :)

I'm going to get started prepping this weekend I hope.

Any feedback on the post above guys? The parts car is what I'm referring to.

Yes that will help I'm sure. Thanks.

I found another 98 CSVT yesterday locally for $800.00. Engine is toast, bottom end at least.
Thinking of picking it up and parting it out. SVT heads/ UIM/ LIM interior etc. Front and rear bumpers looked good but the side skirts were toast.
Still had the SVT wheels as well.

up to you. personally I would much rather see another SVT saved then parted out. If it just needs a motor and sideskirts and the rest is in good shape I would pick it up to fix it.

It sounds like you could make even more money off of it by swapping a 3.0L in it (or a used 2.5L), putting on some new sideskirts, and selling it as a good car. That's the route I would take. I've been looking for a good candidate for something like that. Too bad it's in Utah.

I don't think the body is good enough to try to keep it on the road :( It looked as it had been damaged at some point and had a bad orange peeled paint job on top of the current damage.
I'll think about it over the weekend I guess. I just didn't want to pick it up and not at least get my money back from parts. I wouldn't mind helping a few fellow CSVT'ers out just don't want to get screwed.

If all you want is a car starting when you turn the key, why not just put the 3L as it is straight in, instead of messing around with it? :shrug:

Back