• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec/ATX gas mileage

Technically it's a header. Get two banks of cylinders and we'll talk.

Also, the type of gasoline used might be important to know. I use E10, so numbers are probably 2-3mpg lower than someone using a non-blended type.
we all know what i mean so STFU :D

as for fuel IIRC all gas stations use E10.

we all know what i mean so STFU :D

as for fuel IIRC all gas stations use E10.

Really? Around here you have a choice between pure gasoline (87 Octane), E10 (89 Octane), premium (91 Octane), and E85 (not sure of the octane). I've seen both blended and regular premium, but both were rated at 91 Octane. If you're using any ethanol blend, you will see a decrease in milage.

all gasoline to my knowledge is subject to having up to 10% ethanol. most oil companies put the full 10% in cause its cheaper for them. every place i have been in the country is that way (i have been to all but about 8 states out west).

A Zetec w/ loud mufflers are REAAAAAAAAAAAAL loud and Hector is right, trust me I've heard his car upclose and road behind going down to the Dragon a couple years ago. If it were me, I'd get a Vibrant muffler and resonater and call it a day:idea:

yeah, but the turbo does cut down on noise pretty well. :shrug:

if I drive absuively ive seen as low as 22mpg. But that was only one tank of gas, driving a whole tank of city miles I saw about 27mpg, and all highway (55mph and above) I have seen as high as 36mpg.

When i drive sensibly mixed city and highway I average 30, and it usualy sits around there +/-2

Oh Roger, Just do it.
This may sound retarded, but I miss my Zetec more than I miss the 3 Litre...

Hey man, on a serious note, why not a Focus. More storage room, newwr and possibly more reliable....

Last edited:
I've read what people are getting for MPG, and I'm surprised. I've got a Zetec with an ATX and I'm getting about 22 mpg with about 1/4 highway and 3/4 city miles. I run 89 octane 10% ethanol and drive somewhat spirited :laugh: - could something be wrong?

I've read what people are getting for MPG, and I'm surprised. I've got a Zetec with an ATX and I'm getting about 22 mpg with about 1/4 highway and 3/4 city miles. I run 89 octane 10% ethanol and drive somewhat spirited :laugh: - could something be wrong?

I just got barely over 22mpg on my last fill-up. I've always wondered if I should be getting better but there doesn't seem to be much wrong with my car and it runs excellent :shrug: . Best I've ever gotten was just over 27, driving ALL highway (mostly 80mph :eek: ). And trust me, I drive rather spirited :cool:

Now I don't feel so bad. Anyone else with a zetec/ATX getting about 22 mixed (city/highway)? My tour runs great ( knock on wood :) ) as well.

Back