• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

I got my sub going in the Cougar on Monday :)

Install yourself?

And speaking of subs. I think I am going to get me one of these. Sub
Went to best buy last night to hear it, and while it wasn't the super duper sub to end all subs, it does sound nice.....and it is 1/2 off direct from polk vs best buy. The 2 12'' floor speakers do a good job with bass, I am not getting the dedicated lows that I want.

Install yourself?

And speaking of subs. I think I am going to get me one of these. Sub
Went to best buy last night to hear it, and while it wasn't the super duper sub to end all subs, it does sound nice.....and it is 1/2 off direct from polk vs best buy. The 2 12'' floor speakers do a good job with bass, I am not getting the dedicated lows that I want.

Turn that bass down!

A good quality bass is good. Just having bass for it being loud bugs me to no end. I am just looking to add some depth to my home movie viewing.

I guess we're reading out of the same book. I can't believe these jokers that have so much absurd bass in their cars that all you can hear is the panels and windows rattling. Like every screw or bolt in the car is voicing its protest.

Our home theater consists of a 15 or so year old Zenith TV set. :cool: :laugh:

i have more stereo equipment then i know what to do with, and its a little annoying at times cause i feel bad when i have high end audio equipment not doing anything.

I've got a Yamaha tape deck that I have to have recalibrated. It needs new transport springs, too, as when you press play, nothing happens. Fortunately, there's a shop near me that specalizes in analog systems. I'll give them my vertical turntable / tape deck / tuner system, too, as that deck has the same problem, and the turntable needs a stylus.

I've got a Yamaha tape deck that I have to have recalibrated. It needs new transport springs, too, as when you press play, nothing happens. Fortunately, there's a shop near me that specalizes in analog systems. I'll give them my vertical turntable / tape deck / tuner system, too, as that deck has the same problem, and the turntable needs a stylus.

I wonder how much money you have saved by not upgrading on anything

I wonder how much money you have saved by not upgrading on anything

That's kind of a cool thought. I'd never considered it. I bet lots. If I had an iPod, a Wii, and other things of that sort, I'd have dropped a nickel right there alone. Not to mention my huge cassette collection has been, for the most part, pretty cheap to acquire.

If it makes you feel better, though, I think I spent something like $125 just shipping the crazy (but awesome) 1981 Mitsubishi system with the vertical turntable down from Saskatchewan. They're rare. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make for one in good condition.

This is it:

70b7_1.JPG

When I first saw this ad years ago, I knew I had to have one. It wasn't until a long time later that I bought one. It's a great conversation piece -- people see it and say, "What the hell is that?!" I love it. :cool:

Install yourself?

Of course!

Made the box on Sunday out of 3/4" MDF. It's not very big, something like 16.5"x13.5"x7.75" I think. Amp mounted on one side, sub on the other. I picked up a decent 8 gauge wiring kit from Knukonceptz and routed the power wire through the firewall Sunday.

Here are some crummy pics for an idear of the size:

2.jpg

3.jpg

Overall I'm happy with it. Sounds good, I didn't get it for the trunk rattle, but to compliment the Alpines in the doors :) Got the whole setup for under $120 as I traded some parts for the sub and got the amp on ebay for like $80. Wiring kit was $30 shipped and I had the MDF laying around :laugh:

i just read you had it laying around, in which case i'd have done the same thing haha

i really like those W1's, for the price they can't be beat, and i love JL. i have an 8w7 and a 12w7 in a high output wedge box. 8w7 gets powered by a 500/1 and the 12 gets power from a 1000/1. my ranger is also amped with a 4 channel alpine for the doors.

i just read you had it laying around, in which case i'd have done the same thing haha

i really like those W1's, for the price they can't be beat, and i love JL. i have an 8w7 and a 12w7 in a high output wedge box. 8w7 gets powered by a 500/1 and the 12 gets power from a 1000/1. my ranger is also amped with a 4 channel alpine for the doors.

Dayuummmmm :eek:

Mine is powered by a 350/1 :laugh: And since it's 4 ohms not 2, it's actually 175ish... Which is considered the "optimum" power rating for this sub. I need to find a better way to hold it upright in the car though. Right now all I have is a bungie cord hooked to the inside wall of the trunk...

I have my 2 sony 1100 watt :rolleyes: 10's in a MTX box with a 1000 watt :rolleyes: sony amp and a small alpine 4 channel amp sitting in my closet. They sounded great in the talon, so so in the tour, but I am happy with the set up Pud put in his car because I have a trunk again.

Back