• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

will these fit???

I don't kow why you would want wider tires. :shrug:

The amount of tire contact with the road doesn't change with the tire width.

Yep, according to him wider tires will give more lateral traction, and less acceleration grip...

The tire contact patch is weight divided by air pressure. So a 5 inch wide tire and a 10 inch wide tire would have the same size patch, but a different shape. This is assuming they have the same tire pressure.

You can't doubt what I say all you want, but go look it up before you make comments.

The tire contact patch is weight divided by air pressure. So a 5 inch wide tire and a 10 inch wide tire would have the same size patch, but a different shape. This is assuming they have the same tire pressure.

You can't doubt what I say all you want, but go look it up before you make comments.

From what i see, he is correct. :ponder:

Other then wider rims weigh more most of the time, and the fact we use higher performance tires on a wider rim most of the time...traction will not differ at all.
Either way wider rims are better for cornering and overall performance. If you are getting excessive wheelspin, drop the tire pressure...

Your logic is flawed. Drag cars' tires pressures are much lower because when the tires heats up from spinning on the asphalt, the air inside will expand inside the tire once the car starts getting traction.

Your logic is flawed. Drag cars' tires pressures are much lower because when the tires heats up from spinning on the asphalt, the air inside will expand inside the tire once the car starts getting traction.

When a drag car spins the tires the temperature does not increase that much. Also, how is my logic flawed?? The air inside the tire will heat up causing the pressure to increase ever so slightly, however, they get better traction because the rubber compound softens so the contact patch is in itself, more effective.

Back