• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which Head Unit to Buy?

Which Head Unit to Buy?

• Total voters
My '98 is where all the good stuff goes. It has...Infinity speakers all around.
I listened to some 6x8's today and really liked the Infinity 6812cf. The Alpine SPR-57C sounded warmer in the store, but I think the Infinity's extra brightness will sound better with road noise. The Kicker KS68 also had that extra brightness and sounded great. SInce I can get the Infinity for almost half the price of the other two, I'll go with those.

Crutchfield has the Kicker and Alpine listed for the rear door only, but other speakers are listed for both front and rear. Do you know what's different about these speakers that makes them usable for rear only?

I listen to a lot of Sinatra, Sammy Davis, as well as 70's rock, so I like the brighter sound. Mine are 5x7 rather than 6x8. At some point I'll move to the larger size, but I got a really good deal on the set of 4, so I snatched them up. The smaller sizez required drilling a few screw holes, but that was no biggie. As far as different specs for front and back, I don't have any idea why they would say a speaker would work for one but not the other. Maybe they just didn't do their research.

Last edited:
I have puschased about a year ago a Jensen 200 watt CD player. Kinda a no name CD player that I thought would get me by. But I was soon surprised that it had excellent sound especially when I put new Pioneer speakers (220 watt and 240 watt). I suggest looking into them. I picked up mine for a mear $100 then a wiring kit for $15. By the way I put the 220 watt speakers in the front (6x8) and the 240 in the back really good bumpage.

I already installed the older (and less powerfull) Pioneers in the front doors. 240w new 6x8s are on the way ($48 shipped (Rudys_Deals), were $55 at WalMart) and will go in the back doors. If you paid $15 for a wiring kit, you got hosed. Wally World has them for $7.

Tracking numbers have been sent to me for both the HU and the speakers. They'll be here Monday. :D

Last edited:
Well I wasn't completly sure how much I paid for it, like I said it was a year ago but yeah it was somewhere around there. Those new speakers should really do the job, tell me what you think once you get them and put them in.

SON OF A B!TCH!!! The P.O.S. Amazon retailer not only took for-damn-ever to ship out the unit, it gets here and it's the wrong damn item! MORONS! So now I sit here and wait for UPS to pick it up so I can get a refund. Their "supplier" claimed the P4800 and the Premier P480 were the same unit. Idiots.

*sigh*

Time to start all over. :(

As far as different specs for front and back, I don't have any idea why they would say a speaker would work for one but not the other. Maybe they just didn't do their reasearch.
I found out the depth clearance in the front and back is a little different.

I installed the Infinity 6812 in my front doors and am really happy with them. I'll probably get a new head unit (Sony CD-GTX310) tonight.

99% of my aftermarket headunits have been Kenwoods. Sound quality in my opinion is amazing compared to others. But for once I have to agree with Steeda, they lack in styling in my opinion. I've owned two alpines and I'll never own another again.. Buttons get stuck on one, and the other I had an eject problem.

Can't stand kenwood. Don't like the displays, the way the radio functions, mp3 selections etc etc

Last edited:
Hey Iring, we just got our new info on units. tell me what your looking for and Ill see what price i can do.

Hey Iring, we just got our new info on units. tell me what your looking for and Ill see what price i can do.
I've been looking at Premier units, both the P490IB and the P590IB.

The best price I've found for the 490IB is $160 shipped, and for the 590IB $188. I can't really decide between the two. On the one hand, the 490 keeps some green illumination that will match the car, which I want. But the 590 has the cooler dot matrix display. At least the 490 does have a two-line display, which is a must. Hmm...go ahead and shoot me a price on the 490IB if you can.

Thanks!

Ya I can. Sorry haven't been in the office today.

Prices
New
490ib $185 shipped
590ib $200 shipped

They are either buying in massive quanities, they are refurbished or they are a wholesaler selling directly to the public. Its hard to beat internet deals becuase of the wholesalers who sell directly. But our premier units have a 2 year warranty which some Internet sellers won't honor. We just return it to pioneer.

That's fine. I wasn't trying to rush you.

I'm sure they're buying in massive quantities and wholesaling. Seems with most electronic purchases, whether made online or at a BAM store, after 30 days or so they tell you to ship it in anyway if it has warranty issues. I'll think it over. I'm still waiting on my refund for the returned unit, so I won't be buying anything until next week.

Ill tell you what my price on that unit is.
490ib is $165 then we have to pay tax on that at the end of the year.

The place that we get our stuff from buys 1000 radios at a time. Soo I don't know. Kinda wonder if they are refurbs or B-stock which they probably are. Thats how most places get away with the lower prices. By selling B stock. I will only sell B-stock/refurbs if the customer knows thats what they are getting

Back