• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's in YOUR crankcase?

6 qts. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20 w/motorcraft filter.

After 3000 miles I lose a quart somwhere along the way.

Since I don't really rack up the miles, I put in mobil clean 5000 in the duratec, and change it every 3000. I've averaged maybe 6000 a year on the car, so basically its spring and fall for oil changes.

Made the change to mobil after using valvoline, and found it came out dark the first two times I used it, but the last 3 years, just mobil clean 5000.

oh and 6 quarts with PureOne oil filter.

...with apologies to Captial One.

I'd like to know what oil y'all are using. You know, conventional or synthetic, what weights. That kind of thing. I've thought it interesting my 1.8L MG calls for 20w50 and my 2.0L Zetec calls for 10w30.

If it wasn't for this forum and all its fine participants, I would have gotten so frustrated at this car and gotten rid of it. Thanks to y'all, I want to try to keep it running forever!

The manual for your Zetec calls for 5W30 and that is what you should run, especially in your winters. Using heavier oil tends to give problems with the variable valve timing mechanism.

As for what I use, currently I have 5W30 Quaker State Synthetic in the SVT with a Motorcraft FL820S filter. I bought a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Synthetic when it had heavy rebates. Some of the specials were $1.99 a quart after rebate and some were $.99 a quart after rebate. I have one more oil change with Pennzoil Platinum before I need to worry about it again. As to what I will use next, it depends on what good stuff I find on sale between now and then.

The Escape has Pennziol Platinum 5W20 in it at the moment.

The Duratec IS NOT a flat tappet engine. It has roller followers. The reduced level of ZDDP in API SM oils has been compensated for with other additives. It will only be an issue on flat tappet engines WITH HIGHER THAN FACTORY VALVE SPRING PRESSURES.

The Duratec IS NOT a flat tappet engine. It has roller followers. The reduced level of ZDDP in API SM oils has been compensated for with other additives. It will only be an issue on flat tappet engines WITH HIGHER THAN FACTORY VALVE SPRING PRESSURES.
Well damn, you're right, it has roller finger followers. I stand corrected. This is also the only engine I own that I've never had apart. Doesn't matter, I'm still going to run an oil with a ZDDP formulation, makes inventory management easier when you're keeping four cars on the road. I've seen too many cams and slider followers with excessive wear to trust the EP formulations in modern, SM rated oils.

Gary M.

Thanks, Big Jim, for setting me straight on the correct oil weight. I don't have a manual on my Zetec (yet) and have just been using what Prolube put in. Since I have nearly 190k miles should I be looking at Maxlife or a similar high mileage formula?:shrug:

Since I have nearly 190k miles should I be looking at Maxlife or a similar high mileage formula?:shrug:

Some folks will tell you to keep doing what you're doing but it couldnt hurt. MaxLife is a very good syn-blend for the price and can do 5000+ easily. I highly recommend the stuff.

I've seen too many cams and slider followers with excessive wear to trust the EP formulations in modern, SM rated oils.

So dont use an EP oil then. And by seen I assume you mean you've heard people talk about it on the internet. SM hasnt been around long enough for any single person to have much experience with multiple damaged engines.

the SVT gets Castrol Syntec 5w-30 with a Motorcraft filter. all of the other cars in my house get Castrol GTX 5w-30 with Toyota or Napa filter. the john deere gets castrol 30 and john deere/napa filter.

CSVT - Mobil 1 5w30 with Motorcraft 820S

FSVT - Mobil 1 5w30 with Motorcraft 400S

Explorer - Mobil 1 5w20 with Motorcraft 820S

'95 V6 Mystique:

10-30 on sale name brand full synthetic from autozone and lots of expensive ($165/gal) moly from a place in texas!

and the 99 cougar has always run 5w20 mobile 1

That's a dirty lie. Mobil 1 didn't offer 5w20 back in 1999. Heck, they didn't have it back in 2001 either. I tried finding it when I bought the Cougar, and even emailed them about it.
Not sure when it was officially released, but I didn't start seeing it in stores until a year or so ago.

98-svt: Valvoline full syn 5W-30 and motorcraft filter-6 quarts.

05-Freestyle: Motorcraft semi syn 5W-20 and motorcraft filter.

03-Kawasaki Z1000: Amsoil 10W-40 and OEM filter

i use 5w30 castrol (any type i can afford)

and k&n oil filter (i used this filter in 2 different cars and personnally think the cars were noticably faster)
i use to use motorcraft filter.

5-30 Valvoline Synthetic in both my Contours - SVT and Zetec.

5-20 Valvoline in my wife's Santa Fe.

I can get the 5-30 Valvoline Synthetic at my local Wal-Mart for under $19. Motorcraft filters are $3.50. I change it every 5k.

...So dont use an EP oil then. And by seen I assume you mean you've heard people talk about it on the internet. SM hasnt been around long enough for any single person to have much experience with multiple damaged engines.

Could be in person experience with Gary -- he's very knowledgeable by all accounts I've heard.

As for my personal oil choice, I think Mobil 1 is overpriced and does not represent a solid value. I ran it for quite a while, but felt I was getting hosed. I'm also not convinced that their quality is what it used to be when they were the standard bearer of synthetic oils. I run Motorcraft synthetic blend 5-30 with a Motorcraft filter.

Thanks, Big Jim, for setting me straight on the correct oil weight. I don't have a manual on my Zetec (yet) and have just been using what Prolube put in. Since I have nearly 190k miles should I be looking at Maxlife or a similar high mileage formula?:shrug:

i would be hesitant to do that omho. I started using Maxlife because I had/have a rear main seal leak. for 4 oil changes it was great and the leak dried up. then all of the sudden it was worse then before. I haven't used it since.

Since new, always Motorcraft 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic blend, with Motorcraft oil filters. All oil changes done by the dealer. Oil change intervals of 3,000 miles, although as of lately, I'm lengthening them to 4,000 miles. Even at 253,000 miles, I've never had to add a quart between changes. Driving is 95% highway.

Bulk 5w-20 w/Motorcraft filter every 2500 miles. Every other or every third change, I sub in one qt of any full synthetic.

Back