• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What would you do...y-pipe or catback exhaust?

SVT

CEG'er
I am either going to get a y-pipe or a catback exhaust system... I am leaning more towards a y-pipe at the moment... but for about the same price I could go with a catback exhaust...

Which would I gain more from?

I would think so too... but what I have been reading, especially from trubendz, the catback exhaust gains the same or more... maybe thats if you have a ypipe. Im not sure at this point.

Upgrade the y-pipe and put in a new high flow resonator. And call it a day. Best gains overall.

The biggest restriction to the catback is the resonator. SVT mufflers flow great as it is.!

Upgrade the y-pipe and put in a new high flow resonator. And call it a day. Best gains overall.

The biggest restriction to the catback is the resonator. SVT mufflers flow great as it is.!

Makes sense...

The previous owner of my car kept everything stock except for the resonator... he took it out and welded a straight pipe in.. weird :laugh:

I've got all kinds of exhaust ideas going through my head right now.

I think I have a good idea :)... I want to buy an upgraded ypipe, a magnaflow 4x9 oval muffler, cut out my muffers in the back and put on magnaflow ss tips...

I mean, I like the 2.25 diameter exhaust and this is the same set-up you would buy from truebendz, but just not a 2.5 diameter... but I believe that a 2.5 is a tad to big to begin with...

I may or may not follow through with this. Only time will tell :)

I would personally go with the cat back exhaust, since it will make your car sound really bad *ss. Get the trubendz Borla exhaust and remember that you can later optimize your y-pipe.

What do you think? :shrug:

Remove the resonator and put in either a magnaflow 4x9 or a borla muffler.Leave the rear mufflers alone. Best exhaust mods to do to our cars...thats what i would do...if i did it all over again.

Of course get a trubendz down pipe with NO cat. :)

I wish i would have gone that route...before changing my exhaust around 30+ times. Then going with true duals.:crazy:

Remove the resonator and put in either a magnaflow 4x9 or a borla muffler.Leave the rear mufflers alone. Best exhaust mods to do to our cars...thats what i would do...if i did it all over again.

Of course get a trubendz down pipe with NO cat. :)

I wish i would have gone that route...before changing my exhaust around 30+ times. Then going with true duals.:crazy:

Sounds good, but why add a muffler where the resonator was if im not going to chop off the mufflers in the back... and if I would add a muffler where the resonator was... i could just add the magnaflow round muffler http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magn...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0cadd028 ... instead of the 4x9

Sounds good, but why add a muffler where the resonator was if im not going to chop off the mufflers in the back... and if I would add a muffler where the resonator was... i could just add the magnaflow round muffler http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magn...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0cadd028 ... instead of the 4x9

In most svt cars just removing the resonator and adding the resonator you posted a link too. Cause drone...70mph...you hear....droooooonnnnneeeeeee. Now when removing the main cat...you will get excess drone...and sometimes some people will get rasp. Now the magnaflow flow muffler...is kinda like what you choose. It's a straight through design...but the fiber chamber is larger...hence the 4x9 size. This will still keep a high flow design...while helping to reduce that unwanted noise we have. Trust me...your car will not be chocked by a 700 cfm flowing 4x9 magnaflow muffler!

Now why add that muffler and not remove the rear mufflers? Because the rear svt mufflers flow over 320 cfms. I know cause i dropped off my old ones and had them bench flowed at the university. :)

Like i said.... This is why the main cat needs to be removed and the resonator swapped for a better flowing one!

In most svt cars just removing the resonator and adding the resonator you posted a link too. Cause drone...70mph...you hear....droooooonnnnneeeeeee. Now when removing the main cat...you will get excess drone...and sometimes some people will get rasp. Now the magnaflow flow muffler...is kinda like what you choose. It's a straight through design...but the fiber chamber is larger...hence the 4x9 size. This will still keep a high flow design...while helping to reduce that unwanted noise we have. Trust me...your car will not be chocked by a 700 cfm flowing 4x9 magnaflow muffler!

Now why add that muffler and not remove the rear mufflers? Because the rear svt mufflers flow over 320 cfms. I know cause i dropped off my old ones and had them bench flowed at the university. :)

Like i said.... This is why the main cat needs to be removed and the resonator swapped for a better flowing one!

Ahhh nice man! Thanks for the detailed response.

This is what I am going to do... Add a highflow y-pipe and cat from trubendz, add a 4x9 muffler where the stock resonator was already removed (to cut back on the rasp that I may get), and keep the mufflers in the rear... Makes sense to me :).

Again, thanks for the help and quick responses. People like you make me like this forum, very helpful.

Ahhh nice man! Thanks for the detailed response.

This is what I am going to do... Add a highflow y-pipe and cat from trubendz, add a 4x9 muffler where the stock resonator was already removed (to cut back on the rasp that I may get), and keep the mufflers in the rear... Makes sense to me :).

Again, thanks for the help and quick responses. People like you make me like this forum, very helpful.

I'm here to help...it's what i do yo :laugh:

It is all coming together, in parts that is...

I ordered a 4x9 magnaflow muffler to go in place of the straight pipe (where resonator was), trubendz ypipe with the magnaflow high flow cat.

I will be installing both sometime during the spring semester. I am keeping the mufflers in the rear. I'll let you all know how it sounds and try to get a quality sound clip.

It is all coming together, in parts that is...

I ordered a 4x9 magnaflow muffler to go in place of the straight pipe (where resonator was), trubendz ypipe with the magnaflow high flow cat.

I will be installing both sometime during the spring semester. I am keeping the mufflers in the rear. I'll let you all know how it sounds and try to get a quality sound clip.

Thats pretty much the same setup as on my last Contour except mine was a BAT y pipe. Sounds good like that but gets annoyingly loud if you add headers.

Back