• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What type of brakes do I have?

avengerc4

CEG'er
Hey all. Got a question. I need brakes ASAP and don't know which to order, E0 or E1? The car is a super low build number but dunno how to tell the differences. Here are some pics. Thanks!

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

and I have SVT Focus wheels on there now. 17x7. My friend let me use them since we both have 3 sets of wheels laying around but none of my summer tires are good and I can't afford a new set.

Anyone know what the best and cheapest rotors would be? Thanks!

-Joe

your car is an E0 so you need the "bigger" of the front pads. Rears are all the same even with reg contours.

look at the rotor/pad sweep in the one pic. he has E0 brakes there is barely any rusty rotor face. If he had E1's you would see more rust on the rotor face

Pretty sure they're E0's, not 100% positive though. It would be easy to tell if the OP wouldn't have been so lazy. . How hard is it to take a good clear picture of the caliper with the wheel off the car ?

well I was at a friends house and didn't have my camera. didn't think about it when we swapped wheels either, but remembered before I left after he got his camera from a friends house. so yah.

Thanks for the help all. Any other way inside the car to tell if it's an E0 or E1? I thought I read on here a couple different ways to tell, but can't find them again. Thanks.

something about the door dings. ya know the molding that stretches downn the side of the car. if it's even with the badging on the fender it's a E! but if it's slightly below the badging the it's a EO. that's from my memory so donr quote me.

something about the door dings. ya know the molding that stretches downn the side of the car. if it's even with the badging on the fender it's a E! but if it's slightly below the badging the it's a EO. that's from my memory so donr quote me.
not even that. beyond that they are a totally different design. e1 are flat e0 arent

It would be so easy to look at the illustrations on the BAT site. Why are you guys wasting your time looking for another, less certain way.

When you look at the illustrations, pay attention to the shape of the tabs on the pads. It is easy to tell the difference. With that you can look at your brakes, with the wheels on, and easily tell.

Here is the link to the brake portion of the BAT catalog:

http://64.202.180.37/files/cbrake.pdf

after 2 returns from rockauto and 1 from autozone heres the fail proof formula heh..

any part that has 762 are only for the E0 svt (the thick pads) and any part that has 648 are for the E1's (skinny pads).. Now if ur looking online (ie autozone) and see nothing for the E1 its cause it will not say svt it will say for base/lx/se which doesnt matter since the e1 svt uses the same brakes as the regular contours. so yea have fun..

so which brakes are actually better? Huh. Interesting. Hope I order the right ones.
better depends. The E0's have bigger pads and calipers and contact more rotor face so they honestly should have a little more braking power. Pads are hard to find at any local stores most of the time though, so take you own opinion on which is better. If you want mine I say the E1's are simply because you dont have to guess about the pads.

Just my .02

I see I see...well do you all suggest I get them from Bat.inc? I heard a lot of good things about them on this site and on the focus site I'm on as well. I've heard they got good stuff. That's where I planned on getting them. Or is there a cheaper quicker option? Thanks!
-Joe

I have bought stuff from BAT and they have always treated me well. I have not bought brake parts from them, as I have other sources.

The main thing I was pointing out about BAT is that their web site had a great explanation (with illustrations) about the difference between the Early and Late SVT front brakes.

better depends. The E0's have bigger pads and calipers and contact more rotor face so they honestly should have a little more braking power.

Pad area has virtually nothing to do with braking power. Braking power between E0 and E1 calipers is virtually identical.

The larger pad on the E0 should have a bit of an advantage in pad life if both have the same pad material, but the E1 caliper will have many more pad material choices available.

Ok I finally got around to checking this...I know I have needed brakes forever...the pads are down to medal now. I tried to get the calipers off to get a pic and couldn't. I couldn't find a damn cheater bar to help me get the bolts off. Here is the best pic I have. I think they are E0's but I hope someone with pads has a measuring tape. Thanks! I really need your help.
IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

Back