• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what should i do first?

D

devanmc

i have a completely stock 99 se zetech. im wondering what i should do first if i want to put some performance parts in?

intake, exhaust (full 2.5" catback or SVT exhaust), focus underdrive pulley. is it an ATX or MTX?

the car isnt exactly worth much im doing work and if im going to a mtx. ill just wait till this trans dies and put in a mtx. i knwo it will be a pain, but it will be a good experiance

its not like you can just drop in an MTX. you have to replace the subframe, pcm, trans mounts/roll resistors, axles, shift linkages, etc. theres a lot of things to do just to swap to an MTX.

very true. but i like a challenge and i like this car. so i figure ill stay with it, even if their are huge expenses on the way

i feel stupid for this question, but i have been reading about people when they put on an intake(for the zetech), that they can hear it? this honestly makes no sense to me

How about some proper end links, sway bar bushings, proper safety equipment, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, under heavy acceleration you can hear the performance intake, though it is expected do to the lack of, forgot what they are called "sound mufflers"....it starts with a B damn i forgot the word....

i said performance the safety stuff is coming in first. i just have to wait for reebs to take it all out of his parts car. why do i need sway bar bushings?

added: i dont really think there is a problem with my suspension right now, other then its stock.
also, the engine sucking air does make sense i just never thought you would be able to hear it on a n/a car, esp an inline 4

Last edited:
Umm baffling?:shrug: :laugh: Kind of like Devan's posts.

resonators....but i was orginally thinking of baffles, but intakes don't have baffles mufflers do

swaybar bushings are important and cheap its the links that will get ya...

swaybar bushings are important and cheap its the links that will get ya...

true, but why do i need them or need to replace them. Their is nothing wrong with the suspension or steering of my car, other then it being stock

true, but why do i need them or need to replace them. Their is nothing wrong with the suspension or steering of my car, other then it being stock

You may think so. Try grabbing a hold of you swaybar while your car is parked, and see if you can move it from side to side. If you can move it without struggling ferociously it means you need new bushings. I had to get new ones. I could definitely feel that something was wrong with my car when I was on the highway. It would make clunking sounds and it would swerve when going high speeds and going through crosswinds. It was actually kind of scary. It's OK now, though :). However, the bushings are a pain to get to...I don't want to go through that fiasco again :crazy:

well ill jack my car up and check later today. it just rain and is going to again soon. ill tell you what i find then
or do i just need to run out and pull on the sway bar and not the tire like i have read else where on here.

For the Zetec, suspension is by far the best upgrade.

The HMS built transmission with Quaife was probably the best upgrade I did. Felt like a new car. The BAT kit was also a great upgrade as well.
The better (and cheaper) upgrades are swapping in a larger rear sway bar and adding a rear strut tower brace. Front brace does nothing and there's no need to swap the front sway bar.
Also, replacing the motor mounts with SVT mounts (with inserts) and upgrading all the suspension bushings to polyurethene is a good idea.

Back