• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What mods would you do to a 13,000 mile SVT?

biminiLX

Hard-core CEG'er
Hello, I have a good idea what I want to do to the car but I'd love to hear some input. The car is 100% stock.
Before some cries to keep it in a bag, this will be my daily driver, about 20-25,000 miles/yr. for the next 2 and a half years.
I couldn't find a better car for what I wanted (fun, resale, MTX, 4-door, mpg) so I am happy. I never had bought low mile cars before, but this is 2 in a row (just sold a '97 SHO I bought with 9700 miles in June). Also, I have an 800+hp Mustang so I don't need speed as a priority. I want to build off the well rounded package the SVTC is already.
Planned mods:
1) stuff I will do now: 35% tint, subframe connectors, undercoating (my bro details at a dealership and he offered to do this free before winter)
2) plan on driving it this winter and see what I want to change, but mostlikely this spring: 17" FSVT wheels, CAI, shifter/knob, DMD, UDPs, exhaust (at least mufflers and tips)
3) after that and some miles: warmonger/FSVT brake upgrade, SS lines, springs/dampners (BAT kit maybe), rear sway bar, STB

OK, lets hear your thoughts. Any input appreciated.
-J

Forgot to add please include any necessary maintenence you would suggest. For example, I knew the SHO needed the cams welded.
I already have plans to swap in the Ford MTX lube when I get the car.
-J

that kind of stuff is a pretty standard, I would go with all of that.

BTW if you ever decide to upgrade the suspension, I will take your old Struts and springs and mounts off of your hands, for a reasonable price.

Drop in a 3L and save that low mileage rare 2.5 SVT motor! Put the miles on a fun 3L is what I would do, seriously!

Leave it bone stock. Change all fluids and ensure that the trans gets its 2.1 quarts of Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS synthetic tranny fluid. :cool:

You would be shooting yourself in the foot for modding a 13K mile stock SVT. You may have one of the lowest mile svt's around.

If I was buying a low mileage SVT like that, I would only consider if it was stock. I want something thats all original. (Im surprised your going to be driving it in the winter as well.) I mean, if its the silver one that was on ebay, it still has the original tires!! Modding it will only hurt the resale value imho.

Maybe im just sentimental.

Last edited:
If you're going to mod it miles dont matter. You're not going to post up that it has 13k miles every time are you?

You would be shooting yourself in the foot for modding a 13K mile stock SVT. You may have one of the lowest mile svt's around.

If I was buying a low mileage SVT like that, I would only consider if it was stock. I want something thats all original. (Im surprised your going to be driving it in the winter as well.) I mean, if its the silver one that was on ebay, it still has the original tires!! Modding it will only hurt the resale value imho.

Maybe im just sentimental.
Absolutely agreed.

Lower it on new wheels. It's a waste of money modding these cars for power anyways :cool:

Thanks for the replies everybody.
For all the 'keep it stock' people, I thought I addressed that in starting the thread. I hate to break your heart but none of my cars will ever be completely stock, this included. No fun in that for me, especially a car like this when there are so many ways to improve from the baseline.
I understand and agree that it is ashame that it will be driven in winter, but it is a car to me, not a museum piece, and will be driven as SVT intended on a daily basis. I do however keep exceptional care of my vehicles and this car will remain VERY nice and clean.
I'm really not concerned with resale by keeping it stock; it is an SVT and will always hold its value. The mods may not improve on resale when I sell, but the tasteful stuff won't detract to a real enthusiat either.

If you're going to mod it miles dont matter. You're not going to post up that it has 13k miles every time are you?
:rolleyes:
Well, its kinda important to this topic as well as the other thread I started; so yes, I'll post the miles as long as its relevant to the discussion.
Plus it is cool that it is such a low mile car.
-J

I started modding my svt with 15k on the clock so to each his own.

My list....

Lower with 17 wheels. I am a big fan of my Koni's but they can be a little harsh for a DD.

The water pump I pulled out of mine was the updated version but its worthy insurance.

If you want to really help with longevity splurge on an accusump to take care of any oil starvation issues in the upper rpm range/sweeping right hand turns.

Open intake sounds nice.

Stock stereo is kind of weak, if you care. I didnt and am still rocking stock.

As far as exhaust goes, headers are fun, and replacing the stock resonator with a magnaflow unit. Could also replace the rear mufflers with magnaflows w/ tips. Although, if you go that far might as well do a full cat back from trubendz.com.

OK, back on topic.
I want to hear from the SVTC experts (and especially those with modded examples):

What mods added the most enjoyment to driving the vehicle?

What maintenence issues would you address first?

As far as mods go, I'm looking for the basics (no 3L swap or FI).
I am not a young kid who will throw every mod available on the car.
I have modified much more expensive cars (my '04 Cobra had the wheels swapped with 150 miles and was on the dyno for tuning at 700 miles) and only will do tasteful stuff that gets results.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't want to sound like an @ss, just want to be clear that I am not a car newbie, just new to the Contours.
I am very excited to have this as my daily driver.
-J

Thanks Adam, that is the advice I was looking for.

How do you guys like the short throw shifters?
B&M or Steeda?
My Mustangs always get 2 things asap---subframe connectors and shifters. I was going to wait and see how the stocker feels before changing.

I have the b&m and really like it. It is a pretty tall shifter without. Especially if you are acustom to something really low in your other cars.

Also, if you plan to rip gears in this car you will need to seriously think about an ATB differential, quaife or torsen. If you are nice to it you should be fine.

My original comment was more based towards the fact that if you're going to mod it, you're going to mod it. Miles are Miles. Cars are built to be driven.

Torsen and a 3 liter are the best mods you can do to the contour. If you dont want to do the 3 liter, do the torsen.

My list for your car?

Sticky tires
Lowering springs and struts
Torsen ATB
Intake
Headers
High flow cat / ypipe
Borla exhaust

Back