• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are better cams?

I'm not arguing that the SVT cams will make more power and torque (though specifically at higher rpm). That is exactly why my car has SVT cams in it.
I was making it clear that the 04 cams are higher lift than the previous 3L or SE cams.

Hey Rara I measured the SE cams and they have the same lift as the SVT and the Taurus 04 cams just like the Taurus they have more mid range less duration. I really think the SE cams in the 3 liter engine will perform good or better then taurus. Joey

Good reading there, thanks for the info.
Now what was left at the end of that topic was the duration (and overlap).
DOHC engines are lift limited by design (compared to OHV) and the SVT cams have the best lift of that group, so that increase is significant.
I'd still like to know the duration specs but I'd assume the SVTs have the most as its a MTX/higher rev application.
-J

I wouldn't say 4-valve engines are limited on lift as they do not need as much because of increased valve area. That is the advantage of 4-valve engines, the ability to pack more valve area for a given bore size and consequently, can supply more valve curtain.

Procyon: Do you have duration at nominal valve lifts as well as LCA and degreed centerlines?

I wouldn't say 4-valve engines are limited on lift as they do not need as much because of increased valve area. That is the advantage of 4-valve engines, the ability to pack more valve area for a given bore size and consequently, can supply more valve curtain.
I agree with you :cool: .
My statement was just that DOHCs are more LIFT limited than OHVs (by design and necessity) and that smaller increases in lift will mean more due to what you posted.
Duration numbers should be interesting to see.
-J

Last edited:
I agree with you :cool: .
My statement was just that DOHCs are more limited than OHVs (by design and necessity) and that smaller increases in lift will mean more due to what you posted.
Duration numbers should be interesting to see.
-J

I have to disagree there. The only real disadvantages I see to 4-valve engines is the increased chamber surface area which loses more heat. Even so, it isn't a big loss.

Demon had cam specs up for seat-seat duration. I'm more interested in duration @.050" or .040" lift if someone has them.

Last edited:
I have to disagree there. The only real disadvantages I see to 4-valve engines is the increased chamber surface area which loses more heat. Even so, it isn't a big loss.

Demon had cam specs up for seat-seat duration. I'm more interested in duration @.050" or .040" lift if someone has them.
Oops, forgot the most important word in my statement.....LIFT limited.
So as it was mis-written originally, yes I'd disagree too.
-J

Back