• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well, Edmunds likes it.

"Better" is a pretty open term, but for those of us who have to drive their cars year round in the snow, well, theres many choices for under $30K:

1. EVO Ralliart...barely

2. Mazdaspeed 3...waaaaaay under $30K:cool:

3. JCW MINI....base model:rolleyes:

4. Cobalt SS....also, waaaaay under $30K and for $650 the dealer installed tune can't be beat

5. GTI...quality, perf and value

Now don't get me wrong, I like the car, alot, but I'm just commenting on the "better car for $30K thing":shrug:

"Better" is a pretty open term, but for those of us who have to drive their cars year round in the snow, well, theres many choices for under $30K:

1. EVO Ralliart...barely

2. Mazdaspeed 3...waaaaaay under $30K:cool:

3. JCW MINI....base model:rolleyes:

4. Cobalt SS....also, waaaaay under $30K and for $650 the dealer installed tune can't be beat

5. GTI...quality, perf and value

Now don't get me wrong, I like the car, alot, but I'm just commenting on the "better car for $30K thing":shrug:

No one said there weren't better cars, what was said was that it'll probably be the best RWD Coupe for under $30k.

That's like saying the Contour had 4 doors, so it competes with a Maserati Quattroporte.

uh..yeah, a 20k sport sedan competing with a 400hp ~80k italian luxury sport sedan.

we're talking a ~30k 300hp 2 door coupe vs another ~30k 300hp 2 door coupe. what exactly would the genesis be competing with? or are you going to say it's alone in it's class?

No no, based on the logic you posted, if it has 4 doors...it's clearly competition regardless of the country of origin and performance. While we're at at we can just compare a GTR to a Mustang as well. :rolleyes:

The only Mustang it can legitimately be compared to would be the V6.

not in the same performance bracket though.

I dont know about that my friend... the Hyundai Genesis sedan is said to have a higher quality rating and more comfortable than its mercades benz counter parts.

the times are a changin'

That's not exactly a point to brag about. It's fairly common knowledge (and backed up 100% by every Mercedes we've had in the shop) that Mercedes build quality is nowhere near par for any car, let alone what's deemed a "quality" brand. Look at the ML, for instance. It's, with the possible exception of the SC430, the worst vehicle to come out of the past decade.

No one said there weren't better cars, what was said was that it'll probably be the best RWD Coupe for under $30k.

I haven't driven the Genesis just yet (it's on my very long list-o-stuff-to-do), but it's going to have to be one hell of a car for me to prefer it over an RX-8. I've always been extremely impressed with the RX-8.

No no, based on the logic you posted, if it has 4 doors...it's clearly competition regardless of the country of origin and performance. While we're at at we can just compare a GTR to a Mustang as well. :rolleyes:

no that's the logic you twisted around to suit your own ridiculous argument :rolleyes:

when they start marketing these things, what cars do you think you're gonna see it compared to as the competition? or what cars are gonna be featured in all the car mag roundups? hmm...lets name a few RWD 2 Door coupes: mustang, g35/37 coupe, 350/370z, maybe even *gasp* the 335i but at the very least the lower end 3 series offerings. All but one have (or atleast had) similar 300hp V6 ratings, except the mustang with the V8 but still 300hp.

when the SVT contour came out it was compared with the bmw 3 series and the the audi a4. both of which were ATLEAST 10k more expensive.

nobody's comparing a 30k mustang to an 80k supercar here but you. so just stop being silly already.

The whole gist of the thread was about "for less than $30k." If the GT premium is coming in over $31k, then it's not a valid point to make. Plain and simple. Continuously coming in and saying "OMFG MUSTANG!!!11ELEVEN1WUN" is negligible solely on the fact that the the whole aspect was about under $30k.

Also, I didn't twist anything. You said "It's a coupe and it's RWD, engine is relevant." That same non-descriptive logic also implies if it has 4 wheels, 4 doors, seats, windows, and carpet...then you can compare a Civic to a Taurus because "engine size is irrelevant."

Also, I didn't twist anything. You said "It's a coupe and it's RWD, engine is relevant."

uh, right...because we're comparing two RWD coupes perhaps?? :shrug:

That same non-descriptive logic also implies if it has 4 wheels, 4 doors, seats, windows, and carpet...then you can compare a Civic to a Taurus because "engine size is irrelevant."

Are you being serious? A civic to a taurus? Now that's an example of two cars that are in completely different classes. Comparing compact, or even sub compact car to a full sized sedan....now that is a stupid comparison.

i'm not arguing over the "best bang for the buck car under $30k" thing, i think that's obvious. but to sit here and say you can't compare the V6 Genesis to a mustang because it has a bigger engine or because it costs a couple grand more is utterly ridiculous. It's obvious that hyundai was aiming to steal sales from ford, infiniti, and nissan with the genesis coupe....and if you still insist you can't compare the two, well then i'd like to know which car(s) you think the genesis is in direct competition with and can subsequently be compared to :confused:

I priced out the 4cyl turbo w/Trac pack and it came in at $27.5, not bad considering the torque is pretty good down low and its got a turbo, so the mods would be pretty easy. Its only got the 5spd stick and comes w/Brembos, pretty impressive for sure:cool:

uh, right...because we're comparing two RWD coupes perhaps?? :shrug:

Go figure, a Civic and a Taurus are both FWD sedans.:shrug:

Are you being serious? A civic to a taurus? Now that's an example of two cars that are in completely different classes. Comparing compact, or even sub compact car to a full sized sedan....now that is a stupid comparison.

i'm not arguing over the "best bang for the buck car under $30k" thing, i think that's obvious. but to sit here and say you can't compare the V6 Genesis to a mustang because it has a bigger engine or because it costs a couple grand more is utterly ridiculous. It's obvious that hyundai was aiming to steal sales from ford, infiniti, and nissan with the genesis coupe....and if you still insist you can't compare the two, well then i'd like to know which car(s) you think the genesis is in direct competition with and can subsequently be compared to :confused:

RX8, 370Z, G37.

I don't think any of these cars, when conceived, were designed to steal sales from Ford. I'm sure they had much higher aims like BMW, Merc, and Lexus.

Go figure, a Civic and a Taurus are both FWD sedans.:shrug:

ok, i think you need to go figure out exactly what determines what class a car is in. comparing a compact economy car to a full sized...somewhat "luxury" sedan is a serious "failboat" as you put it.

RX8, 370Z, G37.

I don't think any of these cars, when conceived, were designed to steal sales from Ford. I'm sure they had much higher aims like BMW, Merc, and Lexus.

ok, so you can't compare the genesis to the mustang, which is another rwd coupe with similar power because it costs a couple grand more - but YOU CAN compare it to the G37 Coupe...which is atleast 5 grand more for a base model, and the 6MT only just starts at 37k!? With just nav and the premium package comes out to 43k, and with every option tops out at $47k! :shrug::confused:

and then go on to say you think the car was targeted at bmw and mercedes buyers? :shrug::confused:

i feel like i'm in the twilight zone here...

Wrong....

HP: Same ball Park
Price: Same ball park (differ by 1,000 dollars or so)
Options: Same ball park
Performance: Almost identical, but a slight but clear edge to the Mustang....

What planet are you on?:confused: You're normally a pretty smart, clear-minded person. You're acting like a fanboy here:shrug:

Just in case you're all thinking about buying the 4 cyl and going power crazy. I read an article that dissected the engine and it's an open block design.

So don't get your hopes up for anything over 400hp w/o dropping a ton of money into it.

Back