• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well, Edmunds likes it.

No my original argument was that automakers continued producing FWD and produce primarily FWD because people preferred them. Read back.

ok, i will:

Most cars produced nowdays are FWD because people prefer FWD cars. They are easier to drive and generally safer. Why do you think manufacturers switched to producing FWD cars when they had been making only RWD for decades, it wasnt to piss off and alienate the average consumer.

I wont deny that originally automakers started making FWDs when they were trying to produce smaller more fuel efficient cars.

so then why are you still flapping your gums? that's all i ever said from the beginning.

It was also common knowledge years ago that the only thing that came out of japan was cheap junk, that black people were inferior, leaches could cure disease by sucking out the bad blood, and that you could cure most psychological problems by drilling a hole in someones head to release the demons, but that doesnt mean its true. Go ahead, read back over some articles over the last 20 years, learn something. Many enthusiasts prefer RWD, but the average consumer wants the easy to drive FWD. Its simple economics, small rear drive cars can be produced and have been produced off and on over the last couple decades, but sales have been less than successful, except among niche buyers. Economics dont lie. A lot more rear drive cars would be available if there was someone who would buy them.

are you mentally retarded or something? you keep coming back to what people prefer now. nobody's arguing that with you. just how they came about in the first place! jeezus!

Many cars were made RWD and still got excellent fuel economy while at the same time being cheap to produce and purchase, much of the reason it was standardized was also because consumers wanted easy to drive safe cars.

You have to realize that once FWD started catching on, people loved it.

Lol, I think world is a little more complex than what you think, as the marketing folks out there love people like you :)...you seem to think you have wrapped your arms around what the consumer wants, or did want, at the onset of fwd platforms in the US...what makes you the expert? :shrug: it's just your personal opinion unless you can cite some form of factual evidence to back it up...however, since you like wikipedia so much, :laugh: heres something else for you to ingest since it conflicts with your statement that rwd drive platforms are cheap to produce...

"Making this change easier (to fwd) was the fact that U.S. manufacturers had invested relatively little in the rather expensive and complex task of developing modern rear-wheel drive independent suspension layouts. Detroit's "Big Three" enjoyed a remarkable run of 75 low-cost years building passenger cars with the live rear axle design first seen on the Ford Model T. Some suggest that the introduction of the modern Volkswagen Rabbit in 1975, from a mainstream U.S. competitor, served as a useful wake-up call for the "Big Three." Chrysler's vehicle lineup was almost entirely front wheel drive by the end of the 1980s. GM followed Chrysler in the mid-1990s, with the exception of the Corvette and F-body lineup."

...suck it up, you're in losing argument, so you might as well admit defeat :D ;)

ok, i will:
so then why are you still flapping your gums? that's all i ever said from the beginning.
are you mentally retarded or something? you keep coming back to what people prefer now. nobody's arguing that with you. just how they came about in the first place! jeezus!

um first, yeah read below, second, I guess what I said the in my first post about it came out wrong, I didnt mean it to sound like I was denying that FWD was introduced by the gas crisis, I was just trying to illustrate that consumers quickly fell in love with the FWD concept and thats why detroit geared itself to a nearly complete switch to FWD instead of the partial you saw at first. Anyways, TGO, dont take offense at the next part of my post because you do seem like you are thinking things through and its not my intention to get into a pissing match with you since obviously I misunderstood you since I thought you were arguing the other point with me, so this is intended for the kid who keeps quoting wiki to me, is arguing that the US consumer doesnt want FWD cars, its all a marketing conspiracy, and told me about how he just won the internetz.

Lol, I think world is a little more complex than what you think, as the marketing folks out there love people like you :)...you seem to think you have wrapped your arms around what the consumer wants, or did want, at the onset of fwd platforms in the US...what makes you the expert? :shrug: it's just your personal opinion unless you can cite some form of factual evidence to back it up...however, since you like wikipedia so much, :laugh: heres something else for you to ingest since it conflicts with your statement that rwd drive platforms are cheap to produce...

"Making this change easier (to fwd) was the fact that U.S. manufacturers had invested relatively little in the rather expensive and complex task of developing modern rear-wheel drive independent suspension layouts. Detroit's "Big Three" enjoyed a remarkable run of 75 low-cost years building passenger cars with the live rear axle design first seen on the Ford Model T. Some suggest that the introduction of the modern Volkswagen Rabbit in 1975, from a mainstream U.S. competitor, served as a useful wake-up call for the "Big Three." Chrysler's vehicle lineup was almost entirely front wheel drive by the end of the 1980s. GM followed Chrysler in the mid-1990s, with the exception of the Corvette and F-body lineup."

...suck it up, you're in losing argument, so you might as well admit defeat :D ;)

You do realize that quoting wikipedia isnt making you any smarter. Quit while you think you are ahead. What do you mean "cause I love wikipedia so much" Really, you have been the one quoting it. You honestly dont have a clue what you are talking about anymore do you, you just quoted an article that had nearly nothing to do with the topic at hand except the fact that they are talking about front wheel drive. Go read a book. Seriously, dont you know what you are doing at all? Yes the internet has a lot of information. I know it seems like a magical place to you and it makes you feel smarter every time you hit the letter tray and differnt pictures come up on the magic box on your desk. But you have to take your mouse. Thats the little thing with 2 buttons that makes the magic arrow on the screen move, and you have got to use that to click other sources of information. Then when you have clicked those sources of information, read them, find out where they get their facts from, then decide what those facts mean when you compare them to the idea you are trying to think of. Thats called learning. Now, stop. When your head stops hurting you can try to read the next sentence. keep doing that until you actually understand what you are talking about. Come back when you need more than 2 hands to count your IQ.

I mean seriously, quoting me a story about how it wasnt so bad to switch to front wheel drive cause they hadnt been making many rear drive vehicles with independent suspension? What does that have to do with whether or not you can produce a cheap rear wheel drive car.

Ok, I understand you dont trust information if it doesnt come directly from the almighty wikipedia, so here you go.
http://wikicars.org/en/Tata_Nano
See look it comes from a wiki!!! your brain should be able to handle that right? OMG a REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR. Its cheap, small, and gets good milage????? Whats that? I havent just shattered the whole pretense of reality that the other wikipedia article you read gave you. Ok take a deep breath. Now explore the internet. You will never guess what you find, LOTS of cheap rear wheel drive cars that have been produced but failed, or the american consumer never wanted in the first place. If thats to hard for you, please PM me, there is really no need for us to clutter this thread anymore, and I can show you dozens of examples. Heck I might even be able to direct you to several articles from magazines, yeah I know its analog not digital, but once upon a time thats where we got our information from, and really, its often more reliable than what someone posts on the internet.

Lawl. I did think them through, I think you're the one that needs to wake the hell up.

Since you're still using numbers to try and list your arguments...

1. I listed it for the Genesis Coupe because it still comes in cheaper than the GT Premium with the best (so far) option/package it comes with.

2. (I think you meant 3 since you skipped #2 on my list) Engine size is irrelevant in my opinion when it comes to sound. The CSVT's 6 cylinder sounded pretty damn good stock and even better with something aftermarket. Plus, that would imply the Mustang is a performance car. In my eyes it's just an overweight car with a big engine.

4. (Again, where's 3?) Again, you're comparing raw power of a V8 to a V6. Drag racing in my eyes is pointless, drag racing on a highway with traffic is just :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing stupid.

Sure, you could spend a little more for the Mustang, but the fact of the matter is...the video said for the money you'd spend on the coupe, which brings us back to the Mustang costing MORE.
Might as well continue the trend...

1. When dealing with nearly 30K cars, 1K is negligable for a crapload of stuff. Sure, the Genesis has more optional weight for less; but when you're speaking about performance cars, that's just useless.

2. I did mean 3. I got a bit excited. I never said engine size was a factor; but having heard both, I'd say the Mustang is the clear winner in sound. Really, what sounds better than a V8? Not a V10, or a V12. 8 is, for some reason, the magic number.

3. (got it right this time) Yes, the Mustang is faster; for approx. the same money. I don't street race, nor do i condone it (I think it's completely moronic...); but if you can think hypothetically; you will get my argument. There are idiots out there who will do it, and they will own these cars. Besides a drag strip, where else wil they actually race in stock form? Either way, the Mustang wins. BTW, straightline is not useless. What makes you smile more, a good launch at a green light, or taking that hairpin 5 MPH faster?

I prefer tires that do:drool:

Speaking of I saw someone doing a burnout at a stoplight with the colored smoke tires and had to laugh. Half because of the huge cloud and attention and half because the guy behind him was probably gonna beat his ass for throwing that crap all over the front of his car.

Might as well continue the trend...

1. When dealing with nearly 30K cars, 1K is negligable for a crapload of stuff. Sure, the Genesis has more optional weight for less; but when you're speaking about performance cars, that's just useless.

2. I did mean 3. I got a bit excited. I never said engine size was a factor; but having heard both, I'd say the Mustang is the clear winner in sound. Really, what sounds better than a V8? Not a V10, or a V12. 8 is, for some reason, the magic number.

3. (got it right this time) Yes, the Mustang is faster; for approx. the same money. I don't street race, nor do i condone it (I think it's completely moronic...); but if you can think hypothetically; you will get my argument. There are idiots out there who will do it, and they will own these cars. Besides a drag strip, where else wil they actually race in stock form? Either way, the Mustang wins. BTW, straightline is not useless. What makes you smile more, a good launch at a green light, or taking that hairpin 5 MPH faster?

1. Not in today's economy.

2. Of course a V8 is going to sound throatier. You're still comparing the sound of a smaller engine to a bigger engine though.

3. It seems like the more you reply to this, the more it's becoming a personal preference, and to assume most people are going to think like you isn't the best approach for an answer.

1. Not in today's economy.

2. Of course a V8 is going to sound throatier. You're still comparing the sound of a smaller engine to a bigger engine though.

3. It seems like the more you reply to this, the more it's becoming a personal preference, and to assume most people are going to think like you isn't the best approach for an answer.

I'm more arguing my personal preferance and why I think the Mustang is a better deal so in that sense; you are correct.

As far as the sound goes, I said, flat out, it would sound better. I don't care what engine is in the Genesis or the Mustang. Objectively speaking, the Mustang sounds better...

No matter how you say it, you're still comparing a V8 to a V6 when the fact is the V6 is the biggest engine offered in the Genesis Coupe. Now if it had an engine comparable in displacement, then you'd have a valid point. Until then, in the grand scheme of it all...you're still saying the V8 sounds better than a V6.

Which, in the long run means "Apples to Oranges."

subjective. i think the exhaust on a G35 coupe sounds pretty damn sweet. one of my favorite sounding exhausts. i'd probably pick it over a stock GT.

No matter how you say it, you're still comparing a V8 to a V6 when the fact is the V6 is the biggest engine offered in the Genesis Coupe. Now if it had an engine comparable in displacement, then you'd have a valid point. Until then, in the grand scheme of it all...you're still saying the V8 sounds better than a V6.

Which, in the long run means "Apples to Oranges."

Ok... How's this.....

The larger engine in the Mustang is sweeter than the larger engine in the Genesis...

Do you now undestand my argment?:crazy:

And just for you, I'd say even the V6 in the Mustang sounds tougher. Better?

This is not apples to oranges. This performance coupe to performance coupe....

subjective. i think the exhaust on a G35 coupe sounds pretty damn sweet. one of my favorite sounding exhausts. i'd probably pick it over a stock GT.
6 cylinder for life! especially turboed inline 6s

G35/G37 and 350Z/370Z are some of the best sounding cars, stock, period.

Sure you can make other cars sound good with aftermarket mufflers etc. But the G35 and 350Z sound amazing stock. Every time I drive one at work I always give it some gas to hear that exhaust tone :cool:.

I agree that the G35 is better sounding, but the 350Z still sounds pretty good, better than a stock Mustang does.

Back