• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

warlbro fuel pump install

BrApple

No Life But CEG
based on everything I read on the old forums I picked up a walbro fuel pump, part number GSS340 and ran into a problem.

First the connectors are way different between my stock pump and the walbro. the walbro uses a much larger connector then my stock pump.

next the stock filter/stock is also much smaller and didn't fit onto the pump. Now the pump did have a small filter in the bottom.

the pump I got didn't come with either a harness or connector.

everything I read said it was pretty much a drop in .... so can anyone explain why this didn't just "drop in" as I read?

ok so it appears that all the pumps on ebay come with a harness and filter sock .... so that would make it drop in other then splicing the connector?

Last edited:
ok so it appears that all the pumps on ebay come with a harness and filter sock .... so that would make it drop in other then splicing the connector?

Thats been my experience. People usually re-wire the pump to use a relay from the battery and the factory pump wires to switch the relay so it gets full power all the time.

That's what I started thinking about after I posted it. I jumped on "duratec performance" at first, maybe just instinctual (or habitual) but then FI was starting to sound more proper anyway. a momentary lapse in thought process. carry on!

good luck with the install.

That's what I started thinking about after I posted it. I jumped on "duratec performance" at first, maybe just instinctual (or habitual) but then FI was starting to sound more proper anyway. a momentary lapse in thought process. carry on!

good luck with the install.

don't worry about it, I got way to much sun yesterday and started beleiving you :laugh:

well it seems that I didn't research enough and I didn't get everything that I needed for the install ... oh well. at least it will come out easier next time.

The only "kits" I've ever seen come with two short hoses, a few small hose clamps, some ring terminal wires and maybe a fuel strainer. Nothing I would get too excited about.

The only "kits" I've ever seen come with two short hoses, a few small hose clamps, some ring terminal wires and maybe a fuel strainer. Nothing I would get too excited about.

well from what I have seen I need all of those items. the connector to the stock pump is way smaller so I need the pigtail for the walbro pump. Also the stock pump filter/sock has a much smaller openning then teh walbro so I need one of those also.

All of those items come in the install kit ...

Search for the how-to on NECO. Mine came with a connector which I spliced into and I also had issues with the filter sock at the bottom but I can't remember exactly what I did to get it to work.

i think i have the remainder of my kit from when i put one in the zetec. ill have to check tonight but if i do you can have it.

well as I said we removed the stock pump then reinstalled it. I didn't notice anything sunday but yesterday after driving the car I smelled gas. Didn't notice anything while driving, just the smell of gas in the cabin after the car was sitting.

I looked at the top of the tank and it was dry. Didn't notice anything under the car last night either but I will check again.

I think it maybe left over gas that was spilled but I am not sure. so I dissconnected the battery last night and left the window cracked open to air it out.

any other thoughts?

Did you make sure the rubber O ring was in place at the top flange when you put the pump back in?

Did you end up cutting into the car to get the pump out? If so you may not have the best seal to keep the vapors out. Use duct tape to cover the slits.

Did you make sure the rubber O ring was in place at the top flange when you put the pump back in?

Did you end up cutting into the car to get the pump out? If so you may not have the best seal to keep the vapors out. Use duct tape to cover the slits.

well aircougar was doing the work so I am sure he made sure the seal was back in.

Yes he did have to cut the sheet metal to get the pump out. I will try the duct tap if everything else checks out.

Back