• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Voilent Shaking: Front Passenger..

Voilent. It sounds like how they say it up in Newark. Poimits. We're gonna have to pull your building poimits. :laugh:

If, after replacing the wheel bearing, you still have vibration, take a look at both the LCA bushings, as mentioned, and the ball joint.

I went to places around here and for 1 bearing to get taken out and a new one pressed in im getting charged $50 bucks everywhere more or less....

$40 was the minimum.... ill wait for the garage to open up so I can use the press....

The hammer was to knock out the Hub from the Knuckle and with it came out half of the bearing.... I didnt hammer the bearing it self cause its like 3 pieces, i doubt I would do anything but take out one of the middle pieces of the bearing...

Also I have a piece of the bearing stuck to the outside of the hub and most of the bearing is inside of the knuckle(the part that holds to the strut/outer tie rod/LCA, if im using the terminology correctly)....I also got everything off of the car knuckle and hub so i can further work with it properly or take it to a garage...

- amyn

Wow, $50 for a 15 min job...:nonono: Try going to a family owned garage and see if you can make a deal for cash. Also avoid using cheep bearings, those will not last long = More install $ and PITA in the long run.

Wow, $50 for a 15 min job...:nonono: Try going to a family owned garage and see if you can make a deal for cash. Also avoid using cheep bearings, those will not last long = More install $ and PITA in the long run.

Timkens are a good bet.

The Press was an easy job! Popped the bearing right out.... Now i popped the new bearing in and everything looks pretty decent so far....

I am not sure If i have to press the hub back on as well.......

any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

- amyn

Yes you will need to press the hub back into the bearing, and make sure you support the entire back of the bearing when doing so... the hub will push the back half of the bearing apart if its not supported, then you would have to start all over with a new bearing!!!

Thats what I thought...... The bearing will have to go all the way back to the retaining clip as well when being pressed into the knuckle???

- amyn

Thats what I thought...... The bearing will have to go all the way back to the retaining clip as well when being pressed into the knuckle???

- amyn

Yes the outter race goes all the way in till retaining clip in the knuckle. Be careful not to press on the inner race as that will damage your bearing. Use properly sized adapters to get it in there. To press the hub into inner race do it from the retaining clip side with hub properly secure in the press. Once again use proper adapter and press only on the inner race and be careful. Check for wear on the hub before pressing it in. If nothing visible on the hub but it goes in with very little resistance good chance it's worn out. Replace it, don't use it! Worn out hub will cause, numerous problems; vibrations, clunk noise at low speed turns etc.. Not to mention, your new bearing will be toast after a bit of driving.

Back