• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

UD pulleys interest check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradness

CEG'er
I have a buddy with a CNC Machine and I'm trying to establish if there's interest in underdrive pulleys. They w/b made from aluminum billet, lighter than stock and over or under sized depending on the application. Larger for the power steering and alternator and smaller for the crank.

I'd be willing to sell them individually or as a set of 2 or 3. Pricing will depend on how many we run.

I run UD pulleys on my crank and PS and the belt size is same as stock. Cannot comment on other apps.

I'd be down for a PS and crank, but I need everything the alt can give me for my stereo :crazy:

Last edited:
Interested in PS, already have ASP crank but might be interested in yours as well depending on price.
Any difference in steering feel with the UD PS?
-J

Interested in PS, already have ASP crank but might be interested in yours as well depending on price.
Any difference in steering feel with the UD PS?
-J

The UD PS pulley takes some of lightness out of the steering. Frankly I prefer the steering feel with it vs. the overboosted feel w/out. Similiar to removing caster.

I see someone else posted that it made no difference on their car. I made my own and there's no direct comparison.

OK, let me see what kind of prices I can put together based on the number of interested parties we have here. Alternatively, for those interested in crank pulleys I have both a used UR and an ASP.

I do know that the PS pulley will be the most expensive due to the OD req'd-it needs a large diameter aluminum billet for fabricating/machining.

Very good idea to change your crank pullies! :rolleyes:
Why do you still act like you know soo much about these cars? Yet you don't own one..and anything you do know is from your brothers huge amount of efforts in his years to learn about them.

So let me school you again...young laddy....Vibrations tests have been conducted..on our cars (including our 2.5L engine/3.0L engines) have shown no visual damage while not exceeding over 6,471 rpms. At any given time. So that means you can sit at 6,400 rpms all the time and the crank does not increase vibrations any more then the stock pulley.

Most se's don't go pas 6700 rpms :shrug: Including mine. So i won't have to worry about this issue if i did install one on my se.:shrug:

So unless you rev your car daily to 7k all the time...and if you have the stock pulley i still don't recomend beating your car till 7k every time. Your increasing the chance regardless of the pulley you have on.

Do you own an svt? Do you have one of these pullies? Have you seen a car with this pulley blow an engine up?

Guys crank pulleys will help you with better mpgs...ease of passing without needing to down shift. And the power gained is def noticeable. I have an URP for 5 years....47k so far. I have zero problems and love having mine.

Vibrations tests have been conducted..on our cars (including our 2.5L engine/3.0L engines) have shown no visual damage while not exceeding over 6,471 rpms. At any given time. So that means you can sit at 6,400 rpms all the time and the crank does not increase vibrations any more then the stock pulley.

If that is the case why did Ford find it necessary to release a revised crank pulley for the Cougar's and Monedo's with the dual damper pulley? That was one of the first things I bought for my CSVT because I didn't want to have problems and with that I have decided not to replace the crank pulley on my car with an aftermarket one.

I like my crank UDP, definitely noticed a small difference, quicker revs.
I spin it close to redline almost daily and don't care---if it blows it gets a 3L :)
-J

If that is the case why did Ford find it necessary to release a revised crank pulley for the Cougar's and Monedo's with the dual dampner pulley? That was one of the first things I bought for my CSVT because I didn't want to have problems and with that I have decided not to replace the crank pulley on my car with an aftermarket one.
Because the pulley wasn't reducing vibration at 6,800+ IIRC...so they didn't even want a future problem...so they thought they might as well cover their butts.
Also...it increases e-way mpgs..as compared to the UDP..being great for city driving mpgs.

Ford redesigns multiple things for specific reasons....cheaper parts..reliable parts...updated/NEW parts etc etc.

They have a heavier crank pulley for several reasons...yes the revolutions hang much longer and wear the internal transmission parts far less. Along with the transmission shifting. It's a much smoother ride quality over all between shifts. Also a heavier pulley on the e-way...gets better mpgs.compared to city driving.(momentum force) Like the UDP you leave and rev quicker in which you return to start quicker. So overall the momentum isn't needed...like in the case of e-way driving...with a heavier crank pulley.

Why do you still act like you know soo much about these cars? Yet you don't own one..and anything you do know is from your brothers huge amount of efforts in his years to learn about them.

So let me school you again...young laddy....Vibrations tests have been conducted..on our cars (including our 2.5L engine/3.0L engines) have shown no visual damage while not exceeding over 6,471 rpms. At any given time. So that means you can sit at 6,400 rpms all the time and the crank does not increase vibrations any more then the stock pulley.

Most se's don't go pas 6700 rpms :shrug: Including mine. So i won't have to worry about this issue if i did install one on my se.:shrug:

So unless you rev your car daily to 7k all the time...and if you have the stock pulley i still don't recomend beating your car till 7k every time. Your increasing the chance regardless of the pulley you have on.

Do you own an svt? Do you have one of these pullies? Have you seen a car with this pulley blow an engine up?

Guys crank pulleys will help you with better mpgs...ease of passing without needing to down shift. And the power gained is def noticeable. I have an URP for 5 years....47k so far. I have zero problems and love having mine.

I don't own one? I've probably owned more contours then you've owned matchbox cars.

I think you are the one acting like you know so much, yet you don't know anything ;)

So go school your grandmother, not me

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is the case why did Ford find it necessary to release a revised crank pulley for the Cougar's and Monedo's with the dual dampner pulley? That was one of the first things I bought for my CSVT because I didn't want to have problems and with that I have decided not to replace the crank pulley on my car with an aftermarket one.

Don't argue with him, he knows his :censored::censored::censored::censored:, and will school everybody on CEG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back