• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TZT Performance Rear Toe Arms

TZT Performance Rear Toe Arms

• Heim joint at both ends

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Heim joint outer, solid end with bushing inner

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

striker2

Official CEG Vendor
this thread is to determine which style of arms you guys would prefer. the arms are aluminum tube with either a teflon lined, 2 piece, high load heim at both ends, or the heim at only the outer end with a solid poly bushed end at the inner end. Pricing is the same for both and is tentatively going to be set at $160 plus shipping. Currently they will reuse the stock bolts although im looking into providing new hardware for only a few extra dollars.

The last picture shows the 2 different ends that you guys will be voting on. there really wont be any difference between them as far as install or drivability is concerned, including NVH (although the bushing will be ever so slightly quieter but not enough to really notice)

SSPX0552.jpg

SSPX0553.jpg

SSPX0554.jpg

i made my own basically the exact same thing as this. the only thing i added was bushings because i suspected a little clunking from the turning on the joints. way better than those tin oem arms. the bushing is the way to go.

current results are 10/21/9 (including numbers from NECO) so its looking like most of you guys would prefer to have the bushed end for the inner joint.

current results are 10/21/9 (including numbers from NECO) so its looking like most of you guys would prefer to have the bushed end for the inner joint.

I'm confused about every attempt to do these toe arms with those rigid heim joints. The passive rear wheel steering design in the Contours depends on having flexible bushings. By going with the rigid heim joints, you are defeating one of the inherent designs in this car that Ford actually did right.

I'm confused about every attempt to do these toe arms with those rigid heim joints. The passive rear wheel steering design in the Contours depends on having flexible bushings. By going with the rigid heim joints, you are defeating one of the inherent designs in this car that Ford actually did right.

the passive rear steering is done by the trailing arms, not the toe arms. the trailing arms are the ones that run from the knuckle forward.

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer to have the urethane bushing on both ends. Would that be an option?

Just curious, other than perhaps to get the heim ball width similar to the urethane bushing width, is there a reason for the high-misalignment heim joints?

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer to have the urethane bushing on both ends. Would that be an option?
urethane bushings do not do well in a single shear application, such as the outer joint. that said, I could do them on an as requested basis but you would be running them at your own risk.

Just curious, other than perhaps to get the heim ball width similar to the urethane bushing width, is there a reason for the high-misalignment heim joints?

price actually. its cheaper to use the high-misalignment heims (which also have a higher load rating) than it is to use a standard heim with spacers.

urethane bushings do not do well in a single shear application, such as the outer joint. that said, I could do them on an as requested basis but you would be running them at your own risk.

I appreciate the reply. I'd run a large diameter catch washer on the bushing to capture it in case of failure, even OEM's do this with bonded rubber bushings in single shear. Hell, I'd run a catch washer on a heim in single shear too, but that's from my ultra paranoid racing background when it concerns mission critical suspension bits.

Nice looking product, I'll probably buy a set.

Thanks.

well i was going to order a set of these from massive this week but if yours will be ready to go soon i would consider them. pm me both my arms are bent and i want them corrected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back