• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

turbo'd contour launch techniques

i'm gonna try shifting really quickly from 1st to 3rd, and not letting my rpm needle gets past 4500 in the process. i'm also gonna try focusing more on my guages instead of looking at the other car or feeling out my car. that should gimmie the discipline i need to get to speed quicker.

You have to spend countless hours working with the clutch and rpms. Try leaving watching the rpms by slight pressing the pedal down. Try reading your pedal depth, 1/8th throttle, 1/4 1/3 etc etc.

So... tomorrow spend the day leaving the light with nothing more than 2k rpms. Try all different throttle positions. Then work yourself up to 3K seeing what pedal depth will work best. Of course night time will be different than day time so you must memorize these needs for the best way to harness your power.

If it makes you jealous....i launch at 4-4.5K :)

dang. do i really wanna spend a grand more to the insane amounts of money i've spent on this car?:ponder:. i dunno... to be able to shave off a sec plus off the quarter sounds quite tempting...

I agree, I may buy one when I get my double salary check in January

Instead of doing the $1000 boost controller why hasn't anyone tried the Turbosmart EBoost2? That is an awesome boost controller and allows you to control how much boost each gear etc.

Aaron

because that one (IIRC) is mapped by gear, or RPM..

the one that Burrita spec'd (and the one I am trying to build myself) are mapped by LOAD or SPEED.

RPM mapping is useless.. You set it for max boost at upper rpms and it still gives max boost when you rip to the top of 1st and 2nd.

Go by GEAR and its gotta be knocked down to a docile number when in first (which could actually be a higher boost during the lower part of that gear)

Mapping by speed or load would be ideal.

because that one (IIRC) is mapped by gear, or RPM..

the one that Burrita spec'd (and the one I am trying to build myself) are mapped by LOAD or SPEED.

RPM mapping is useless.. You set it for max boost at upper rpms and it still gives max boost when you rip to the top of 1st and 2nd.

Go by GEAR and its gotta be knocked down to a docile number when in first (which could actually be a higher boost during the lower part of that gear)

Mapping by speed or load would be ideal.

Ah I see, thank you for clearing that up Ray :cool:.

Aaron

I'm running the stock spring right now as well, and holding 8 pounds. I have not dropped the clutch on mine as my tranny is all stock. I have a new clutch, but mine has not broke traction yet. I was playing with a co-worker today who has a Spec-V. I got on it pretty hard from a dead stop. It didn't spin, but kinds smeared a bit. I felt the front slide to the left about 6 inches and then it went. My turbo spools super quick. The guy who originally ordered the kit, wanted it that way. I bought an ebay manual boost controller, and plan to turn up the boost to 10#. After talking to Joey, I should be somewhere in the ballpark of 255ish to the wheels. He thinks I should be 280ish or better at 10. Due to my stock tranny, I take off about 2k-2500 and mash on it once it's under way. I'm kinda jealous of the 3L's running 14# pulling the wheel out of your hand in 3rd gear.

Rod

I'm kinda jealous of the 3L's running 14# pulling the wheel out of your hand in 3rd gear.

Rod

Don't be jealous... it hurts when you have a finger in there the wrong way and it gets bent backward.

Besides, 255 is a very strong number.. its powerful, quick and more than enough to get you in to any trouble you want! Be happy!

I'm running the stock spring right now as well, and holding 8 pounds. I have not dropped the clutch on mine as my tranny is all stock. I have a new clutch, but mine has not broke traction yet. I was playing with a co-worker today who has a Spec-V. I got on it pretty hard from a dead stop. It didn't spin, but kinds smeared a bit. I felt the front slide to the left about 6 inches and then it went. My turbo spools super quick. The guy who originally ordered the kit, wanted it that way. I bought an ebay manual boost controller, and plan to turn up the boost to 10#. After talking to Joey, I should be somewhere in the ballpark of 255ish to the wheels. He thinks I should be 280ish or better at 10. Due to my stock tranny, I take off about 2k-2500 and mash on it once it's under way. I'm kinda jealous of the 3L's running 14# pulling the wheel out of your hand in 3rd gear.

Rod

Don't be jealous... it hurts when you have a finger in there the wrong way and it gets bent backward.

Besides, 255 is a very strong number.. its powerful, quick and more than enough to get you in to any trouble you want! Be happy!

ray's right. 255 is a VERY respectable number. interesting tho... from a dead stop, if u got on it pretty hard, u should spin. 255whp with perfect takeoff will get u in the 13s.

Be careful, you'll get a sprain! I'm going to install the boost controller Thursday. I really want to see what 10# feels like. Joey said that is when they start becoming a handful. Don't get me wrong 5# is enough to make you fall in love with your car all over. I'm running around now at 8, and it is alot of fun! I love how the turbo gives you a passing gear on the highway..without downshifting!

Rod

I did it a few hours after a rain and went through 1-3rd. I have HEAVY 18's and Yoko AVS es 100's. They are pretty grippy on dry pavement. The front ones are new this summer. I'm real gunshy about breaking the drivetrain. I guess I'm expecting it to break traction from a roll. This may be me watching to many 14# videos ;)
I'm going to up the boost to 10# and see what happens. Joey said a Cougar guy with a 2.5 spiked at 11.5# on the dyno and made 298 whp. That should roast the hides!

Rod

A 3L at 14#, you're looking to spin through allllllll of first and second no matter when in the rpm band you nail it. 3rd will spin as well if you give it ANY help (water, cold temps, or spinning already from 2nd)

Having the car spin on you in 3rd going down the freeway is a scary feeling. There is LITERALLY more power on tap than you can do anything with.

At 255-275 you should be roasting most things that come along!!!

Back