• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo 3L's - Who still has/had secondaries?

SHOgoFast

Hard-core CEG'er
As the title states...who has maintained their secondaries on the 3L Turbos. I still have mine but am considering removing them with this build. Seems that they cause tuning issues at the RPM range that they are to open.

Any pros cons from the veterans around here? I know the typical responses regarding low end tq and such. But, being a 3L and turbo'd is it that big of a deal?

The hogged lim post by tricker is what promped this.

take them out shogofast. i used the plates you gave me on mine still. secondaries on a boosted car is insane think about it. you wanna try to block air that you intentionally force into the intake? kinda hypocritical if you ask me. gut em! keep in mind you gotta tune the IMRC values out of the tune or the car will pull timing. you should also weld the holes (at least jb weld) between the ports, where the shaft went through, and on the end where the IMRC linkages hooked up. :)

a good tuner should have no problem integrating them into a turbo application... but why? you don't any longer rely on the plenum design to improve flow, you are forcing air. you need the plenum volume, to move more air. if i were you, i'd hog out a 3L split port manifold, and gut the secondaries.

still got em on mine.

only time I don't like it is when I am on the highway. If I am at 3k rpm the turbo will kick right in when I floor it and then I can feel the secondaries openning.

otherwise they open before the turbo spools up and kick in from a dead stop.

I dont have them, but I went full oval so it wasnt an option. Honestly I could stand to have more low end tourqe. Why not install them, than take them out if you dont like it later?

I dont have them, but I went full oval so it wasnt an option. Honestly I could stand to have more low end tourqe. Why not install them, than take them out if you dont like it later?

problem with that is you have to port the heads to use the split port lim with secondaries, no going back after that.

Oh I dont plan on going back. Definitly not going to port match. Heads are already ported and polished.

Damnit, I am so on the fence about this.

I think I will keep them as the tune file I have currently is with secondaries. Then maybe, if I feel like ripping it apart again I will gut them and get re-tuned.

But I can say the same about a car WITH them..

Whether or not a car without them makes "enough" torque to not notice pulling them out isn't an issue.. with FI, and tuning abilities, you can always overcome that much..

I certainly wouldn't say that LEAVING them hurts at all. Its all in the driver's preference and driving style.. if you drag often, then you may choose other things than if you're just in it for highway fun.. etc, etc.

Back