• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

top speed of a 3L hybrid with headers and no cats? (on a track of course)

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
so lets just say im at a race track what do you think i could hit in my 98 with a 22k hybrid, msds headers, no cats, and a cherry bomb, as well as an intake and 17" rims?

the "previous time" i went to the track i went before i removed the cats and did the cherrybomb and i hit 140mph, with plenty left. i estimated slighty over 150mph as my top speed but the where other "race cars" in front of me so i had to slow down. but with my new exhaust setup its definetly got more top end HP it gets over 80 much faster on the track.

so what do you guys think i could hit for a max speed on the track. BTW i do not intend to go this fast ever, and if i thought about it it would be on a closed track just like my high speed instances mentioned before.

so what track did you go to? the car is drag limited to 143 so if you speedo is accurate your not going to go much faster then that ....

so what track did you go to? the car is drag limited to 143 so if you speedo is accurate your not going to go much faster then that ....

umm with a tune I'm sure you can remove the speed limiter, unless your talking about drag as in wind resistance. but Ive seen vids of a contour going 160. not saying his speedo is correct thats just what it said.

Don't know about a 3.0L there is a guy in over here who has been keeping us posted on fitting one in an ST24 but he hasn't got round to any performance figures yet. There is an ST200 in our branch of the FMOC, that has recently had the head gaskets fixed and a bit of extra flowing was done on the heads, a free flow cat back system fitted while it was apart. When it was on the rolling road to do a remap he took a photo of the instruments and it was showing 158mph at 6,600 revs

the track is not whats important here.... and i plan on tuning the car within 3 months, i jsut got a job at clair acura in norwood as a lube tech so money will be flowing soon!

The track is important because there are very few tracks that will let an SVT reach its top speed. Your exit speeds will play a huge role.

That is unless this is a fictitious ;) track at which point you'd be breaking the rules....

That limited speed was with the SVT engine as the power source, with the 3 litre, the speed will be higher.

um no .... drag limit deals with the body and how air flows over it, not the power of the engine. you could have all the power in the world and once you hit the drag limit your not going to go any fast .... the body of the car can only displace so much air so fast ... there is a limit that is reached ... just like terminal velocity for something falling .... the drag of the object falling through the air controls how fast it will go ...

i know someone that was on a road course where they had a very long straight and got a tour to a gps confirmed 173mph, but from what i also heard, "the sunroof began to open itself, and the body started to make weird noises so i had to let off"

um no .... drag limit deals with the body and how air flows over it, not the power of the engine. ...

I disagree. The Contour has a pretty low drag number. It's not like a bus.
A more powerfull engine will pull it to a higher top speed.

um no .... drag limit deals with the body and how air flows over it, not the power of the engine. you could have all the power in the world and once you hit the drag limit your not going to go any fast .... the body of the car can only displace so much air so fast ... there is a limit that is reached ... just like terminal velocity for something falling .... the drag of the object falling through the air controls how fast it will go ...

This is not the same thing as terminal velocity here. The posted drag limit was achieved with stock 200HP engine because the car could not go any faster due to wind resistance AT that power level. So adding another 40HP you should be able to break into the 150mph range.
When they said drag limited they only meant that they were power limited at that point due to wind resistance and not RPM limited as would be the case if the car could max out 5th gear.

The faster you're going, the more power you need to get to the next mph. There was an interesting site that listed drag coef of a bunch of cars. I was mildly entertained when I read that the Contour is much more aerodynamic than the Viper... then again most non-sports cars were too. :laugh:

But that doesn't determine the absolute fastest any given body style can go. Adding power will allow it to go faster.

The added power to overcome the drag is not linear. It takes large increases in power. I will make a SWAG (simple wild-a** guess) that you can get a 3.0 powered Contour, built right, and in good tune, to hit 150 MPH. Higher than that will need forced induction. But that's just a SWAG.

Huh - I've got a Taurus PCM setup for a 3L with a top speed limited @ 200mph - just a rough tune to get it to run :cool:

Couldn't one find out the absolute top speed just be using the gear ratio's in the transmission? That is the absolute limiting factor - no HP. When you get tuned, they almost always "adjust" the top speed being it is as easy as editing a text box...

Huh - I've got a Taurus PCM setup for a 3L with a top speed limited @ 200mph - just a rough tune to get it to run :cool:

Couldn't one find out the absolute top speed just be using the gear ratio's in the transmission? That is the absolute limiting factor - no HP. When you get tuned, they almost always "adjust" the top speed being it is as easy as editing a text box...

Only true if you are rpm limited in 5th gear and have plenty of power if you had more rpms available. Then its a simple matter of raising the rev limit or removing it and allowing the car to run till it throws a rod... :D

Back