• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

timing belt

stoltz

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hello all, When should i change the timing belt on my daughters contour. 95,000 mi. 99 lx.

any time you like. its a non-interference engine. so you can repalce it now or wait for it to break. however the belts in these engine typically don't wear much. you have to worry about the plastic pulleys.

most of the time it should be done at 60k. iirc ford said 100k. so its when ever you would like to change it.

actually lets back up a second. its a zetec right?

that last sentence made me chuckle thank brapple.

glad I could make you laugh then :shrug:

:laugh:

did the 99 lx only come with a zetec? I don't recall right now. and this might not be the first time someone thought that the duratec has a timing belt, or was told it had a timing belt....

MSN says it came with the zetec but it may of had the option for the V6(which i think it did)

LX, in 99, I believe was Zetec standard, with V6 option, because they had dropped the GL. SE was V6 standard...for pre98's, the LX was V6 standard I believe.

the oval on the side of my zetec says se :shrug:. thats the only proof of it being an SE i have though.

I just said V6 was standard in the SE. You could always downgrade to the I4 for no cost I'd assume...

well you would have gotten the difference back ....

like my mystique, you would figure the LS, which is the high trim model would have come standard with a duratec, but mine has the zetec ....

i know i have to replace mine soon, it's slapping the timing belt cover, the tension pully went out but with the damage its suffered is convincing me to "REPLACE"

it sounds like i have a bird under my hood flapping around.

is this comon on old zetecs? mine never does that

yup it was common on the earlier ones. remember reading about it all the time back around 2002 when I joined the site.

I even think the newer cover was revised to help stop the belt from slapping the cover, but I am not positive on that.

LX, in 99, I believe was Zetec standard, with V6 option, because they had dropped the GL. SE was V6 standard...for pre98's, the LX was V6 standard I believe.
I have a 95 lx which is zetec, i think the pre98 v6 was only standerd in the se.
any time you like. its a non-interference engine. so you can repalce it now or wait for it to break. however the belts in these engine typically don't wear much. you have to worry about the plastic pulleys.

most of the time it should be done at 60k. iirc ford said 100k. so its when ever you would like to change it.

is this on all zetecs??? of just 98s and up? is my 95 zetec a "non-interference" engine? cause my timing belt broke and i was gonna buy a it on ebay and fix it, but i assumed it prolly messed up something else when it broke.

I have a 95 lx which is zetec, i think the pre98 v6 was only standerd in the se.

is this on all zetecs??? of just 98s and up? is my 95 zetec a "non-interference" engine? cause my timing belt broke and i was gonna buy a it on ebay and fix it, but i assumed it prolly messed up something else when it broke.

pretty sure all zetec are non interference. if you look up the service interval it isn't even listed ...

actually I think it may have been standard on the LX also but I am not sure. it was definately an option on the GL.

all(ok maybe stoked zetecs arent) zetecs are non interference, granting that something internal(connecting rod or piston wrist pin) doesnt break.

all(ok maybe stoked zetecs arent) zetecs are non interference, granting that something internal(connecting rod or piston wrist pin) doesnt break.

^^^^

What he said. And don't hold your breath while you're looking for that mythical zetec engine that was damaged by a broken t-belt. It's bound to be mentioned, as happens every time this topic is discussed, but it never existed except in someone's mind.

^^^^

What he said. And don't hold your breath while you're looking for that mythical zetec engine that was damaged by a broken t-belt. It's bound to be mentioned, as happens every time this topic is discussed, but it never existed except in someone's mind.

im kinda glad i didnt know this when it broke, or else i might not have bought my svt (i was kinda just looking for an excuse to buy it haha)

the only reason im skeptical is because my mechanic wouldnt touch it, and said to take it to the local ford dealer, and they said $700, at that price i assumed it damaged something else when it snapped...

so you guys are saying you i should prolly buy the $80 timing belt kit off of ebay and do it myself instead of paying the dealership $700 to fix it, or buying another car?? =D

Back