• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Overheated with blown head gasket

Rick92008

New CEG'er
I was my driving my 99 V6 5 speed contour (99K miles) on the interstate a couple of weeks ago and started overheating. it got hot pretty quick & by the time I got to the end of the next offramp the engine shutdown & started blowing steam. I was a couple blocks from a Ford dealership, so I had it towed there to check. The water pump failed & it blew a head gasket. The mechanic didn't think it had damaged anything else, but wouldn't guarantee any repairs. They really didn't want to bother with the repairs, just wanted me to buy a new Ford.

Anyone know the approximate cost to replace head gaskets & water pump somewhere besides a Ford stealership? It's not something I want to attempt myself.

Is it even worth paying the money or is the engine going to have a lot more problems after overheating enough to blow a head gasket?

Thanks

With the resale value of these cars, if you don't fix it youself, some people would just junk the car.
If the body /interior are in good shape and you like the car it is worth fixing. You are looking at approx. $2000. for a labor and parts.
My waterpump broke leading to bad head gaskets. I had to replace them years after the overheat event. I only drove for a few minutes in the red zone. I replaced them myself its a big job.. Good luck.

Change the thermostat and water pump first and see if it is still driveable.

Change the thermostat and water pump first and see if it is still driveable.

The Ford repair shop told me the compression was way down in one of the cylinders, so they thought one of the head gaskets was blown.

Thanks for the feed back. $2k for repairs is just about what these cars are selling for around here. So I might just try to sell it "as is" for what ever I can get.

Back