• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The "Why I need to stop procrastinating" thread.

Hope it works. **fingers crossed**
Keep us posted.

The mechanic that put the Alt. in said he'll do the wire fix for me tomorrow free of charge. He said it's getting a power surge because of resistence in the system. Which is why my **** pulsates.

Well....
You did leave that one wide open. I mean, come on, your **** is pulsating? That's damn funny.
Phil is bad. ;)

My guess is it's either the internal voltage regulator or a bad ground.

what is exactly happening?

I had an issue with a new alternator that when I got above 3k rpm the lights would flicker, as would my voltage gage ... pretty sure the diodes where not working correctly ... in this case the wiring fix will not do anything

what is exactly happening?

I had an issue with a new alternator that when I got above 3k rpm the lights would flicker, as would my voltage gage ... pretty sure the diodes where not working correctly ... in this case the wiring fix will not do anything

I got the Alt tested yesterday, and the Alt is charging the system fine. They Diodes are working fine too. I'm getting surges in the system however which leaves me to believe I have too much resistence in the system. As soon as it has a load, anything above idle, the system surges. All accessories, except the radio, pulsate. I'm going to try the wire fix because it's cheap and easy. I'd rather do the cheap and easy one first instead of the Alt all over again. If this doesn't work, then I'll worry about the Alt.

I got the Alt tested yesterday, and the Alt is charging the system fine. They Diodes are working fine too. I'm getting surges in the system however which leaves me to believe I have too much resistence in the system. As soon as it has a load, anything above idle, the system surges. All accessories, except the radio, pulsate. I'm going to try the wire fix because it's cheap and easy. I'd rather do the cheap and easy one first instead of the Alt all over again. If this doesn't work, then I'll worry about the Alt.

well that sounds like what my car was doing, I would really suggest getting a shop manual and testing ... more then possitiv ethe wiring fix will not do anything for you, but who knows

Oh and I might add that my radio gives me a voltage read out. It jumps around from 13.7 to 15.2. That's the lowest and highest I've watched the guage read. It usually bounces around in the 14's though.

Oh and I might add that my radio gives me a voltage read out. It jumps around from 13.7 to 15.2. That's the lowest and highest I've watched the guage read. It usually bounces around in the 14's though.

my voltage gage showed me the same thing when my started to flicker, could see it in all of the lights, it was a very fast osilation between 14 and 14.7 volts, at idle the alternator put out a perfect 14.7 volts on the gage

edit: I know it was the alternator because the one I took out didn't do that, only started when I put the new, and I do mean new one in, no reman here ...

Well, I'm going to try the fix first...and if that doesn't help, then I guess I need to take a few steps back and curse at the car for a few minutes.

Then ponder about getting the Alt checked out again.

If the mechanic has your car today to do the wire fix he should do some testing. If it is the alternator then he can help you with getting another new one.

Hahaha, I see you quoted me. ;)

If the mechanic has your car today to do the wire fix he should do some testing. If it is the alternator then he can help you with getting another new one.

Hahaha, I see you quoted me. ;)

Well, first I have to get a refund and get my old battery back from Advance Auto. I bought a new battery out of desperation to see if it would help, and they said if it doesn't, just stop by and they'll swap mine back in. So I have to go get my $80 back. Then over to the shop to get the wire fix done. Then I'll go from there.

Back