• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The 'Tour... A Lost Cause?

They're more like "at a really good friend's home".. comfortable enough to let loose but not enough to walk around naked.

:)

to compare the two seems like a moot point were talking 8 to ten years different i would hope technology has advanced enought to put better more hp engines in these 07 and 08 cars and if you really want to make a point anyone with a nicely modded svt has only upgraded them to the average that most higher end sti's evo's are at today

to compare the two seems like a moot point were talking 8 to ten years different i would hope technology has advanced enought to put better more hp engines in these 07 and 08 cars and if you really want to make a point anyone with a nicely modded svt has only upgraded them to the average that most higher end sti's evo's are at today

this is probably the most sense anyone has made on this topic. a 300whp FWD 1998 tour is just about par with a 250whp 4wd 07/08 subie or evo. auto technology has come very far ppl! thats 10yrs! take for example the new gtr. that car has about 400odd horses, yet it would literally hand the z06 and viper their tooshes in the quarter mile and on a road course. thats what technology can do to a car. i'm sick n tired of hearing "blah blah blah. an STI is faster than a tour." it sure as heck better be.

A lost cause? I dunno. The Contour is an excellent choice for grown ups, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily right for you. .

speak for yourselves on all the losing anyways.... ive beat a lot of "fast cars"

anyways, quit hyping up the WRX. they don't make near as much power as similar cars I.E. evos, GSX, and the like. the boxer engines are sweet but not many people are making huge dyno numbers with them. low 500's is the most i've seen.... where as there are 800HP evos out there. either way.... the contour is way cooler than all of them, because you don't see them every three minutes.

A boost controller like that AMS-1000 isn't even necessary. You can get a turbosmart electronic boost controller that would be plenty for 4-500 bucks instead of 850.

As for the whole turbo 3L contour being fast from a roll. Of course it is... it's got 350-400hp and the wheels. I would hope it can spank an STI that puts down 250 at the wheels.

However, the 07 STI's will run 11's in the 1/4 with just a tune and some minor parts. Different ball games.

Although the WRX's aren't even really "drag" cars. They are much more at home on the road course.

I disagree you need to have a pressure on the backside of the wastegate so you can run a light spring like 3.25 psi and this system comes with the setup and also has the best ramping on the market not just rpms and gear but power and load.

I'll say this much- My friend has a 2002 bugeye WRX with a turbo-back exhaust, COBB accessport engine management/tuning, upgraded BOV, and an intake. I let him drive my car, and he is convinced that my 3L is faster. I've ridden in his WRX and while it definitely wasn't slow, it wasn't nearly as impressive as I expected. Now, a newer STI or a modded STI, yeah the Contour wouldn't stand a chance, but come on, it's an 8-10 year old CONTOUR, not a Camaro SS.

I disagree with the contour being a lost cause. I may never take mine to a drag strip, but I am already entered into the rallycross national championship. If I loose that, it has very little to do with the car. A 3 liter engine and a true LSD could help out though. Almost every contour here is very much a street car. Some are quite a bit faster than stock form, but they are still not race prepped. I think that the contour is a good budget race car platform. Just look how sucessful the mondeo was in the btcc. If someone wants a contour that can achive a fast drag time, it can be done. It can just be done for much less money in many other cars.

I want to know why people compare FWD cars to AWD cars when it comes to racing. At the strip, any dickbag with two feet can get a good 60ft in an AWD car, which will equal faster ET's compared to a FWD car with similar power & weight. Consequently, stoplight-to-stoplight = win for AWD in almost all circumstances. If this is the type of thing that you are concerned with, then by all means, get yourself something that's AWD and be done with it.

To put it nicely. People want want want. They never want to work for it.

See i don't mind starting off last in a race. Because it becomes a challenge for me to catch up to the big dogs. It's a challenge and a great learning experince!!!

Not to say i would never buy a expensive fast car in my life.

True, true. It's just stupid-annoying when people get so caught up in numbers or times that common sense is no longer a part of their thought-process. :nonono:

another good point! that makes two in one thread. wow i'm impressed CEG:). at some point, i figured many would start to worry less about numbers and just enjoy their ride.

These cars are very competent in crappy weather. They can be fast also. A fine family daily driver (ok, the poly mounts are harsh to some people) that you can race on weekends. What's not to like? OK, I don't beat all the new fast cars... But it is still fun at the drags, RWD v8 owners often can't fathom they've lost to an NA 2.5L.

Back