• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The $10,000 Car Thread, 'Cause I Need It

I like this more than that Focus. Sorry.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/926142885.html

:drool::drool:

I almost bought a 2000 (?) XJR when I shopping around for a car after the Lexus. 1 owner, Florida car, black on black, mint. I came so close to pullin the trigger, but I just couldn't see myself cruising around in a boat like that. It just wasn't me.

But man do those cars haul ass and handle like a dream! :drool: I never wanted to get out.

Focus's are not bad cars...my friend had one and he liked it....it just kept breaking down on him. And it had like 62k on it. Ive had 2 cars that are around $10k And paid for both. The first was a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd. That car was fun...real quick. I paid $9500 and it had 80k but that was 3 years ago. you could prob pick up a 2002-2003 with the VQ35 and a 6speed...which is reallly quick my friend has one and damn that thing moves. I also have a 2004 Honda Element that i paid $13600 for about 2 years ago. I baught it with 63k and now it has 93k. Not one problem in the time ive had it. Ive raced it at the track. Done launches from 4000rpm. you name it. thing is reliable as hell. My opinion. Pick up something foreign. Subarus are great but expensive. Hondas are awsome and will go for 250k. They get great gas mileage and hell you can make them fast for very little money. Nissans are great. You just half to keep up on them. The VQ motor ( in every maxima) has been on Ward's 10 Best engines list since its intro in 1995. This would be my choice. I love my maxima and i can tell you from experience i would buy one again in a heartbeat. Plus youll roast any stock focus with this car....stock!!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ransmission=Manual&max_price=13000&cardist=35

I like this more than that Focus. Sorry.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/926142885.html

I like the insurance on the Focus alot better... Sorry

BTW, for those who think I'm a spoiled brat, I'm paying upwards of $100 a month to drive this car.

It's amazing how many people have told me this car is slow, uncool, pathetic, etc... Even my close friends. I'm friggen pissed off, especially since I'm nothing but excited for anyone around me when they get a new car. Sheesh, I can't do anything without people telling me I suck, even if people someone else does the same thing, and get praised. I don't care about other people, I just would have expected more from people, especially my friends.

/rant

The VQ motor ( in every maxima) has been on Ward's 10 Best engines list since its intro in 1995. This would be my choice. I love my maxima and i can tell you from experience i would buy one again in a heartbeat. Plus youll roast any stock focus with this car....stock!!
Maybe I just got bad luck, but the repairs on my fully-optioned 2000 SE 5spd were extremely expensive. I only had five issues with the car in 50k miles, but they were all major.
-A/C compressor seized up ($1k)
-new cat (covered under fed warranty, but would be expensive)
-three ignition coils ($350-400 in parts)
-front suspension work ($1k but in retrospect I should have gone aftermarket)
-The scariest: front subframe/lower radiator support completely rusted out, the lower engine mount completely disconnected and the engine was bouncing around in the bay. That was $1209 at a bodyshop.
- rust spots started forming on hood, rocker panels, etc

Loved the car, beautiful luxury highway boat with surprising agility, I went for long drives purely for fun in that car, and everything else worked perfectly (even the clutch was strong at 114k miles). But I would only wholeheartedly recommend it if you had easy access to tools and knew your way around a car.

It's amazing how many people have told me this car is slow, uncool, pathetic, etc... Even my close friends. I'm friggen pissed off, especially since I'm nothing but excited for anyone around me when they get a new car. Sheesh, I can't do anything without people telling me I suck, even if people someone else does the same thing, and get praised. I don't care about other people, I just would have expected more from people, especially my friends.

/rant

Remember.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one. And they all stink.

Go with the Focus and enjoy it. If aftermarket is your thing, you've got a ton of options. The focaljet forums (if you haven't been there) are pretty decent. Definitely check that site out if you've got questions about the car, platform, etc.

People looked at me funny when I bought a second Contour. *shrug*

It's your car... who cares what anyone else thinks? Just remind your friends of their opinions when they're asking you for a ride.

Just remind your friends of their opinions when they're asking you for a ride.

i pissed off a lot of people in high school when i was one of the first in my grade to start driving. they all made fun of the fact that i owned an El Camino, and i made sure they remembered that when they asked for a ride.

Focus's are not bad cars...my friend had one and he liked it....it just kept breaking down on him. And it had like 62k on it. Ive had 2 cars that are around $10k And paid for both. The first was a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd. That car was fun...real quick. I paid $9500 and it had 80k but that was 3 years ago. you could prob pick up a 2002-2003 with the VQ35 and a 6speed...which is reallly quick my friend has one and damn that thing moves. I also have a 2004 Honda Element that i paid $13600 for about 2 years ago. I baught it with 63k and now it has 93k. Not one problem in the time ive had it. Ive raced it at the track. Done launches from 4000rpm. you name it. thing is reliable as hell. My opinion. Pick up something foreign. Subarus are great but expensive. Hondas are awsome and will go for 250k. They get great gas mileage and hell you can make them fast for very little money. Nissans are great. You just half to keep up on them. The VQ motor ( in every maxima) has been on Ward's 10 Best engines list since its intro in 1995. This would be my choice. I love my maxima and i can tell you from experience i would buy one again in a heartbeat. Plus youll roast any stock focus with this car....stock!!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ransmission=Manual&max_price=13000&cardist=35

The Maxima ain't bad, but the rest of the stuff in that list are snoreboxes.

Maybe you'd get some use out of this:

carolina-rice.jpg

I like the insurance on the Focus alot better... Sorry

BTW, for those who think I'm a spoiled brat, I'm paying upwards of $100 a month to drive this car.

/rant

IIRC, you asked for suggestions and we obliged. I admit it was somewhat of a joke as your insurance rates would be as well. I could be wrong in my comprehension, but did anyone say Foci suck? It will be a very practical vehicle for you for many years. Congrats.

IIRC, you asked for suggestions and we obliged. I admit it was somewhat of a joke as your insurance rates would be as well. I could be wrong in my comprehension, but did anyone say Foci suck? It will be a very practical vehicle for you for many years. Congrats.

I think he was ranting. It sounded like his off line peers were razzing him.

Maybe I just got bad luck, but the repairs on my fully-optioned 2000 SE 5spd were extremely expensive. I only had five issues with the car in 50k miles, but they were all major.
-A/C compressor seized up ($1k)
-new cat (covered under fed warranty, but would be expensive)
-three ignition coils ($350-400 in parts)
-front suspension work ($1k but in retrospect I should have gone aftermarket)
-The scariest: front subframe/lower radiator support completely rusted out, the lower engine mount completely disconnected and the engine was bouncing around in the bay. That was $1209 at a bodyshop.
- rust spots started forming on hood, rocker panels, etc

Loved the car, beautiful luxury highway boat with surprising agility, I went for long drives purely for fun in that car, and everything else worked perfectly (even the clutch was strong at 114k miles). But I would only wholeheartedly recommend it if you had easy access to tools and knew your way around a car.

Sounds like you got a lemon. I was working at a dealership that picked up a 95 Maxima with 250k all they did to it was an oil change and they had to fix the rad support which is a problem area on maximas. Usually you can catch it before 150k and just sand it and spray some good primer on there. Mine never skipped a beat. Original clutch when i baught it and still grabbed at the floor.

Nothing of the sort. You people have been great. And my insurance is only $500 a year more than when I was driving a 12-year-old Contour Zetec, all of which I am paying, and then some.
I think he was ranting. It sounded like his off line peers were razzing him.
yup.

BTW, I LOVE THIS CAR:drool:

Fgured I'd put some pixes up here.... Not bad for 10K if you ask me. Especially for the LP... I'm one of less than 1000 with my color.

SDC10003.jpg

SDC10002.jpg

Just my own opinion on FSVT's...

Just my own opinion on FSVT's...

Having owned one with EVERY option you could buy (EAP with HID's standard), when it was totalled, the settlement I got for it was 10k, and that was with 70k on a 2004 model.

What you HAVE to get is an Xcal or Predator tuner....just downloading the 93 Octane tune REALLY wakes up those cars and gets rid of the goofiness with the throttle hang/part throttle issue(s) they have. It also took me awhile to get used to just driving it...you REALLY had to ride the clutch to keep it from stalling- the SCT tune took care of that as well. I had the 93 Octane tune, a MagnaFlow exhaust and a CAI and I was knocking down 30+ MPG regularly....which was fantastic considering the cost of 93 Octane about a year ago!

You should really buy one of Elky's cars...before my son does;)

they are both still sitting there....
the black one is begging to be removed from my backyard....
:)

Back