• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The $10,000 Car Thread, 'Cause I Need It

I love not having to use a key on our Mazda.
It's excellent happy funtime

Spoiled brat.

I love how simple my car is. The only thing I *might* want is power windows. Pushbutton start, reverse camera, what the crap? I want to be in full control of my vehicle, not any of this automated bullcrap!

I, too, do not understand the point of pushbutton ignition, and vastly prefer a key. However, I think the starship tagline is a winner, and creates excitment about the car. I think the car's a winner, too. :cool:

A push button ignition increases the "cool" factor of a car by a factor of at least 10. Is it really useful at all? No.

But they're pretty damn cool. I've thought about installing one in my car, but the 12v plug it takes up is used for our GPS... which we use often enough to warrant such a concern.

what i don't get are teh vehicles with push button ignition that still require you to stick a key or fob type thing into an 'ignition' spot.

insert fob
reach for start button
press start button

blah

insert key
turn
much better

what i don't get are teh vehicles with push button ignition that still require you to stick a key or fob type thing into an 'ignition' spot.

insert fob
reach for start button
press start button

blah

insert key
turn
much better

Remember, it isn't about functionality it is about the cool factor.

insert fob
reach for start button
press start button

blah

insert key
turn
much better

Yeah, I'd hate a push button start that still needed something inserted. I think some cars only require the key fob in range though. You can just keep it on a key chain in your pocket and hit start. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, I'd hate a push button start that still needed something inserted. I think some cars only require the key fob in range though. You can just keep it on a key chain in your pocket and hit start. I could be wrong though.

Caddy XLR is like that. The key is like a PAN/prox card. No regular key needed to open the doors or start the car. As long as you're within a few inches of the car, you're good to go.

wait the garmin nuvi can't be hardwired? I would just get another power adaptor so there is one for both cars and call it good to go. move as needed.

It'd take more cutting and wiring than I'd want to do.

I've got my eye on the Alpine IVA-W505 and Blackbird combo for the Mustang, anyway. Best of all worlds. ;)

insert fob
reach for start button
press start button

blah

insert key
turn
much better

This man speaks the truth!

I believe Toyota has the asinine fob, reach, button setup. All that fuss, and for what? To start a Toyota? Groan. I'd just go back in the house.

...And get my Ford keys! :cool:

You're wrong. Toyota has the proximity fob. You don't have to insert it into the dashboard.

Still too much fuss to start a Toyota. I can get a greater thrill turning on my KitchenAid.

Yeah, the Mazda is proximity, but it doesn't have a "push-button" ignition. It has a plastic nub on the column where the ignition usually is and acts just like a key. Its got the best of both worlds I think. With the key card in your pocket (or purse) walk up to the car and hit the "request" button on the driver or passenger door (or trunk) and the doors unlock. Get in and turn the nub as if you left your keys in the ignition the whole time.

Good thing too, if the system doesn't work for whatever reason, pop the hidden key out of the key card. Insert key into driver door to unlock it. Pop the plastic nub off the ignition and insert the key into the normal ignition hidden underneath.

say "nub" again
naughty.gif

Hmmmm, push button.... insert object to get it started???

Where have I heard that before?

Sounds like foreplay to me.

So much for the grand Zetec plan :)
My youngest brother bought an '05 (I think) Focus 4-dr ST about the same time I got my SVT last year. He had enough money for an SVT but he was paying everything himself and the FSVT insurance was crazy. I told him to go for the ST because it had good miles and a 100k powertrain warranty. Its fun to drive, gets good mpgs, and there are good little upgrades to do easily (he just put on a Steeda shifter) and CAI.
It looks great with my E1 wheels on in also :)
Good luck, appreciate the generosity of your parents and get a reliable car.
-J

Back