• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thanks Dave!!!!

Are you sure the secondaries are opening or opening all the way? How old are the plugs and wires again? How does the wire harness look? Has is always done this or did it just start? I get a similar problem after I reset the PCM. It takes some time for it to learn the engine again. Give it some time, several drive cycles without resetting the PCM. If anything the more cycles you get in the better the chances it will throw a code and get you closer to figuring out what is going on.

The secondaries open, there is definitely a noticeable increase in power at about 4k. Agaian, this isnt a consistent problem. Im not sure on the plugs and wires, everyone said the wires look original (83k). It only does it after the computer gets reset. if i reset it enough times, i will eventually get lucky and it will be fine, and i leave it alone. I forgot about this and Jarod reset it to see if the rich code comes back.

Last edited:
Stop resetting it. Usually it will run worse than normal when it is learning how the engine works, etc. Give it some time.

Good news, wife reports no more noise when turning with the van. Just must not have liked sitting up on ramps all week. We'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens!

ok well sean how about comparing the engine harnesses on the taurus and the CSVT make sure the wires have not swapped positions on the solenoid. When I ohm'd it out on saturday the IAC was in Spec. 5-11 ohm spec and it was at 10.6 ohms. If I have a bit of time I will come through the wiring diagrams and see if there is a difference.

ok Bobby definitely get your Plugs and wires changed. the misfiring at high rpm could be caused from that reason. I know on my SVTFocus had a cracked plug and it would cause a misfire on high loads.

Dave that is great. I be some how with the heating and cooling it has gone through that maybe a bubble developed in the line and was waiting to be worked out.

oh yeah so if we do anything at my house we have to move the wrecked SVT Focus out of the way. no worries it is not mine. it is a friends and we are stripping it down all the way.

ok Bobby definitely get your Plugs and wires changed. the misfiring at high rpm could be caused from that reason. I know on my SVTFocus had a cracked plug and it would cause a misfire on high loads.
Ok, I'll try to do that asap. Its definitely something more though. Now about every 6 out of 10 times i clutch in for forth or fifth, the rpms just drop and i let out the clutch just in time to catch it. If I keep clutched in and let it go, the car dies.

Stop resetting it. Usually it will run worse than normal when it is learning how the engine works, etc. Give it some time.
I haven't reset it yet. I'm considering it now though since its gotten worse.

Back