• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

swapping to gutted LIM....

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
i have kept the secondaries untouched on the car thus far. i think i've reached a point in the intake system where the secondaries are just holding my intake back too much.

right now i have:

2003 sable motor
SVT cams
3L heads ported
SVT LIM
SVT UIM
Lincoln Mark VIII TB (65mm, optimized)
75MM pro flow MAF
Mazda 6 Aftermarket CAI (customized in bumper, 3" piping)

i'm going to try the gutted LIM and see what it does on the dyno. as it sits now, minus the bigger TB it made 205 WHP and 190 FT/LB no tune.

hopefully i can get a big improvement over 3500 RPM by getting those shafts and butterflies out of there. i am also going to try the 3L UIM split port aluminum intake manifold, just to see how well i can do with that. it will be strange with a low end ported runner on the SVT cams, but its worth a shot. anyone got their .02 for me?

it already makes no torque below 3000.... lol.

i rode in starjammir's car and i liked it. but you are right. after i decide how i want the N/A motor setup done i'll get it tuned. it wouldn't make sense to tune it then change my mind on what intake manifold style i want.

no you really can't you would probably get a bad seal on the heads if you hogged out the heads.

i swapped out the LIM today. it made the car run way better throughout the powerband. it has tons more top end but below 2500 i can notice a small loss in low end torque. but after 3000 it has a whole new tone. its really nice. dyno numbers will be up sometime early next month. i'm going to put up my setup with secondaries, without secondaries, and without secondaries and a split port 3L manifold.

Neither of the graphs below have functioning IMRC runners. The difference is that in one run, the IMRC cable was hooked up to a spring mechanism so that the PCM THOUGHT the IMRC was hooked up & functioning properly. In the other, better graph, the cable was left unhooked. It generates a CEL for the IMRC being stuck open, but as you can see, makes the car MUCH more fun to drive in the lower end. That extra 30ft/lbs or so of torque comes in rather handy. This is on a factory SE PCM, BTW.

IMRCcomparo.jpg

you can't compare a "held open" IMRC to a gutted one. you gain area taking out that huge shaft and such.

and the ports are all done to match, i had to basically, since i have the heads ported so much. :) i do likey starjammir. hopefully i can tune it so the IMRC can be removed from the stupid spring rig job i have on it now.

TRicker has ridden around in my car and I put down halfway decent numbers on the dyno for having a straight 3l, no secondaries and nothing hooked up to the IMRC wires - I threw it out when we did my clutch & headers. The car did have the spring holding the cable taught, but I noticed the cable broke and the car didn't drive any differently. I left the IMRC hooked up, but unhooked it after it went nuts on me one day...

I have noticed the car runs worse in the hotter weather compared to the winter - I'll try and post up my recent dyno sheets, my car has LOTS of low end torque. It does run off the chart rich throughout the entire RPM range, even over 10/1 just idleing...

I'm looking forward to installing a test pipe and high flow cat - definatly break 200/200 with a tune.

It should be over 10:1... WAY over. I think you meant UNDER 10:1 if you're talking rich. Though, if your A/F is anywhere NEAR 10:1 at idle, there's something wrong. A/F should be pegged-lean at idle... like 19:1+. What PCM, injectors & MAFS are you running?
I think you mean Peg-Lean when you let off the gas but at idle it should be at 15.0 or something.

Whoops - got that confused. The only time the A/F is readable in the respectable range is on the ignition cycle - as soon as the car starts to run it goes pig rich, and stays there through most of the RPM range.

I'm running a stock SVT pcm, 3l injectors and stock SVT TB & MA. Basically a full 04' Taurus 3L into a SVT environment. I'll see if I can get a pic of my dyno sheets tonight.

no. you will only see a loss by holding open the secondaries. you ruin the whole idea of the dual plenum intake manifold, and you still have the secondaries in the ports, so your not gaining any flow volume by doing that. the only way to see if they are any good is to gut it and go for it. trust me, ive tried!

and i know kyle, but my car throws a code every time i have the spring off. it has no kick at 3500 and its just flat. when i have the spring hooked up, i have no code, and it pulls harder at 3500 than it did WITH secondaries. i suggest you just tune it out. you will make over 200 just by getting your AFR straightened out.

your car won't make much more power with a test pipe and resonator. the main HP gains seen in the exhaust tract is in the Y pipe and the precats. losing the cat might give you 3-5 HP and the resonator will give you nothing except better sound and maybe a 1hp peak.

Back