• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Parts on a stock D2.5

DirtyBird

CEG'er
So, I'm new to modding my contour, I have a 97' SE almost completely stock. I've wanting to add the SVT TB, UIM, LIM, Injectors, Cam, PCM, and of course the Turbo.... My question is will my engine handle it? It has 150k on it. And I've heard that my pistons, connecting rods, and/or crank wont handle the HP, because the SVT engine has high performance internals and mine doesn't... and also, would everything swap right over, with direct fit?

there is no turbo on the SVT.

all the other parts though will swap right over without issues. also, the SVT doesnt really have any better internals than the standard 2.5L.

since you have a 97 the PCM will not work. you would need a custom tune for the injectors. so just stick with your stock injectors.

since you have a 97 the PCM will not work.
I have an SVT PCM in my ST24 .. which is the same as an SE i believe. Can you explain what problems you expect, since i have the 19lb injectors and my car passes emissions tests with no problems ... G.

I have an SVT PCM in my ST24 .. which is the same as an SE i believe. Can you explain what problems you expect, since i have the 19lb injectors and my car passes emissions tests with no problems ... G.

the 97 here in the states is different than the 98+ (AKA your ST24), therefore, the PCM pinouts are different between the pre-98 and 98+.

Thanks for that Dan. So everything besides the injectors would be fine on his pre 98 ?

If he wants a little overhead with the fuel ... the 255L fuel pump and or FMU will make an acceptable boost (or iron out flat spots) ... or at least that's what i found with a 65mm TB ... G.

OK thanks guys... I know that the SVT doesn't come with the turbo... just somethin I am considering....
If I keep the stock 17lb injectors, are the rest of the parts worth swapping? I want to get the most power and performance out of my engine i can. Will the stock injectors with the stock pcm deliver enough fuel to really get the performance differance? And if I do the 19lb injectors the svt pcm wont work on my car? So what if I did the 19# and reprogrammed the stock pcm?
Thanks for the input guys!

17lb are fine plus I believe if you do 19's you have to use premium. with just the uim, lim,and tb it smooths out the throttle and gives it a much snappier feel. In my opinion the cams aren't worth the work, Ive read they really only give you noticeable power on the upper end and if your like me you probably don't drive that fast often enough for them to be worth it. Just an opinion though.

the 17# injectors will be fine. if you use the 19# injectors you would need a tune or SVT pcm if you have a manual. then the tune would most likely reqire premium fuel. you wouldn't need premium because of the injectors alone.

I'm in the same situation as you are, i have a 1998 contor se v6 automatic :cry: with 150200 miles on it, i"m looking at putting svt parts on it which for me include: UIM,LIM,TB,Suspension, and injectors. Personally at this point the engine is too weak for forced induction, so unless i can get my hands on a contour SVT with less than 100000 miles i won't think about forced induction.

Well my engine still has great compression.... but I think the forced induction is more of a dream for now lol. I decided to go for for outside appearance right now instead of engine stuff... getting tired of the stock body, crackling paint, and stock rims. I am ordering a ground effects body kit, rims & tires, neons, interior goods, and new paint... the UIM, LIM, TB, and injectors will come next year hopefully :)

I have had an SVT UIM, LIM, and TB on my 'Tour for about a year now, with stock everything else. I wouldn't really say it has snappier response, and actually feels like it might have lost a little low-end torque, what I have noticed is better top end preformance and lean codes during long periods of mid-high RPM driving (think 70MPH on a highway for an hour or 2) that go away with some "spirited" high-RPM, low gear runs.

One thing to think about, seems common sense, but if you have a manual you'll need the SVT bracket and throttle cable, since they are completely different, I was able to "modify" an automatic bracket using a BFH, and the automatic cables are basically the same. Also note that if you're running the stock accordian tube, there is no way you are going to fit it on the SVT TB so plan ahead on that. To give you a clearer idea of why it won't fit, consider that my SVT TB (though it is optimized) was able to fit the old TB inside of it.

I have the automatic trans. After some research I've decided not to use the SVT mods, but instead I'll work toward these:
3.0L Duratec, 68mm TB, ECU tuning, ported and polished heads, machined UIM & LIM, Crane Camshafts, Eibach lowering Springs with Koni adjustable struts with Energy Suspension Urethane Bushing, and a larger diameter anti-sway bay, and tuning to the transmission. I have priced everything out yet, but I'm sure it will be around 9g to 10g possibly less. I'll price everthing out and get back when i can.

OK so I found a guy who has what I am looking for. He has the SVT LIM, UIM, TB, bracket and cable, flywheel and clutch, exhaust, injectors and pcm... all for 300 :) So I know the PCM wont work. I do plan on buyin an Xcal2, but I have no idea what im doing with that. I have no idea where to get a tune I am looking for, or how to do it.... the pcm thread on here is either not clear enough, too vague or just over my head since I have never messed with that! And if I do get the Xcal2 and find the tune, would it be better to keep the 17# or go with the 19# for performance?? Thanks a TON for all of your input guys! Its much appreciated

OK so I found a guy who has what I am looking for. He has the SVT LIM, UIM, TB, bracket and cable, flywheel and clutch, exhaust, injectors and pcm... all for 300 :) So I know the PCM wont work. I do plan on buyin an Xcal2, but I have no idea what im doing with that. I have no idea where to get a tune I am looking for, or how to do it.... the pcm thread on here is either not clear enough, too vague or just over my head since I have never messed with that! And if I do get the Xcal2 and find the tune, would it be better to keep the 17# or go with the 19# for performance?? Thanks a TON for all of your input guys! Its much appreciated
i don't know if it is possible to put a 98+ harness in your 97 ... but if it is, you could use an RLJ1 SVT pcm.

BTW; in my opinion, the SVT cams are worth the effort. GL with searching the harness swap info ... G.

Well I don't plan on putting the SVT PCM on the car.... I just want to tune the stock one for the mods an some power increase. I looked all over ebay for a sct xcal 2 or 3. I can't find one that says its compatible with a contour. And im only trying to spend like $300 or so for the tuner.

I haven't found the svt head w/ the cams in my price range yet, so Im not too worried about it for now...

Well I don't plan on putting the SVT PCM on the car.... I just want to tune the stock one for the mods an some power increase. I looked all over ebay for a sct xcal 2 or 3. I can't find one that says its compatible with a contour. And im only trying to spend like $300 or so for the tuner.

I haven't found the svt head w/ the cams in my price range yet, so Im not too worried about it for now...

Get a dyno tune when you are finished to get the most out of the mods you swap on, assuming a dyno shop can tune a 97 Contour (OBDI). The mail order tune is not going to be perfect if you go that route.

Back