• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Engine knock: Can this be repaired???

RIGHT!!! :shocked: I paid $15 for a BRAND NEW one and had it installed in about 20 minutes!

All these post are mute points. As I've said before the IDLER PULLEY was not the issue with a stethoscope they found the bearings were bad on the alternator. That's when we started talking about $430 for replacement.

All these post are mute points. As I've said before the IDLER PULLEY was not the issue with a stethoscope they found the bearings were bad on the alternator. That's when we started talking about $430 for replacement.

I got the. Somehow between when i started to post nd when i finished the post
, there were a couple the squeezed in. Most shops do charge round $100 just to look at it. and the alternator is a PITA! I would have no problems paying a shop to do it for me.

If you've worked on other cars, why not start in with your Contour? You'll save some money and become more familiar with your car. There are a lot of CEG members around your area who might be willing to lend a hand (try coaxing them with beer and pizza).

If you want to tackle it yourself, check out CSVT#49's Write up: Alternator Removal How To I also recommend unbolting the exhaust from the Y-pipe and lowering the catback to give you more room to work.

Re-manufactured alternators for this car are notoriously crappy (I've had two dead on arrival), so get your new one tested before installation. Motorcraft and Napa are the better options, but more pricey. I picked up a Duralast for cheaper, but I'm not expecting it to last long.

I have replaced quite a few alternators on the 3 contours I have owned. If you download the instructions posted earlier in this thread it is pretty straight forward. Some of these guys can get it done really quick, I can do it in about 3-4 hours. I would highly suggest you do it yourself if you have a garage and basic hand-tools.

Already had it done. My garage was very poorly lit and while I did have hand tools, time was the biggest issue. I was working 10 hours a day with 2 hour commute.

Back